Sponsored by:

CEL came on this morning..

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 06:21 PM
joeyvaz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL came on this morning..

So the CEL came on this morning for the first time. I'm getting P0300, P0301,P0302, etc. all the way to P0308.

So these are random misfire codes, but I highly doubt all ignitions coils or plugs went bad all at the same time. The truck does stumble while driving, but only for a few minutes on my way to work. On my way home, seems to be running fine, but light is on.

As an FYI, we did have a lot of rain in NY last night, not sure if anything got soaked while sitting overnight in my driveway. Car is a 2006 Cayenne S with 88,750 miles. I'm going to order new coil packs and plugs since she is due for a tune up anyway. Any other thoughts?

Thanks!!
Old 11-27-2013, 07:05 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

They tend to do that and that is high mileage if it's not been done before. Change the filters while you're in there
Old 11-27-2013, 07:13 PM
joeyvaz
Advanced

Originally Posted by cordsig79
They tend to do that and that is high mileage if it's not been done before. Change the filters while you're in there
fuel filter and what else? I figure a full tune up is in order.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:49 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't think you need to do the fuel filter but the dual air filters need to be checked/replaced. When was the cabin filter last changed?

I would avoid getting the spark plugs from Porsche if they're still using Beru plugs, get the Bosch. Last coil pack versions I've seen are -09.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:56 AM
joeyvaz
Advanced

ok, so all coil packs, Bosch plugs, cabin filter, and dual air filters. Any site's you recommend to order the parts? ECS tuning has everything listed for $480 delivered to my door. Can I do better on another site?

Thanks again!!!

PS
Happy Thanksgiving
Old 11-28-2013, 10:10 AM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Could also just be a vacuum leak. If it was sudden I would suspect that one of the hard plastic vacuum lines cracked or came loose. They get brittle with age.

Usually easy to fix temporarily with some electrical tape too.

The engine compartment is designed as a "wet area" with weather tight connectors and seals everywhere. If any water had an effect then you have something wrong.(bad connector, etc)
Old 11-28-2013, 12:16 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

ECS Tuning is good, I've also used AutoHausAZ.com and RMEuropean.com, have had good service from all.

I've always thought that if I didn't know from records when this stuff was last done that it was a good idea to do them myself so I could start from a known service point when buying a used vehicle.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:32 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Autohausaz has coils for $35 and plugs for under $7.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:37 PM
joeyvaz
Advanced

Thanks guys. I was suspecting a vacuum leak as well. That was my first thought. Usually coils cause a blinking CEL and one code with the culprit coil. At least it was like that on my previous Audis. This came on all of a sudden, 9 codes: P0300-P0308. So I thought it was rather strange to be the coils.

I'm going to check this weekend for vacuum leaks prior to ordering the coils and plugs.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:34 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by joeyvaz
This came on all of a sudden, 9 codes: P0300-P0308. So I thought it was rather strange to be the coils.
Are you on the orig coils? If so, you've had a long run. Mine went out at around 20k miles and were replaced under warranty. So far, no new issues.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:32 AM
joeyvaz
Advanced

Originally Posted by dasams
Are you on the orig coils? If so, you've had a long run. Mine went out at around 20k miles and were replaced under warranty. So far, no new issues.
Not sure. I bought it used in February of this year and have no record of the coils being changed.I'm going to probably change them anyway. Just curious as to why the codes came for every single one from one day to the next.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:22 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Just curious if a weak battery may be causing your errors? How old is the battery (if it's original, take into consideration the Production date of the vehicle, not the sale date)? If the battery is original I would seriously consider replacing it, esp. with your cold winters and if the car sits for a few days between drives.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:29 AM
joeyvaz
Advanced

I filled the tank with fresh gas from my regular station this afternoon. 10 miles later, the CEL turned off and hasn't returned. Prior to this tank, I had put in half a tank of gas from a station I've never been to before. Can bad gas cause this? So far, car is running fine and the light is off.

I am still ordering everything I need to do a tune up. Probably will order 1 or 2 coils to have on hand, but not change them until I confirm mine are bad. Good thinking or not?
Old 11-30-2013, 12:37 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

If the coils are original.. I would be tempted to change them all. I know it's $300 you probably don't want to spend but the original coils are a mixed bag. I'm not sure you can always immediately detect defects. They have been updated many times now which tells you the original design hadn't been fully perfected.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:39 AM
Cole
Drifting

Yes.

There is a reference to it in the owners manual. Now that I think about it aI had a similar issue on a road trip last year. Got gas at a mom & pop station and had a series of misfire codes and issues about 60 miles later.

Cured with the next tank of gas.

Quick Reply: CEL came on this morning..