Sponsored by:

Flex Pipe Repair Cayenne S 2004 Ottawa

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 07:59 PM
Hamlet
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flex Pipe Repair Cayenne S 2004 Ottawa

Was on the board earlier this summer seeking advice on what to do with two cracked flex pipes. From what I could gather it came down to having the complete pipes removed then cutting off the old flex pipes and installing the new ones. Like an 8-10 hour job.

I finally took it in to a custom exhaust fabricator (smart move), he looked at it closely and quoted me 4 hours of work to replace both pipes and clean the cats. $458 cdn. I was dubious. I had not read anything close to what he was proposing. But he was highly recommended by some other car guys.

Got it back to day he had an extra hour and a half of labour so it came to $600 and it is perfect. He did not remove the pipes before he cut them off, he lowered the engine cradle, which created enough room, he had to move a couple of other pieces, to cut the old flex pipes out and weld/bolt in the new ones in. He said a lot of people are not confident in their welding skills so they remove the whole pipe before cutting.

Car sounds like new, the cats were clean and the O2 sensors working perfectly. I am obviously thrilled to be not driving a lobster boat, fixed by a guy who knew what he was doing.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:11 AM
Hamlet
Intermediate

After two days I am amazed how quiet the Pig is, at first it felt like the engine would die after I started it. But the car has significantly better response. It feels great.

Cracked flex pipes is something that will inevitably happen with age to Cayennes. Mine gave out after 10 years. I was told it is caused by the heavy weight placed on the pipe.

I was lucky to find an honest competent shop who was god with his torch.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:44 AM
613Porsche
Advanced

This just happened to my 2011 cayennne. I live in Ottawa as well, would you mind telling me where you went to have it fixed?
Old 11-25-2016, 04:00 AM
Khaled Metwalli
1st Gear

Default Hi

can you give me the name of the shop that fixed your pipe please
Old 02-06-2020, 04:37 PM
cokenfries
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Hamlet
Was on the board earlier this summer seeking advice on what to do with two cracked flex pipes. From what I could gather it came down to having the complete pipes removed then cutting off the old flex pipes and installing the new ones. Like an 8-10 hour job.

I finally took it in to a custom exhaust fabricator (smart move), he looked at it closely and quoted me 4 hours of work to replace both pipes and clean the cats. $458 cdn. I was dubious. I had not read anything close to what he was proposing. But he was highly recommended by some other car guys.

Got it back to day he had an extra hour and a half of labour so it came to $600 and it is perfect. He did not remove the pipes before he cut them off, he lowered the engine cradle, which created enough room, he had to move a couple of other pieces, to cut the old flex pipes out and weld/bolt in the new ones in. He said a lot of people are not confident in their welding skills so they remove the whole pipe before cutting.

Car sounds like new, the cats were clean and the O2 sensors working perfectly. I am obviously thrilled to be not driving a lobster boat, fixed by a guy who knew what he was doing.

Just hoping that Hamlet is still active as he is in the same city as me and I now have same Flex pipe issue with my 2010. Can you tell me which shop did you go to?
Old 02-06-2020, 09:38 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

Check out replacement flex pipe at Miller Cat...
https://www.millercat.com/other-products

I picked one up, just waiting to get someone to install/weld it.
Old 02-08-2020, 11:51 PM
sweetskillsrk
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 95_993
Check out replacement flex pipe at Miller Cat...
https://www.millercat.com/other-products

I picked one up, just waiting to get someone to install/weld it.
Thanks for posting this @95_993 , this is really go to know.

It would also be super helpful to have a sticky thread of some sort, probaby within the DIY thread, with all of the non-OEM Cayenne solutions that have been figured out, created, etc. over the years, that way they're all in one place. Jimi fix, other driveshaft options (like the aluminum one I believe @Petza914 has), this exhaust retrofit, headlight repairs, the custom bushings for the front end; basically all the quality solutions that you would have to know existed without extensive research. The search function on Rennlist can be difficult to use effectively so something like this would be helpful to organize some of the genius and ingenuity of the Cayenne wrenching world. If that's something that would be helpful to everyone, I'd be happy to organize some links/threads and send them to the moderator to approve? I'm all about a good cheat sheet!

Quick Reply: Flex Pipe Repair Cayenne S 2004 Ottawa