Sponsored by:

Vibration Starts at 1100 RPM

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 10:53 AM
Mtea
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Vibration Starts at 1100 RPM

I brought home a CPO 2013 base Cayenne with 8,000 miles a few days ago. I like my 964 so I thought I'd give it the SUV a whirl. I test drove on snowy roads and everything seemed OK, but when I got on normal roads post purchase I noticed a vibration when slowing down and RPMs dropped to about 1700. I kicked it into neutral and the vibration stopped so it must be related to engine RPM. When stopped and in park I slowly raised the engine RPM and the vibration clearly starts at 1100 RPM and goes away at around 1700. Questions:

Has anybody else experienced this i.e am I nuts?

Could it be related to exhaust note in that RPM range?

I won't be able to get back to the dealer for a few days and I want to be prepared for that discussion. I love the way it drives and am kicking myself now (repeatedly) for not for not noticing on my test drive. Thanks for any help.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:12 PM
MMHZ
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ibrations.html

Check the downpipes
Old 01-05-2014, 12:53 PM
Mtea
Instructor

Thanks MMHZ. I checked out that thread and it certainly sounds like my affliction. I will sleep better until I get back to the dealership knowing that a fix might be possible.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:41 AM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats my thread from a year ago, Cayenne has been vibration free ever since.

Your symptoms sound pretty much like mine, here are some more details cut-and-paste from questions on the issue from my profile page:

Mine did at first feel like a wheel balance vibration, but only between 1100 and 1300 rpm. So for example in the followings cases:
- accelerating from idle and passing 1100 rpm
- deaccelerating and comming down to idle passing 1300 rpm
- doing around 45 mph in traffic which is around that rpm.
- and being stopped in neutral, and reving engine to exactly 1100 rpm and holding it there.
I could feel it in the steering and car in general (again just like wheel balance issue)

And here is a cut-and-paste from the warranty repairs done, that somebody had asked me to send them:

Client feels a vibration at 1100 RPM.
Bring car into shop and feel engine vibration at 1100 RPM.
Put vehicle on lift.
With second technician in car keeping RPM at 1100, notice vibration from both downpipes.
Take video to confirm problem.
Both flexibles too soft, causing the vibration.

Remove plastic engine cover.
Remove heat shields blocking headers.
Remove 4 O2 sensors that are seized.
Use heat torch to remove 6 nuts on down pipe.
Put vehicle on lift.
Remove panel under engine.
Support engine and transmission.
Remove transmission support and drive shaft between transfer case and front differential.
Remove collets with grinder since they are rusted.
Undo down pipe supports.
Remove downpipes.
Install new downpipes.
Re-install all removed pieces.
Re-connect and wire O2 sensors.
Test vehicle.
No more vibration.

Parts:
POR 95811302162
POR 95811302261
POR 95511111340
POR 95511111340
POR N10209077
Labour: 4.4h
Old 01-08-2014, 10:59 AM
Mtea
Instructor

steve_Cayenne - That sounds exactly like my symptoms. I hear mine when decelerating down through 1800 rpm to around 1100. When driving around around between 25 to 35 mph it's bad too. The rpms are in that range. Also when sitting in park and slowly up the rpms it starts to vibrate or drone at the 1100 mark. I'm going to take your work order to the local dealer to see if they can fix me up. Thanks.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:44 AM
Mtea
Instructor

To close the loop... The dealer did note vibrations in the down pipes and changed them under warranty. It did get better but was no where near gone so I decided to cut my losses and move on. The dealer gave me what I thought was a fair trade-in value and also a good price on a 2014 Diesel Platinum Edition. What a difference! The diesel is sweet; we have already bonded for a long term relationship.

The dealer was super to work with in solving the problem but Porsche was another story. The Customer Commitment department sent me a certificate for $500 dollars to compensate me for my inconvenience as soon as I said there was a problem with my original purchase. It is good for $500 of Porsche service or gear BUT, it has to be used all at once AND it can only be used for the vehicle it was issued for (couldn't use it for my 964). The message sent was, "here's $500 for your trouble, but we really don't want you to be able to use it".

After the failed repair, I told the Customer Commitment department that the 2013 was unsatisfactory for a $58,000 SUV and asked whether they could help me in finding a new replacement vehicle. Like the first verse of "The Weight", "NO was all he said". This being the Customer Commitment department, I asked him, "what exactly is Porsche's "customer commitment"? He had no idea. As a marketing executive myself, I can safely say that is part of the problem.

Back to the $500 "so sorry for your trouble" certificate.... Because I no longer own the vehicle causing the trouble, the certificate is now worthless. I once again called the Customer Commitment department to ask whether they might issue me a new certificate with the VIN of my new CD on it so I could actually use the certificate. After checking with a supervisor, the agent called me back and said they could do that. That was over three weeks ago and I have no certificate yet. Come to think of it, I have not received the customary new car delivery survey for the new CD either. After my experience, it seems they should want to know whether I am now satisfied with my interaction with Porsche. Then again, maybe not.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:14 PM
westy66
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Porsche NA has no friggen idea what customer service is, nor do the 22 year old customer commitment girls that were calling me to check up on my engine rebuilding process. i got $600, same fine print bull****.

Quick Reply: Vibration Starts at 1100 RPM