Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much do you spend changing oil?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 02:54 PM
bansasn
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Make good courtship with your Porsche.European Indy. I usually stop by his shop and let him reset it for free.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:12 PM
pcst
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The worst part of this whole process is dealing with the under panels.
I've been thinking about making an access hole or panel with door, custom cut the under panel right under the oil filter area in order to access it w/o removing the panels.
What do you guys think or has anyone already done this?
Old 10-21-2013, 03:42 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
I'm new to Cayenne ownership but never anticipated anything like $250 for an oil change. Why so expensive? Is there some major surgery needed?
The other part of the price equation is that little gold shield on your hood. Everything costs more because of that.

Personally I'd pay $250 from the dealer to do it, but in my area the dealers want 450-675 for changing the CD's oil

I'm willing to pay for convince, but thats ridiculous. So I did my first change myself for about $100 including the couple of tools I needed. It took me an hour or so, but I wasn't exactly rushing.

I know having a place to work can be a problem though. Does PCA have DIY days like the BMW club does?
Old 10-21-2013, 03:43 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

At the dealer it breaks down like this:
9 Qts of M1 Synthetic at $8/qt == $72
1 Filter == $15
1 hour of labor at $150/hr
Shop Supplies == $10
Tax Dallas (8.75%) == $21.61

Total: $268.61

Doing it myself:
10 Qts (2x 5Q jugs at Wal-Mart): $48
1 Filter: $10
Time 1hr - 1h15m: 30-45 mins for oil change and 30 mins to recycle the oil

Total: $58

IMHO, avoiding a spend of $200 allows me to fund my 1989 911 parts/running costs.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:01 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I too am curious about resetting. My indie tends to use Total brand oil in our 993. I wonder if that's good for the CTT. Then again, don't answer. I dont want to be responsible for The Oil Thread.
Last week I ordered a case of (4) 5L bottles of Motul 8100 X-cess 5w40, this oil is on Porsche's recommended oil list last time I checked.

Total/Elf are one in the same IINM.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:54 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
The other part of the price equation is that little gold shield on your hood. Everything costs more because of that.

Personally I'd pay $250 from the dealer to do it, but in my area the dealers want 450-675 for changing the CD's oil

I'm willing to pay for convince, but thats ridiculous. So I did my first change myself for about $100 including the couple of tools I needed. It took me an hour or so, but I wasn't exactly rushing.

I know having a place to work can be a problem though. Does PCA have DIY days like the BMW club does?
I"m unaware of any DIY days in PCA. What did you do about resetting the oil change counter after you DIY your D?

I'm not getting why this is so complex a deal, really. I mean it's about 8 l of oil or U$65 and then, what, U$30 for the filter? And $150 in labor? That's 1.5 hrs at my indie shop. If it takes a pro 1.5 hrs with a lift and all the right tools, it sounds like something I don't wish to tackle.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:56 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Last week I ordered a case of (4) 5L bottles of Motul 8100 X-cess 5w40, this oil is on Porsche's recommended oil list last time I checked.

Total/Elf are one in the same IINM.
I agree that Total/Elf are the same. I'm beginning to wonder what I've gotten myself into. A $250 oil change sounds like a joke or like a bill I'd expect from a MacLaren - not something one would expect from a SUV often used as a DD.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:14 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree that Total/Elf are the same. I'm beginning to wonder what I've gotten myself into. A $250 oil change sounds like a joke or like a bill I'd expect from a MacLaren - not something one would expect from a SUV often used as a DD.
Macs are way more.

Just go to an indy. You have a hi line car so youll have to pay to play sort of.

Pca does have diy every so often. Check w your local chapter.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:23 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

I"m unaware of any DIY days in PCA. What did you do about resetting the oil change counter after you DIY your D?

I'm not getting why this is so complex a deal, really. I mean it's about 8 l of oil or U$65 and then, what, U$30 for the filter? And $150 in labor? That's 1.5 hrs at my indie shop. If it takes a pro 1.5 hrs with a lift and all the right tools, it sounds like something I don't wish to tackle.
Unlike PCA (or have they dropped that?) you don't have to have a BMW to join their club. If you don't have space to do it yourself, you could join their club and do it at on of their DIY days (I know our chapter gives preference to BMWs though for order).

I have a Durmetric to reset the SI.

Something else to consider about the cost (at least for the Diesel) is that they don't even lift it. They are sucking it out the top and the filter is on top too. So it's even less work they have to do for that ridiculous cost. Must be one hell of a visual inspection they do...
Old 10-21-2013, 06:36 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

How many liters does the D take? Pep Boys oil change for a petrol car using maybe 5 l is about U$22 here (advertised. I never tried it). However, the same place charged me $100 to change the oil on a gen 1 Dodge pickup truck diesel. I have no idea if they lifted it or not. I sort of inherited the truck and only wanted the oil changed fast for the buyer as part of our deal.

Everything here seems to be such a major issue. Like I still haven't figured out how to lift the seat to access the battery. And now $250 oil changes. Geeze.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:55 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

I'd have to look, but I think its like 7.5/8l. I haven't gotten an Indy quote to do it yet because I don't trust them to have the right oil on hand. If I need to change it in the winter I'll probably buy the oil myself and take it to an Indy though (no garage to work in).

You just have to unbolt the seat to get to the battery. I don't know about the older models, but the 958 uses triple-square bolts (I want to say its 10mm, but don't quote me).

Unfortunately it really is true that you "have to pay to play" as there is no such thing as a cheap Porsche. The more you can do yourself, the cheaper it can be though. The cost of paying someone to do it doesn't always reflect the difficulty of doing it yourself.

Last edited by gnat; 10-21-2013 at 07:17 PM. Reason: corrected seat bolt size
Old 10-21-2013, 06:58 PM
Deezenuts
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Divot
You might be a redneck if...

...you use the plural 'Walmarts'.
the jugs at the walmarts i get are dem 6 quart ones
Old 10-21-2013, 07:25 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My indy who is Porsche and Mercedes only charges $110.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:02 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Originally Posted by gnat
I'd have to look, but I think its like 7.5/8l. I haven't gotten an Indy quote to do it yet because I don't trust them to have the right oil on hand. If I need to change it in the winter I'll probably buy the oil myself and take it to an Indy though (no garage to work in).

You just have to unbolt the seat to get to the battery. I don't know about the older models, but the 958 uses triple-square bolts (I want to say its 10mm, but don't quote me).

Unfortunately it really is true that you "have to pay to play" as there is no such thing as a cheap Porsche. The more you can do yourself, the cheaper it can be though. The cost of paying someone to do it doesn't always reflect the difficulty of doing it yourself.
I guess. Maybe I was badly confused about things. After all, my Toy 4 x 4 truck's oil change is about the same. You need to remove a bunch of bash plates and then drain the oil, change the filter and refill. One is, IIRC, 6 l and one 8 l so the difference should be 2 l cost plus filter differential. That was my idea, but apparently I"m living in a dreamland again.

As to the battery, I can't even find the bolts to unfasten. Well, it's not like I made a major issue of trying either.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:57 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Shops are in business to make a profit not to just break even, lots of expenses on their end too. I would have no qualms about a good shop charging $250 for an oil change (using quality oil) and a serious lookover of my car. However my local dealer uses Pennzoil 5w40 and Mobil 1 0w40 (corporate dealership) which I don't care for plus I've always enjoyed working on my own vehicles so I do it myself and use the oil I want.

I have a Durametric so I can reset the service reminder myself.

Quick Reply: How much do you spend changing oil?