Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

With a cayenne the snow has no chance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 08:16 PM
AdMan21
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default With a cayenne the snow has no chance.

The first round of lake effect has arrived, the cayenne has pleasantly been the best vehicle I have ever driven in the snow.

Thanks Porche

- A happy Cayenne driver.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:36 PM
kotzankov
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty pictures please....

Some of us that live in the south only have to imagine the amounts of fun it is to hit the show in the PiG
Old 11-28-2013, 12:44 AM
SnP
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

My Cayenne S was great in the snow, but I definitely prefer my C4S.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:43 AM
enzom
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by AdMan21
The first round of lake effect has arrived, the cayenne has pleasantly been the best vehicle I have ever driven in the snow. Thanks Porche - A happy Cayenne driver.
What kind of winter rubber are you running? I just got my 14 Range Rover Sport Supercharged and have only two options for snows - Pirelli Scorpion Winter or Nokian WR G2 tires. Put Alpin PA4's on my 991 and can't wait to try them. Thanks.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:22 AM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by enzom
What kind of winter rubber are you running? I just got my 14 Range Rover Sport Supercharged and have only two options for snows - Pirelli Scorpion Winter or Nokian WR G2 tires. Put Alpin PA4's on my 991 and can't wait to try them. Thanks.
We have the Scorpion snow & ice on our Cayenne, very happy in our 3rd season of snow.

My brother has the Nokians on his Acura, again very happy.

Not sure where you are, but up here in the prairies of northern Canada, we get some great snow, ice and cold weather to test these tires.

Good luck and happy sledding!
Old 11-28-2013, 11:59 AM
enzom
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RESP
We have the Scorpion snow & ice on our Cayenne, very happy in our 3rd season of snow. My brother has the Nokians on his Acura, again very happy. Not sure where you are, but up here in the prairies of northern Canada, we get some great snow, ice and cold weather to test these tires. Good luck and happy sledding!
Thanks. Good to know. I can't use the snow & ice because they aren't XL tires. She's a porker. My guess is either one (scorpion winter or Nokian WR G2) is fine.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:07 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Scorpion snow and ice are great on heavy snow. Left them on for the whole year as well- wasn't noisy at all. I recommend best to get a second set of rims just for snow that works with a variety of snow tire options if that's possible. Mike
Old 11-28-2013, 12:30 PM
AdMan21
Racer

Running all seasons still
Old 11-28-2013, 12:45 PM
Brit6
Racer

Cayenne is awesome in the snow as long as you have snow tires! I have Pirelli ice & snow up here in the great white north, they work awesome from day to day driving to heading up to the mountains for snowboarding.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:30 PM
bearfilm
2nd Gear

That is comforting to hear, I guess. Just got my FP - a 2006 Cayenne S which is trading up (?) from a Wrangler Unlimited. Winter is coming and I have the faith it will work, but after the Jeep, just a tic nervous...
Old 11-28-2013, 01:36 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Snow is dumb.

It just sits there ...mocking you. "Ha ha, I'm all over your yard and your favorite roads and now you have to shovel me."

F-ing snow.

I hope it hurts when you melt.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:48 PM
Bill P.
Addict
Rennlist Member

The problem with the C4S in the snow (and my TT) is that bit of snow between the tire tracks. The front spoiler makes a pretty crappy plow...
Old 11-28-2013, 02:17 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love my Cayenne in the snow as well. Spent the last 25 years battling Quebec Winters, in all kinds of vehicles. The Cayenne would definitely be my weapon of choice!

Thanks. Good to know. I can't use the snow & ice because they aren't XL tires. She's a porker. My guess is either one (scorpion winter or Nokian WR G2) is fine.
I got the Pirelli Scorpion Winters last year (albeit not N-rated), definitely a great winter tire! They are smooth, comfortable, quiet, handle well in dry (for winter tires), V-rated to 150mph, and great traction in snow and ice. They are even apparently co-designed by Porsche. Like them more than the snow&ice I had previously on an X5.

Although the Finn's know how to make great winter tires, my issue with the Nokian WR's are:

"The WR G2, Nokian Tyres’ third generation in the unique line of “All-Weather Plus” tires, offers the best performance in every season."
"The Nokian WR G2 Sport Utility is a durable SUV non-studded winter tire that can be used all-year-round. The asymmetrical inside-out tread pattern allows our engineers to design different areas of the tread to focus on the different driving conditions you will encounter throughout the year. So while seasons may change, your choice of all-weather tires remains the same: Nokian WR G2 SUV. "

The WR is a glorified all season tire that just makes it into the severe winter "mountain/snowflake" rating. I would rather have a real winter tire like the Pirelli Winter, that you can forget about using in summer! Unless I could only have one set of tires, that would be winter legal where applicable and could also serve as a poor summer tire.

* Disclaimer, I have never driven on Nokia WR's ... just the Nokian Hakkapeliittas which are good winter tires.

Last edited by steve_Cayenne; 11-28-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:20 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 904 Posts

Tires make a huge difference. My wife got stuck in a snow-covered driveway a few weeks ago in our CS with all-season (a.k.a. "no-season") tires. The Cayenne is now running Michelin Latitude Alpin N1 tires and it's much better in snow.

Quick Reply: With a cayenne the snow has no chance.