Sponsored by:

Sound System Anomaly

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 11:34 AM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts
Default Sound System Anomaly

Three times now I"ve started the 957TT and the sound system won't work. It's all lit up and seems to be functioning but no sound. Toggling the Mute button makes the Mute annunciator turn on and off but that doesn't change that no sound is coming out of the 'radio'. It is very much like the Mute is on, but it's clearly not.

Each time this has occurred, I drive for a bit in silence and then stop for a while and turn the car on again to have all functioning normally. Is this a known glitch? If so, please let me know and what may be a cure. If not, can someone knowledgeable speculate? I find it annoying.

On another note, I find this car to be a mixture of both joy and strangeness. I had no idea a vehicle could combine the performance and comfort of our 957TT but the extraneous and unreliable electronics confuse the heck out of me. Gee, but would I like this car but strip out all the silly lighting, change the HVAC to a simple set of levers and *****, dump the silly TV set / radio and give me back just a friggin' RADIO, dump the stupid rain sensing wipers - I can tell when it's raining out and while we're at it, dump the stupid motor which works the hatch. If I'm too decrepit to work a hatch, I don't belong on the road.

Oh, yeah, how about a plain steel ignition / door key rather than some huge fob which seems to question my motives when I ask it to comm with the rest of the car.

/rant off
Old 01-25-2014, 03:07 PM
digitaljok
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try checking the battery. My original battery from the factory started causing some intermittent electrical issues including with the PCM around the 4.5 year mark. I changed it recently at the 5 year mark and things have improved. Not sure if everything is perfect, but definitely improved. The electronics on board seem to be a bit sensitive.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:51 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

I had a similar thought. Good suggestion. Thx.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:58 PM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Pretty common problem on 955's.
Just have to get out and lock the car. Then unlock get in and all seems fine.y guess it that there is a relay that gets stick and doesn't allow the power from the amp to operate the sound. All looks normal. Just no sound. Annoying.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:48 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

its a feature
Old 01-26-2014, 11:55 AM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Originally Posted by seafeye
Just have to get out and lock the car. Then unlock get in and all seems fine.y guess it that there is a relay that gets stick and doesn't allow the power from the amp to operate the sound. All looks normal. Just no sound. Annoying.
Ah, so it was the lock / unlock which did it rather than the engine restart. Thanks.

BTW, per the earlier suggestion, the battery WAS low. I have no idea if it's OEM, but wouldn't be surprised. If so, being a 2008, it's due.
Old 12-18-2015, 12:33 PM
rbaron
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by seafeye
Now that it's become cold I'm having this intermittent no radio problem again. My battery is new so I'm going to try the lock/unlock protocol but do I really need to get out of the car and then back in for this to work?

No, wait, I've been driving this car since 2004 and I have to ask this question?

Old 12-18-2015, 12:37 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Its a feature they decided to carry over to the 16's with a little less frequency

Quick Reply: Sound System Anomaly