Sponsored by:

Stripped Oil Drain Plug

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 10:37 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stripped Oil Drain Plug

So in the course of replacing my oil this weekend, I managed to finally strip the Torx (or Hex?) threads from one of the aluminum oil drain plugs such that he bit would turn round and round.

Luckily, knowing that it would happen eventually I had the foresight to order the steel magnetic replacements ahead of time. I'm sure I over-torqued them or this wouldn't have happened in the first place, and yes I know the originals could last a lifetime, blah-blah-blah. None of which helps when it happens. All I knew at that point was the aluminum is soft, which makes it a challenge to get out once stripped.

Some of the other forums (i.e., 944) had similar war stories, so I'll cut to the chase and tell you that (a) an easy out/left-hand bolt remover did not work; (b) the little Dremel-notch/flat-head trick did not work; and (c) moving up to one size larger bit trick did not work.

But after 20 mins of Googling on my iPhone under the car, this trick finally worked: hammering a (sharp) triple-square into the rounded-out hole and wrenching it out:

Name:  IMG_3326 RL.jpg
Views: 16291
Size:  115.3 KB

Hard to see entirely, but this was what I pulled out:

Name:  IMG_3329 rl.jpg
Views: 7230
Size:  159.4 KB

So I've got a triple-square-threaded aluminum drain plug, if anyone needs one...
Old 12-29-2013, 01:27 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hows the pan itself?
Old 12-29-2013, 01:53 AM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Pan's fine, as far as I can tell. Threads are still good, and the new steel drain plug is in finger tight + about 1/8th turn.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:15 AM
Lightningmcnulty
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the tightening torque required on the drain plug?

I have seen the result of under torqued drain plugs and i'd much rather replace the plug that the engine!
Old 12-29-2013, 11:45 AM
Chris51080
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Over on renntech, the DIY calls for 50Nm, or about 37 ft/lbs.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/tutor...ia-oil-change/
Old 12-29-2013, 11:52 AM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

How hard was it to break loose the plug? Had it siezed? I'm suspect of threads in aluminum and always use anti-sieze compound on them.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:18 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts

Darned easy too to strip the threads on the pan now that you have a steel plug. I've done it more than once but not on a pan. Steel screws in aluminum parts are very common on bikes which is where I generally wrench (poorly).
Old 12-29-2013, 07:47 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 789 Likes on 424 Posts

Steel plug in an aluminum case? Hello galvanic corrosion! I'd do one of two things, anti seize the ever living crap out of the plug and change the oil often and relube the plug every time and be oh so careful not to cross thread. Alternatively, just get another aluminum plug and call it a day. I'd go with the latter.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:10 AM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Lightningmcnulty
What is the tightening torque required on the drain plug?

I have seen the result of under torqued drain plugs and i'd much rather replace the plug that the engine!
Originally Posted by Chris51080
Over on renntech, the DIY calls for 50Nm, or about 37 ft/lbs.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/tutor...ia-oil-change/
37 ft-lbs for v6 and v8, but 22 ft-lbs for diesel and hybrid.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:46 AM
spooltime
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Just did an oil and filter change yesterday on my CTTS and looked up the torque values for the oil drain plugs and oil filter housing in the factory service manual before starting since I couldn't remember them from the last time I changed the oil.

I'll confirm the 50 Nm for the drain plugs and note that the oil filter housing torque value is 25 Nm. See the attached extracted page from the shop manual.

Last edited by spooltime; 03-05-2019 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:11 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Originally Posted by fast_freddy
Steel plug in an aluminum case? Hello galvanic corrosion! I'd do one of two things, anti seize the ever living crap out of the plug and change the oil often and relube the plug every time and be oh so careful not to cross thread. Alternatively, just get another aluminum plug and call it a day. I'd go with the latter.
Doesn't seem to be much of a problem, for some reason. Very common, actually.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:33 AM
grohgreg
Pro

I'm going to speculate that the presence of corrosion preventatives in the engine oil minimizes the electrolyte level necessary to actually catalyze galvanic corrosion.

//greg//
Old 01-02-2014, 09:54 AM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Makes sense. Then again the alloys may be such that there isn't that much potential there.

Years ago, I attached some winches to an aluminum mast using stainless fasteners. Even in a salt environment, I didn't see much corrosion.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:17 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 789 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by grohgreg
I'm going to speculate that the presence of corrosion preventatives in the engine oil minimizes the electrolyte level necessary to actually catalyze galvanic corrosion.

//greg//
Don't hold your breath on that one. You're assuming that the oil gets "replenished" on the threads, it doesn't as its "sealed".

I've witnessed many aluminum alloy seat-posts and stems on bicycles completely seized in steel frames even when adequately greased and/or anti seized. With the threads on these things I imagine they're fairly precise/tight and doesn't give much room for grease/anti-seize. It simply isn't worth the risk. Additionally, if some dip**** changing the oil cross threads (assuming someone other than yourself changes the oil), You.Are.Fooked.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:19 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Good insights, all around. I actually love that there is never a 100% consensus on anything in this forum (except our intense love/hate with these biotches). Great dialogue all around... though I'm surprised there was not more sarcasm or dry humor.

Truth be told, I went steel for the magnetic properties like in the transmission pan. And I'd heard that similar upgrades been used very successfully in other applications (i.e., aircraft).

Now in another 50K miles when I start a post on replacing a cross-threaded oil pan or seized bolt or galvano-corroded whatever, then loose the pundit hounds!

Quick Reply: Stripped Oil Drain Plug