Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powder Coat Rims on SUV not a good idea...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 06:30 PM
dawktah
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powder (clear) Coat Rims (wheels) on SUV not a good idea...

Along with the massive amount of brake dust. I have the 20" factory rims. I have noticed that I have what appear to be small nicks in the rims. I have to try some degreaser just in case its road oil. I don't think my driving is unusual, just street and expressway.

Anybody seen any 18" rims for the Cayenne that aren't powder (clear) coated?

Last edited by dawktah; 07-18-2003 at 07:18 AM.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:55 PM
Jeffrey Behr
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 133 Posts

dawktah, the factory wheels aren't powder coated, they're clear coated.

BTW, they're wheels, not rims. Rims are just part of a wheel.

I've seen 5 sets of 18" Cayenne wheels with tires on eBay in the last 2 weeks. One set sold for only $880.
Old 07-16-2003, 08:40 PM
dawktah
Racer

O.K. so I guess the question is, if the clear coat finish on the wheel is chipped, nicked etc. would it be, black, gray or another color? I am just trying to figure out if there is something on the wheel or are they damaged? Took wheels off and washed them and the calipers with Dawn dish-washing liquid. I didn't drive my Boxster enough to make a comparison. My TT is a daily commuter.
Old 07-19-2003, 08:46 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe try p21s wheel cleaner gel. It sounds like you've left the brake dust on there too long and it's eaten through the clear coat to create that pitting.
To prevent further damage, remove each wheel, clean it with wheel cleaner (household detergents are not chemically stable and accelerate corrosion and oxidation ... they also strip away any wax or other protective layers on any surface) and then wax the wheel (front and back) with a durable wax. Then the brake dust will come off easily and won't get through to the clear coat to cause pitting. Even if you don't clean the car weekly, at least get the wheel cleaner and do the wheels. Repeat the waxing about every month or so.
While you've got the wheels off, use normal car wash and a long-handled, stiff-bristle brush to clean the wheel arches -- this has a great effect on keeping the car looking new (grey, dirty wheel arches are the first visual clue that the car isn't being properly cleaned) and I recommend a long handle because you don't want to get in near the car while it's jacked (even on stands, there's no need for risks) and you don't want to be breathing all that brake dust you're trying to remove, so consider wearing a simple face mask and eye protection.
If you talk with local Porsche owners, you'll find a decent local wheel repair shop -- I'd guess you could have the wheels refinished (with or without repainting the clear coat or the base colour) at around $100 per wheel.
Old 07-19-2003, 08:26 PM
DanP
Instructor

Originally posted by Carrera GT
It sounds like you've left the brake dust on there too long and it's eaten through the clear coat to create that pitting.
Wow, that is a scary thought!

Do you really think that brake dust can eat through these rims in a matter of a couple of months?? Anything new on the Cayenne that would do this?

I don't take my P-cars or other nice cars to wash places (auto or all-hand) for fear of damage, dirty towels, all the standard stuff.

Unfortunately I'm also busy and/or lazy so these nice cars tend to only get a personal wash every 10 weeks or so on average (I know, I know).

But I have yet to see any rim damage whatsoever from accumulated brake dust. Even after PCA events.

Separate but related topic:

What do you folks think about using one of those weaker electric pressure washers (1,600 psi or so at best, easily modulated lower) sold at Home Depot these days for the rims, or even general car cleaning duties?

And for that matter, a Home Depot 6.5hp shop-vac on reverse to blow it dry?

I need to find a way to clean this beast on a regular basis...
Old 07-20-2003, 07:57 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

"It sounds like you've left the brake dust on there too long and it's eaten through the clear coat to create that pitting. "

Maybe brake dust isn't eating thru clearcoat. Am I crazy or are these wheels getting beat up with pebbles and dust at high speeds. Low profile tires make it worst.

Throw in some curb rash and I think brake dust may be the least of your concerns. Additionally; brake dust corrosive enough to wear and pit??

It doesn't sound right.......
Old 07-21-2003, 07:53 AM
dawktah
Racer

I was actually a bit worried that it may be a "rush to production" defect in the wheel. I'll have to post some pics. Just need a higher res. camera to do it. Don't park near any curbs enough to get rash. City streets are a bit harsh though, a lot construction
Old 07-23-2003, 05:42 PM
DanP
Instructor

Originally posted by DanP
What do you folks think about using one of those weaker electric pressure washers (1,600 psi or so at best, easily modulated lower) sold at Home Depot these days for the rims, or even general car cleaning duties?

And for that matter, a Home Depot 6.5hp shop-vac on reverse to blow it dry?

I need to find a way to clean this beast on a regular basis...
Hey folks, any thought on the above? OK to use a pressure washer?
Old 07-23-2003, 07:17 PM
CAPTLST
Instructor

Careful with the pressure washer!!! If you catch an area where the paint has not adhered properly, the pressure washer will blow it off. Also it will knock of emblems if you get the nozzle to close. As long as it is not a powerful pressure washer you sould be okay. IMO just use a hose and a sponge to clean the car, no pressure washer, no matter how powerful will clean a car completly. To dry get a sqweegie, that is usually quicker than a chamois.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:57 AM
DanP
Instructor

>>To dry get a sqweegie, that is usually quicker than a chamois.

Thanks.

Do you mean a regular window squeegy (sp?) I thought of that but was afraid that it would easily scratch the paint if sand or something got on the car...

Quick Reply: Powder Coat Rims on SUV not a good idea...