Sponsored by:

Cayenne S or E500 4matic?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 08:31 AM
OVRSTR
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cayenne S or E500 4matic?

Hello all. I'm new to the forum and absolutely racking my brain with the following decision. Please let me explain. My current lease on my '00 Audi 2.7t is up this Tuesday. I currently have a refundable deposit on an '04 MB E500 4matic with the sport package. The new 4matics are not due in my area until October (Long Island, N.Y.). Two weeks ago when I was on vacation I test drove an '04 Cayenne S. First of all, I hate trucks! The sloppy handling and sluggish responses do nothing for me. Then I drove the Cayenne and now everythings changed. The handling was crisp, the interior comfortable and the exhaust note from that V8 was absolutely inspiring! I'm married with three girls (ages 5, 2 and 5 mos) so the utility of the Cayenne appeals to me but the Benz has very comfortable accomodations also. My other cars are an '88 930 (the toy) and an '03 all-wheel drive Town & Country minivan (the family rig). The Cayenne or the Benz will be my daily driver and I'm primarily alone when I drive. All-wheel drive is mandatory due to my Long Island location coupled with my steep 200' long driveway during the winter season. If I do go with the Cayenne, lease or buy? I like the flexibility of a purchase since I can get out when I want but the Cayenne is such an unknown entity that its value in about three years is completely unknown. The E-class Benz's are pretty rock solid as far as resale is concerned. There are two Cayennes in my area I have my eye on but I'm totally and completely confused and in need of some friendly advice for or against and lease versus buy, etc. I apologize for the long winded post but I guess it illustrates my confusion fairly well! Thanks in advance for your replies as I need to make up my mind NOW as Tuesday the 29th. is pretty close. Mike
Old 07-23-2003, 09:35 AM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Use the search function @ the upper right on the home page. You can get targeted info that can help you quickly. Welcome to one of the best forums..
Old 07-23-2003, 11:59 AM
OVRSTR
Instructor

Torags, I tried with no luck. Thanks for the reply though. No opinions anyone? BUMP
Old 07-23-2003, 01:04 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 392 Likes on 227 Posts

I know this is is Cayenne board hence this may not be the answer you're really looking for but I would personally buy the E- unless you're towing or would really be using the car off road. If you're buying, the resale will be far superior to the Cayenne and I would bet (this would be dependent on the dealer of course) that the service would be superior as well. Not to mention the new E is one beautiful car.

I personally would not own any SUV unless I felt I really needed it.
Old 07-23-2003, 01:42 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

George from MD, that is a good honest assessment.

The problem is OVRSTR has been bitten. He knows full well what you have said and probably agrees with it. He has come here to get reassurance.

Next he'll get a tow hitch on the Pepper and buy a boat to tow. This will help in the justification to his bride. Then comes the Hawaaian shirts, the Mexican beer.... There's no end.
Old 07-23-2003, 02:08 PM
OVRSTR
Instructor

George thank you for your honest reply. As Torags stated, I agree with everything you say. I just feel that the MB is something you see coming and going every day and the Cayenne is really fresh and different. Torags, funny statement about the boat. I've already got one but it's a bit too big to tow despite the Cayenne's prodigious capacity.
Old 07-23-2003, 02:11 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I also considered waiting for the 500 wagon 4-matic, I am totally pleased with my decision, not even 1 regret. S, Titanium/Black
Old 07-23-2003, 03:06 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

OVRSTR if you do decide to get a Pepper, try to get a later build. PAG has made some modifications. For example: They're now shipping one battery with a smaller Woofer. Posts' indicate a spare can fit.

You can see what's in (or coming into) inventory, in every Porche dealer in the world, on the dealers' website (SAP software).

When you scroll down on the model year in their inventory, notice the string at the bottom of your window's frame. The last 6 or 7 numbers in the string is the vehicle id. The higher that number the later the build date.

You're infected, good luck.........
Old 07-23-2003, 06:12 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

The taxman might make it a no-brainer, if it ever was one. I own a TT
Old 07-24-2003, 08:39 AM
JeffES
Pro

Welllllllllll....
The E class has finally returned to good steering/feel/control - for what you describe as a daily driver/one person need combined with decent utility, the Benz does quite well.
If you plan on leasing, it's a wash (Cayenne vs. Benz) - shop for the best combination of factors that suit you. If you plan on buying with hope of good resale, you're gambling. Generally, high end SUV's have not fared well after four or five years (repair costs for Land Cruisers & Range Rovers can get pretty high). The Cayenne is a complete unknown here, where the Benz is a known figure.
Sounds like you just need to figure out which one fits your wants....
J
Old 07-24-2003, 09:51 AM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Needs and wants........ Two decidely different catagories.......
Old 07-24-2003, 10:04 AM
JeffES
Pro

Needs??? We'd be driving Fiat Pandas... or walking... or riding ol' Red :-)
Old 07-24-2003, 08:00 PM
ozr
Racer

Talking

OVRSTR,

In your case, I'd simplify your choice. It's between SUV and sedan. I preffer sedan always, unless need SUV utility and unplowed snow drive. In that case I'd recommend:

1. CayenneS- SUV drives like V8 german good sedan

if not, only then
2. E500sport non4matic, but regular,- sport sedan

4matic sedan/wagon has a limitted help for winter w deep unplowed snow on a long driveway. If you plow regularly you'll be fine w E500sport without 4matic but w good snow tires.

4matic gives some 4traction, doesn't drive in unplowed driveway, like CayenneS or ML. 4matic doesn't have ground clearance of CayenneS in unplowed driveway, but takes away sport fun. It's slower, than regular sedan.

I'd go in your case w CayenneS, would lease it for 42-48 mo 12mi/y, would sell minivan.
Old 07-25-2003, 03:42 AM
OVRSTR
Instructor

Thanks for all your opinions. I'd welcome more if there are any. My decision must be made today. Does anyone have any experience between the two specifically regarding handling? My Audi felt extremely heavy, it was never light on its feet. That's why I'm not considering another Audi, it plain was not fun to drive. My decision is coming down to what vehicle will be more entertaining over a three year period. Feedback?
Old 07-25-2003, 05:27 AM
JeffES
Pro

Ovrstr...
Interesting that you mention steering. Audi has made the "Servotronic" steering (boosted power steering) standard in the US for several years, and many have noted, like you, a certain lack of steering feel. The previous generation E class had a similar feel, but the new E returns to the good feel of Mercedes past. The comments I've heard is that the E class steers/feels like a lighter/smaller car.
While I do very much like the Cayenne, it doesn't (to me) sound like what you're looking for...... just my opinion, of course.
J

Quick Reply: Cayenne S or E500 4matic?