Sponsored by:

2004 Cayenne S dies soon after starting

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 09:03 AM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rting
I have a quote here parts alone - both pumps - totaling about $700 plus $100 for the fuel filter. Is that good for genuine Porsche parts but more importantly are these new pumps going to fail again as quickly as the old one??

My Cayenne S only has 45,000km (about 28,000 miles) on it .....
...or in another 10 years.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:18 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Well mine went at 113k miles so that's a little better. Also I had been running the fuel low several times before the failure. I guess the pumps use fuel for cooling and so when you run the tanks low it causes the pumps to fail sooner. So just keep above 1/4 full and you should not have to do this again for many years.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:05 AM
rting
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by endless_corners
Well mine went at 113k miles so that's a little better. Also I had been running the fuel low several times before the failure. I guess the pumps use fuel for cooling and so when you run the tanks low it causes the pumps to fail sooner. So just keep above 1/4 full and you should not have to do this again for many years.
By several times - how often was it?

Prior to failure, I was doing mostly really short runs in the morning when the engine was bone cold ... and no longer trips after.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:11 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Maybe half a dozen times and I also had been doing a lot of cold runs and short trips. But when it finally failed it was after I had just driven 400 miles.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:22 PM
rting
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by endless_corners
Maybe half a dozen times and I also had been doing a lot of cold runs and short trips. But when it finally failed it was after I had just driven 400 miles.
Oh ok. Since September this year, I had been driving my kid to school twice a week and early in the morning (prior to normal school hours for tutorials). Each of those trips lasted less than say 8-9 minutes round trip. Then the car does not move until may be the infrequent longer trips. It is mid-November when the pump fail so I'd say it is way less than 400 miles.

One time, about a week prior to failure, it will not start in the middle of town (another short and unrelated trip). I yanked out the fuse for the ignition, put it right back in - and it started without an issue.

I would say I do run the gasoline tank to the fuel low warning light before I go fill up but I have been doing that for a number of years now?

So does that sound like a disaster in the making or what?

I guess I am trying to prevent it - if preventable - and you'd think Porsche would have known about this issue while testing the Cayenne in extreme heat, etc.?

Quick Reply: 2004 Cayenne S dies soon after starting