Sponsored by:

2015 Cayenne vs Tesla Model X

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 12:42 PM
pmacan
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Cayenne vs Tesla Model X

Is there anyone in the market for 2015 Cayenne also considering Tesla Model X? I test drove Model S and really liked it but what I need is an SUV and AWD. So I am looking into Cayenne but Model X should be coming out as 2015 model year too. Tesla has excellent performance, should fit my commute and has a great story such as big touch screen, free super charging so on. Compared to Porsche, Tesla (Model S) lacks refinement, build quality questionable, interior doesn’t convince it is 100k (US $) car. Just wondering if anyone cross-shopping with Model X? I don’t have any stake in Tesla, but I would suggest you test drive Model S just to experience the electric car, it feels totally different! Happy New Year!
Old 01-06-2014, 02:01 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 181 Posts

Its tough to cross-shop on a vehicle that won't be available until late 2015. I called Tesla and they confirmed the availability date. The X looks to be a great SUV. I test drove the Model S performance version, what a rocket. So expect the X to be of similar performance. Recognizing that straight line acceleration is not the only reason to select a vehicle, I chose my 2014 CD for its build quality, versatility, great fuel economy, a significantly lower price than the Model X and the fact that Porsche will almost certainly be around to support my vehicle in the years to come. As far a fuel economy is concerned, the CD uses a bit more than a Toyota Corolla. Something I can live with at $8/gallon. By the way, the 250 mile range is a special setting for the Model S, not everyday range.
We just filled up the CD for the second time in 6 weeks of ownership. Loving the diesel range and stealth performance.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:07 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,311 Likes on 822 Posts

I've spent a considerable amount of time in a Tesla Model S with the 85 KW battery and the performance package. It's a pretty amazing vehicle. Based on that experience, I began to research the Model X as we look for a replacement for my wife's Cayenne S. Unfortunately for me, the timing of the Model X launch doesn't work well for me. We will most likely buy her new SUV this spring. I do agree with your comments about the Tesla not quite convincing me that it's a $100K+ vehicle.

We've decided to go with a slightly smaller SUV than the original Cayenne. We're seriously considering the BMW X3 xdrive35 and the Audi Q5. We're looking at the Q5 diesel as well as the SQ5. I'd seriously consider the Porsche Macan too, but I don't think it will be available until later in the year.

The small/midsize SUV segment is pretty competitive right now and there are some really interesting choices out there.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:09 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I wouldn't look at an E-SUV yet myself. My issue is range as our SUV is our travel vehicle and the "E" cars just aren't good at that (without detailed planning and extra stop overs). Additionally SUVs are supposed to be "utility" and I think being dependent on a charging station reduces a lot of utility (running out of "fuel" in an out of the way area (or off road) can become an expensive mistake fast).
Old 01-06-2014, 02:21 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,311 Likes on 822 Posts

My other concern is battery efficiency in cold weather. It was below zero at my houe this morning, and I wonder about how this would impact range.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:01 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Would love to see some real world testing with the Tesla on the East Coast right now.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:59 AM
pmacan
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speaking of 2105 came across this spy video -
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...enne-spy-video
Old 01-07-2014, 09:04 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something wrong with the cargo door sections of the rear light lenses on that test car. Circumferential lines don't align with the quarter panel sections. I wonder if they put a current cargo door on a facelift car (or in this case a butt lift)? I sure hope MY2015 finally gives North American buyers the Diesel S model.

//greg//
Old 01-07-2014, 09:36 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Standard disguise panels to break up what it really looks like

Quick Reply: 2015 Cayenne vs Tesla Model X