Sponsored by:

Tablet install directly into my BOSE system...or not

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 03:16 PM
VAGMan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tablet install directly into my BOSE system...or not

So I'm trying to get everything worked out to install a tablet as a head unit in my wife's 05 S. I see someone recently posted that they were doing/did this. But he isn't posting any updates to a few of us requesting more info...I'm not one to harass another member no matter how cool I think they are!

After doing as much research as I can get my hands on I think I need to replace the entire system with aftermarket bits and pieces.

A) Is my assessment correct or can I basically RCA into the BOSE amp from the audio out of the tablet and all audio is good? (I can work out the power and mounting stuff)
The MOST system seems to make this project impossible to utilize the existing system....so that leads me to...

B) Will bypassing the MOST/BOSE factory system mess anything else up? Warning signals?, electrical issues etc?
I know the cluster display will go away, which I don't really care about losing, but anything else?

When I finally get all the info, I'll certainly post the progress and DIY for all to peruse.

Thanks for any help you can give....
Old 02-22-2014, 03:28 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

the communication to the Bose is via fiber (most)

Since the iPad looks like an iPod any of the systems which hooks up an iPod will work, none cheap

You might be able to use the speakers but it sounds like a waste of time to me
Old 02-23-2014, 01:55 AM
VAGMan
Rennlist Member

Thanks for your reply

OK, so the BOSE is integral to the MOST Fiber system then? So I should just bypass the whole system?
I thought it was basically added onto/from the head unit. So then nothing else really depends on the MOST system?

I'm planning on going with an Android LTE connected tab. It will stream all my media and offer constant navigation through regular Google Maps and connect with my phone for handsfree calling etc.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:54 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Given the amount of screening inside the cabin I seriously doubt you will get the performance you desire without an external GPS antenna
Old 02-23-2014, 03:02 PM
VAGMan
Rennlist Member

I'll drive around with the nav on with it in the glove compartment to test. There are several people who have this mod in their SUV and swear by the performance of the nav.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:06 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

their SUV a Cayenne ?
Old 02-23-2014, 05:15 PM
RacerX5
Intermediate

The problem with using a tablet is the somewhat limited storage capability for a large music library. Assuming you're going through the massive amount of work of redesigning the dash, and complete audio system, I think it would be worth it to do a PC instead. There are small PC chassis than can be mounted remotely, (like in place of the CD changer), where the PC power supply runs on 12v. The bonus of such an arrangement is that you can couple this to a small touch screen monitor, and have a hard drive of several TB. Plenty of good options for excellent navigation systems that are PC based. Then you also have a truly powerful mobile PC, instead of a more limited tablet...anything you could run or install on a home PC you could run in your car.

Everyone thinks they can put a gazillion songs on their tablet or iPhone, but the minute you run them through a good stereo, either in your home or car, you soon find out that your iTunes downloads sound like crap. To sound even remotely decent on a good stereo, digital music must be recorded at a very high bit rate, (not the default iTunes rate). Better yet...lossless format. You will find that instead of 1,000 songs, at high bit rate, you phone or table might only hold a hundred. And that's not enough. So you need massive data storage. While a high end tablet PC might deliver this, I don't think anything running Android can. And I think you could have cooling issues with a tablet PC in the dash. BTW, the mobile PC setups I'm talking about are nothing new, this is now almost 10yr old technology, now several design generations old, so no need to break any new ground.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:01 PM
CaptJim
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From a technology standpoint. I believe we will see more of this in our lifetime. Our devices, tablet or smartphone will only integrate more and more with our cars. I already use my online music and SiriusXM through my phone, not to mention Bluetooth phone calls. Soon enough, auto manufacturers will realize that cannot design the proprietary electronics as fast as an "app" can be developed. I believe we will soon be having our cars connected with a dedicated connections to the cell phone data infrastructure.

Its comming....
Old 02-23-2014, 10:07 PM
VAGMan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mudman2
their SUV a Cayenne ?

Yeah, I have seen 2 people with the Cayenne (an 04 and an 08 TT) Neither complain of losing gps lock...but I agree with your concern. I'll drive tomorrow and see if it retains gps sufficiently.

Originally Posted by RacerX5
The problem with using a tablet is the somewhat limited storage capability for a large music library. Assuming you're going through the massive amount of work of redesigning the dash, and complete audio system, I think it would be worth it to do a PC instead. There are small PC chassis than can be mounted remotely, (like in place of the CD changer), where the PC power supply runs on 12v. The bonus of such an arrangement is that you can couple this to a small touch screen monitor, and have a hard drive of several TB. Plenty of good options for excellent navigation systems that are PC based. Then you also have a truly powerful mobile PC, instead of a more limited tablet...anything you could run or install on a home PC you could run in your car.

Everyone thinks they can put a gazillion songs on their tablet or iPhone, but the minute you run them through a good stereo, either in your home or car, you soon find out that your iTunes downloads sound like crap. To sound even remotely decent on a good stereo, digital music must be recorded at a very high bit rate, (not the default iTunes rate). Better yet...lossless format. You will find that instead of 1,000 songs, at high bit rate, you phone or table might only hold a hundred. And that's not enough. So you need massive data storage. While a high end tablet PC might deliver this, I don't think anything running Android can. And I think you could have cooling issues with a tablet PC in the dash. BTW, the mobile PC setups I'm talking about are nothing new, this is now almost 10yr old technology, now several design generations old, so no need to break any new ground.
I hear you on quality. I don't use iTunes at all (I'm anti-Apple actually) I have the old version of Google Play that utilizes my 23gb of personal cloud stored music of 256k bit and higher bit rate music. I got that front taken care of.
I get unlimited high speed data on all my devices through my work so I don't have to worry about data caps or throttling etc.

But in general, you all agree that if I utilize a completely new circuit (amp, speakers, sub, etc.) I shouldn't have any on-board errors or issues internally with the car/dash?
Old 02-23-2014, 10:09 PM
VAGMan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CaptJim
From a technology standpoint. I believe we will see more of this in our lifetime. Our devices, tablet or smartphone will only integrate more and more with our cars. I already use my online music and SiriusXM through my phone, not to mention Bluetooth phone calls. Soon enough, auto manufacturers will realize that cannot design the proprietary electronics as fast as an "app" can be developed. I believe we will soon be having our cars connected with a dedicated connections to the cell phone data infrastructure.

Its comming....

For sure! It's technically already here. The Tesla is one giant tablet in the console and Ford has their SYNC system and several car companies just partnered with Google to develop it further (announced at CES this year).
Old 02-24-2014, 12:36 AM
RacerX5
Intermediate

Well it should not be hard to improve on the sound quality of the factory Bose system. I yanked a Bose system from my Infiniti to install JL amps and sub, MB Quart speakers, and the sound improvement is amazing. Wait 'till you pull out the first Bose speaker and hold it next to a quality replacement. The Bose speakers are garbage, and the amp is not much better. But the Cayenne is even more 'integrated' than my Infiniti. Elements of the trip computer, navigation, phone, gauge center display, steering wheel controls are all tied together. A really good stereo shop can make a good amount of this function again, but even then, expect problems. This is not DIY stuff, we're talking many dollars spent at a high end stereo shop. But while the cost may be massive, the end result can be amazing. Just be glad you're not trying to upgrade a BMW iDrive.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:05 AM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know that there are android head units that are available for the Touareg that communicate with the factory system and you get full functionality of the center display, etc PLUS the android apps that can be downloaded. I think they have a 20 gig storage as well... let me see if I can find the site....OMP.....

Here it is: ANDROID HEAD UNIT
Old 02-24-2014, 07:23 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

not sure MOST tho
Old 02-24-2014, 08:00 AM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

not sure MOST tho
Me either. But send him a message. Couldn't hurt.

I know Rob Bud (active on the 928 forum) removed his system and replaced it with something else. Can't remember what, though. Maybe send him a PM and he can tell you what he did.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:00 PM
VAGMan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 69gaugeman
I know that there are android head units that are available for the Touareg that communicate with the factory system and you get full functionality of the center display, etc PLUS the android apps that can be downloaded. I think they have a 20 gig storage as well... let me see if I can find the site....OMP.....

Here it is: ANDROID HEAD UNIT
not sure MOST tho

Yeah, that's basically my question. The MOST seems to put a roadblock everywhere. Does the cluster need the MOST system to work at all? Like warnings and notice's etc.? I don't think that Android head unit works with the MOST. Still need to get the bridge (which I'm trying to avoid) to make it work with stock Bose setup.

Quick Reply: Tablet install directly into my BOSE system...or not