Sponsored by:

1st gen cayenne diff lock and snow performance

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 10:07 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TozoM8
My google is broken. I can't find any videos where a subaru pulls a cayenne. Keep in mind there are a lot of 2WD cayenne outthere.
Ahhhh nope there are not
Old 12-26-2013, 10:08 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Originally Posted by DavieGravy
I want to be clear that I'm not making the claim that a rear wheel drive truck can outperform a cayenne in the snow. I have never driven mine in the snow. I was simply getting feedback from others who have.
If they personally have been having trouble then they should stay home if it's not personal experience , don't believe it they are just haters
Old 12-26-2013, 10:27 PM
DavieGravy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is one.

Last edited by DavieGravy; 12-27-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:36 PM
westy66
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what a ridiculous comment. you sound like a real winner!

In my opinion, they're ugly dyke-mobiles targeted towards lesbians and eclectics (code word for weirdos).

I love my porsche.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:10 AM
AdMan21
Racer

I drove my first s2000 in the snow with summer tires on, scariest **** I've ever done in my life.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:36 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by westy66
what a ridiculous comment. you sound like a real winner!
That is a silly comment. We have two Subarus and they are fantastic cars, especially in snow!
Old 12-27-2013, 06:53 AM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have 3 other vehciles (2 all wheel drive subarus) and 1 rear wheel drive truck and none of them would ever get stuck in 3'' of snow, unless they were on 30 degree incline or more. One of my subarus will plow through a foot of snow on completely bald, summer tires.
Sounds OK for a Dyke-mobile.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:04 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

OK for the record, in my family we have had both, no problem with either but I was reminded of something about 6 years ago.

We had a large snow storm over 2 days, never left the house or cleaned the drive, the township had been plowing the road. At 2:30am on the third morning I got called out and my driveway had about 3 feet driftsnow all the way down it, and a 4 foot ice and snow plow hill at the end.

I had no time to get the snow blower out so I gave it a shot. I raised the suspension to highest and basically pushed my way out of the garage and turned onto the straight bit. I then turned PSM off and floored it down to the end of the drive, then locked the axle and climbed over the crest of the plow hills which was compacted snow and ice.

Driving on the deep snow was exactly like driving on sand which I had done a few times, the climbing part was awesome it just went slow up and over reasonable quickly. I never got stuck at all. after I was over I drove the 10 miles on a mixture of snow and ice in varying degrees with out incident.

My daughters Sub would have done the same except for the climb which required more ground clearance.

If you get stuck in the Cayenne its not the car its you.

I was running on 18s with Scorpion Ice and Snow's
Old 12-27-2013, 09:24 AM
DavieGravy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dennis C
That is a silly comment. We have two Subarus and they are fantastic cars, especially in snow!
It was. I edited my comment.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:11 AM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So now I am really confused ...

You come on here stating how great your Subarus are in winter, compared to the iffy Cayenne ... Ok so far, everybody is entitled to their opinion.

Then you state that Subarus are for Dykes and weirdos ... Since your profile says male, that must make you the later!
Old 12-27-2013, 11:11 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 772 Posts

Thanks. My two 6'5" sons each drive a Subaru Forester (that I bought them), and I assure you they aren't lesbians! My search criteria for a car for them included: an SUV, reasonable build quality, good gas mileage, reasonable price, AWD and a manual transmission. It was the best choice that met my criteria.

With snow tires, the Subies are great. Their only major downfall compared to the Cayenne in the snow is lack of ground clearance as mudman mentioned, as well as a lack of power.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:12 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Originally Posted by steve_Cayenne

You come on here stating how great your Subarus are in winter, compared to the iffy Cayenne ... Ok so far, everybody is entitled to their opinion.

Then you state that Subarus are for Dykes and weirdos ... Since your profile says male, that must make you the later!
Old 12-27-2013, 12:15 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

we do get a lot of snow here and I never had any issues. I usually run proper winter setup, but I ran M+S labeled ATs last winter and did not have any problems either. We had almost 4ft of snow and I was able to plow through a 3' pile of snow & ice plow hill w/o issues.
in light snow, my G35x is substantially better due to weight difference, but when it comes to deep snow, the cayenne rulez. I just had a set of proper winter rubber installed (Kumho KC15 275/45 R20) instead of the ATs and I can't imagine getting stuck with them unless I do something really really stupid
Old 12-27-2013, 12:17 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

You got that right, one has to remember the laws of physics lol
Old 12-27-2013, 01:58 PM
DavieGravy
Instructor

Originally Posted by steve_Cayenne

I never said my subarus are great compared to my cayenne.

Like I said before, I'm not comparing the cayenne to anything because I have never driven it in the snow. i was simply getting feedback from others. Please don't let this turn into a flame war or an argument.

And yes, I am a weirdo. Many people who know me would attest to that. :P

Quick Reply: 1st gen cayenne diff lock and snow performance