Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 cayenne turbo engine wall scored

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 06:52 PM
westy66
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i asked him if there were any different part numbers or any service bulletins regarding any changes to the pistons, rings, cylinder walls, linings, etc. And thats what he found. He wasnt implying that it had anything to do with cylinder wall scoring, just that something was changed in that realm.

my motor was pulled today. anyone ever seen the engine jig/table?

Old 04-05-2014, 02:36 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 128 Posts

Great pics. Please post more as the project progresses. Thanks!

Best,
TomF
Old 04-05-2014, 05:30 PM
TurboTodd
Advanced

who is doing the engine removal and repair?
Old 07-20-2014, 08:08 PM
Scott1956
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How is your engine repair going?

For any DIY's out there it is possible to pull it out the front.

You need some special tools but I think it was easier then my son's Mustang GT to get in and out.

Scott
Old 11-15-2014, 07:48 PM
MAGNUM08
Track Day

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
The TT engines can fail, usually there's a common denominator. Almost all the work we have done with the Cayenne engines has been in Canada, and even for Canadian dealerships, because the replacement engines just do it all over again.

Send it on! It's dying to be a 5.1!

My 2008 Cayenne Turbo 957TT started to develop a loud ticking sound. I then did a compression/leakdown test which revealed that cylinder 8 (Driver side) had 45% leak and is losing compression, it being 160 and all others were 230. The car began its life in Chicago for the first 30K miles and since then it's lived in Los Angeles and my current miles are 80K. When doing a leakdown test and oil cap removed it seems all the air was escaping through the crankcase. Can it be blown rings? Thinking it might be a scored wall. Can you pm me some options for rebuild?
Old 11-16-2014, 04:40 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGNUM08
My 2008 Cayenne Turbo 957TT started to develop a loud ticking sound. I then did a compression/leakdown test which revealed that cylinder 8 (Driver side) had 45% leak and is losing compression, it being 160 and all others were 230. The car began its life in Chicago for the first 30K miles and since then it's lived in Los Angeles and my current miles are 80K. When doing a leakdown test and oil cap removed it seems all the air was escaping through the crankcase. Can it be blown rings? Thinking it might be a scored wall. Can you pm me some options for rebuild?
Sounds like a classic scenario of cylinder failure. This starts with ticking just like a lifter, then it starts to eat oil. The excess crankcase pressure is from those failing cylinders, as they create a loss of ring seal. This also generally starts with bank 2 of the engine, since the factory pin offset is backward on that side of the engine vs bank 1 (yes, you read that correctly).

I don't do the PM thing here, we track all inquiries and fill in our failure log for each failure thats reported. I do this as a researcher, to gather trend data.

Please email jud@rabyenginedevelopment.com
Jud will log the failure and set you up with a time to speak with me for options.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:43 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts

Sounds nasty. This is really scary stuff. Off warranty total engine failure on, a what, $35k engine in a $35k at retail vehicle?

Flat should fix you up. Good luck.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:56 PM
westy66
Instructor

It's almost time for a class action lawsuit, this is bull****. My cpo is up in july I love this thing but I gotta get rid of it.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:14 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by westy66
It's almost time for a class action lawsuit, this is bull****. My cpo is up in july I love this thing but I gotta get rid of it.
Good luck with that. My indie tech told me Porsche still won't admit to the IM shaft issue that caused grenading of 996 engines at a much higher rate than V8s suffer scored cylinders.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:05 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Gavels solve nothing mechanical. These shortcomings are why we buy new engines and tear them down as soon as they are released.. Gotta be first on the scene with the fix before the cars are out of warranty.

All a class action suit does is put money in lawyers hands and negatively impact the reputation of the vehicles. It's not a win for the owners, as it solidifies that there is a fault.... That's what happened with M96 IMS Bearings. We were thought of as fear mongers that were making up failures just to scare people into retrofitting their IMSB and using our products...

Them came along the class action suit and it was settled. All of a sudden we were right and it was all accepted. It's a shame that people need that sort of press to take something seriously.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:18 AM
MAGNUM08
Track Day

Sounds like a classic scenario of cylinder failure. This starts with ticking just like a lifter, then it starts to eat oil. The excess crankcase pressure is from those failing cylinders, as they create a loss of ring seal. This also generally starts with bank 2 of the engine, since the factory pin offset is backward on that side of the engine vs bank 1 (yes, you read that correctly).

I don't do the PM thing here, we track all inquiries and fill in our failure log for each failure thats reported. I do this as a researcher, to gather trend data.

Please email jud@rabyenginedevelopment.com
Jud will log the failure and set you up with a time to speak with me for options.
Email sent to Jud. I found a few used 4.8 turbo motors in UK and also 958tt not sure if it will bolt up but sounds good and all. Just trying to see what options is best? Obviously building the motor is top on the list.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:44 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Is your car showing signs of scored cylinders? flat6 says he can count the number of failures on turbo engines on one hand so I wouldn't worry to much!
Old 11-18-2014, 11:15 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Email sent to Jud. I found a few used 4.8 turbo motors in UK and also 958tt not sure if it will bolt up but sounds good and all. Just trying to see what options is best? Obviously building the motor is top on the list.
Jud spoke to me and says that he has replied to your email.

Yes, the number of cylinder failures with TT engines are much less. This is more true with the early cars where we seldom ever see a scored TT bore. The 08 and later engines are a little different, as we find that most of the TT cylinder issues occur with these later engines. DFI is also playing its part in this, due to the cylinder wash down when the engine is first started. Thats a variable that the earlier engines didn't share.

Remember, fuel is a solvent, not a lubricant, and all the excess fuel thats dumped into cylinders to get the cats to light off early is not a good thing for engine internals.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:44 PM
ndx
Racer

Jud spoke to me and says that he has replied to your email.

Yes, the number of cylinder failures with TT engines are much less. This is more true with the early cars where we seldom ever see a scored TT bore. The 08 and later engines are a little different, as we find that most of the TT cylinder issues occur with these later engines. DFI is also playing its part in this, due to the cylinder wash down when the engine is first started. Thats a variable that the earlier engines didn't share.

Remember, fuel is a solvent, not a lubricant, and all the excess fuel thats dumped into cylinders to get the cats to light off early is not a good thing for engine internals.
Jake,

How about 2011+ CS/TT ?

They changed engine size from 4.5 to 4.8
They added Oil Squirters in the S ?

I would imagine Porsche would finally fix this by now ?

Anyways if my MY11 S will get scored ... I will put the Cayenne V6 engine in it .... I think beside engine and computer, differential everything should bolt on ...
Old 11-18-2014, 01:56 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

I would imagine Porsche would finally fix this ?
Fix what? There's no problem to fix. Repairing an issue is admission of guilt and thats what kills them in a Class Action.

Quick Reply: 2008 cayenne turbo engine wall scored