Sponsored by:

Buying a used Cayenne advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 02:19 PM
flblue
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a used Cayenne advice

My budget has me looking at earlier models around 2004/5 either an S or a Turbo I would really like.

I've read quite a bit in search about the coolant pipes and the coil issues and if I buy one I will definitely check if these have been replaced, if not, the cost isn't too bad to have it done myself. It seems a case of when and not if these 2 issues needs addressing. Some of the used vehicle ads even say in the ad if the coolant pipes have been done or not.

My main worry though is this Engine failure/Cylinder scoring/piston slap issue I'm reading about in the 10 page thread on engines replacement. Replacing a whole engine is something I definitely could not afford. On a used model it would obviously not be under warranty.

My questions are, is this a very rare occurrence? is it 1 in 100, 1 in 10k, does anybody know? Do the Turbos and the S models both have this problem? Is it rarer in the Turbo or exactly the same engine as the S? Is the V6 the safer bet? I read the 2008's and new don't have these issues but I won't be able to afford one that new.

How can I tell the engine is solid? by having a compression test? If the compression test is good say on a used 90k mile 2004 vehicle, could the engine failure still occur at 100k, 120k, 150k miles? I drive 25k a year, I intend on keeping the vehicle for a number of years and would want to get 200k miles plus on her.

If I buy a vehicle with a replaced engine are they replacing the engines with original ones? What's stopping a brand new replaced engine having the same issues? Are there any preventative things you can do to stop the engine failure like more regular oil changes or a certain grade of oil etc??

I don't want the fear of driving around wondering if the engine is gonna need replacing at any moment and worrying about ticking and knocking noises from the engine with every sound.

Or should I just buy a boring reliable RX 330?

Thanks for any advice.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:15 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by flblue
My budget has me looking at earlier models around 2004/5 either an S or a Turbo I would really like.

I've read quite a bit in search about the coolant pipes and the coil issues and if I buy one I will definitely check if these have been replaced, if not, the cost isn't too bad to have it done myself. It seems a case of when and not if these 2 issues needs addressing. Some of the used vehicle ads even say in the ad if the coolant pipes have been done or not.

My main worry though is this Engine failure/Cylinder scoring/piston slap issue I'm reading about in the 10 page thread on engines replacement. Replacing a whole engine is something I definitely could not afford. On a used model it would obviously not be under warranty.

My questions are, is this a very rare occurrence? is it 1 in 100, 1 in 10k, does anybody know? Do the Turbos and the S models both have this problem? Is it rarer in the Turbo or exactly the same engine as the S? Is the V6 the safer bet? I read the 2008's and new don't have these issues but I won't be able to afford one that new.

How can I tell the engine is solid? by having a compression test? If the compression test is good say on a used 90k mile 2004 vehicle, could the engine failure still occur at 100k, 120k, 150k miles? I drive 25k a year, I intend on keeping the vehicle for a number of years and would want to get 200k miles plus on her.

If I buy a vehicle with a replaced engine are they replacing the engines with original ones? What's stopping a brand new replaced engine having the same issues? Are there any preventative things you can do to stop the engine failure like more regular oil changes or a certain grade of oil etc??

I don't want the fear of driving around wondering if the engine is gonna need replacing at any moment and worrying about ticking and knocking noises from the engine with every sound.

Or should I just buy a boring reliable RX 330?

Thanks for any advice.
Coolant pipes are certainly an issue on the V8 955s and some will tell you that failure is inevitable however none of the high mileage 955 V8s of which I have personal knowledge has had the coolant pipes replaced or suffered a failure. As you mention though the cost of preemptive replacement with upgraded pipes is not too onerous if budgeted for.

None of the 3 cayennes which I have owned or any of the others which I have personal knowledge of have ever had any spark related issues or coil replacements.

Cardan shaft will require replacement eventually, anywhere between 60,000 and 150,000 miles. Fuel pumps seem to have a similar life span.

Bore scoring however I believe to be in a different league entirely. In my own internet travels I cannot imagine that I have seen as many as 50 unique occurrences this problem, probably closer to 20 mostly on 2004 NA engines. Bearing in mind that over 600,000 cayennes have been sold, there are an awful lot of NA V8s out there that do not have a problem. My own theory is that the oil spray piston cooling on the 955 turbos mitigates the local overheating which may cause the scoring. I have never at any time considered this as an issue when buying a Cayenne.

The majority of Cayenne issues tend to be niggly and irritating rather than catastrophic.

Much more fun than an RX330

Quick Reply: Buying a used Cayenne advice