Sponsored by:

2008 cayenne turbo engine wall scored

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 02:27 PM
ndx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Fix what? There's no problem to fix. Repairing an issue is admission of guilt and thats what kills them in a Class Action.

Ok wrong name, Design improvement ?

Have you had to fix any 2011+ V8 ?

at this point or heard of any failures.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:56 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Its not a design issue. The issue is running clearance related and is catalyzed by environmental variables.

Our work has been applied to all generations of Cayenne engine from start to finish. The Panamera is also suffering the same issues, with the manufacturer altering oil consumption tolerances to fit the consumption thats occurring.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:06 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

I thought most of these engine issues were resolved in 09ish?

Where is the thread that discuss reliability and issues to look out for by model year?
Old 11-18-2014, 03:25 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Time tells if issues are resolved, or not. A change doesn't constitute success.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:32 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

Time tells if issues are resolved, or not. A change doesn't constitute success.
Some of these motors have well over 200k on them sufficient data should exist
Old 11-18-2014, 03:37 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by audipwr1
Some of these motors have well over 200k on them sufficient data should exist
I agree, but most of those are not the latest generation that I was asked about.
The Cayenne engine is by far MY FAVORITE Porsche offering, it needs the least amount of component development of any other modern Porsche engine.

That said, other than cylinder issues, the only thing we see are worn valve guides and loose intake camshaft vane cell adjusters…

If you are an unlucky one with a cylinder failure, thats just bad luck. Don't play the lottery.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:20 PM
westy66
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL Jake, real funny. I DO have bad luck and it didn't surprise me that I was 1/1000 that had a cylinder fail.

a class action would protect us consumers after our warranties have expired. Now, Porsche can just throw their hands up and shrug prior to offering us a $30,000 rebuild.... which is laughable.

I had mine rebuilt last winter. It was -5°F last night with the windchill. The last thing I want to do is worry about a ticking time bomb under my hood because I live in a northern climate. I'm off to buy a dipstick warmer I saw at Tractor Supply tomorrow
Old 11-18-2014, 08:52 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ndx
Jake,

How about 2011+ CS/TT ?

They changed engine size from 4.5 to 4.8
They added Oil Squirters in the S ?

I would imagine Porsche would finally fix this by now ?

Anyways if my MY11 S will get scored ... I will put the Cayenne V6 engine in it .... I think beside engine and computer, differential everything should bolt on ...
Porsche's reputation for building engines lately has been nothing short of laughable. Pretty disappointing! I wouldn't touch a Porsche engine unless its a turbo.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:20 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Someone needs to figure out how to retrofit the little gas aux heaters (park heater as the manual calls it) that the euro cars get. HVAC control, the webasto heater, some fuel lines, some coolant lines, and a harness. I've been looking at the parts diagrams and there isn't much to it. A warm interior and warm engine block without plugging in the car would be amazing. The tdi tregs have them, and I feel like I remember that the 03 years offered the park heater as an option, but the EPA or something wouldn't federalize them because the fuel system wasn't closed. So they shipped them back and removed the option. Maybe some of the OG cayenne owners remember that.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:07 AM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ndx

Anyways if my MY11 S will get scored ... I will put the Cayenne V6 engine in it .... I think beside engine and computer, differential everything should bolt on ...
My 04 S engine had a scored cylinder which resulted in an engine replacement. When I decided to give Cayennes another shot since I really liked how they handled as SUVs, I went for an 09 V6 with minimal electronic options. So far so good.

I'm considering a diesel Macan as my next car, though I'm not in a hurry.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:42 AM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wrinkledpants

Someone needs to figure out how to retrofit the little gas aux heaters (park heater as the manual calls it) that the euro cars get. HVAC control, the webasto heater, some fuel lines, some coolant lines, and a harness. I've been looking at the parts diagrams and there isn't much to it. A warm interior and warm engine block without plugging in the car would be amazing. The tdi tregs have them, and I feel like I remember that the 03 years offered the park heater as an option, but the EPA or something wouldn't federalize them because the fuel system wasn't closed. So they shipped them back and removed the option. Maybe some of the OG cayenne owners remember that.
I worked on a 2006 S Titanium which had the park heater. It was a US car, but it's the only one I've seen with it. The weirdest thing was that the car was from Fairbanks, Alaska, and did not have heated seats.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:49 AM
Doug_B_928
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by wrinkledpants
That's really interesting....wasn't aware of it.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:08 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts

We used to throw a ight wattage trouble light under the hood when parked all night in WY. Not neat but it made a diff.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:10 PM
MAGNUM08
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, but most of those are not the latest generation that I was asked about.
The Cayenne engine is by far MY FAVORITE Porsche offering, it needs the least amount of component development of any other modern Porsche engine.

That said, other than cylinder issues, the only thing we see are worn valve guides and loose intake camshaft vane cell adjusters…

If you are an unlucky one with a cylinder failure, thats just bad luck. Don't play the lottery.
Honestly I don't feel unlucky in this case as my CTT has had a tough life with the turbo upgrade since being delivered with 7 miles. It at the moment as 78k miles and I don't baby the car one bit. I'm just not sure I want to drop 30k range on 2008 car. That's my dilemma.

Quick Reply: 2008 cayenne turbo engine wall scored