Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Cayenne...Analog Tick Tock, Charming or Annoying?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 08:37 PM
Guards Red Car
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default New Cayenne...Analog Tick Tock, Charming or Annoying?

Love my new Cayenne Diesel
Compared with my Mini (sporting Run on Flat Tires) this Cayenne Diesel is smooth and vault-like quiet inside!
Remarkable fit and finish and lack of squeaks and rattles
I think the dashboard analog clock is functional and elegant, however I was initially irritated by the loud tick/tock....Getting used to it, however it does tend to intrude upon the otherwise silent cockpit
Old 10-16-2013, 09:41 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

The tick tock does not annoy me like the cutesy spinning of both hands at start up.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:17 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,587 Likes on 1,607 Posts

2014 Cayenne Diesel, absolutely NO tick tock.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:18 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,587 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxjim
The tick tock does not annoy me like the cutesy spinning of both hands at start up.
This annoys me as well.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:12 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

The ticking drove me nuts. Even more so because it would tick for about half the minute and then be silent the other half.

Luckily mine was at the tail end of the batch that had problems with their clocks failing and the delays in replacements had some dealers replacing the analog clock with the Sport Chrono (though it's only enabled as a clock). My dealer swapped mine and while it does still tick I only notice it if I'm parked with the engine off and windows up.

The startup/shutdown spinning doesn't bother me. It freaked me out the first time I was in the car when it shut off. Then I thought it was kinda cool/cute the next few times. Now I barely think about it as it's already done it's thing by the time I get in (it does it when you unlock it with the remote) and I'm rarely in the car with it off long enough to see it shut down. I guess you'd see the start up more often with the keyless stuff though.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:23 AM
zorba1331
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I am hard of hearing, but I never hear mine lol.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:28 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wear hearing aids, and can hear very soft ticking with neither engine running nor stereo on. Wife says she can hear it over road noise, but introducing Bose audio to the equation is sufficient to mask the ticking completely

//greg//
Old 10-17-2013, 11:47 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it was a PITA while in a loaner!
Old 10-17-2013, 10:06 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

no clock ticking for me either, just silent running ... thankfully.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:11 PM
jmorgan911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid question

This may be a stupid question (and I searched, I promise!!) but what option is necessary to get either the compass or analog clock? Just bought a 2011 CTT but no clock or compass on the dash.

John
Old 10-18-2013, 02:37 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

^ That is a good question. I checked through my order and cannot find anything on the analog clock. Just this on the compass.

Compass Display on Instrument Panel, replaces standard analog clock. Displays rotating compass rose with digital display showing altitude and time.
Required: PCM with Navigation Module
Old 10-18-2013, 04:08 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

For the 11s and 12s (change was mid12?) it was a separate option to get the analog clock (normal looking clock), sport chrono (in clock mode it displays the hours/minutes in the digital display and uses the big analog dial for the seconds. The smaller dial isn't used in clock mode), or compass (never seen one in person).

Starting in the 13s (late 12s?) the analog clock became standard. Early on, however, there was a quality issue with the clocks and many failed out right or had other issues that required replacement. This was wide spread enough that it took some people multiple months to get replacements and as a consequence some were replaced with the more readily available chrono instead (but only enabled to act as a clock).

Additionally the Sport Chrono and Compass remain options that you can order. I talked to Suncoast about switching to the compass when my analog clock was annoying. They knew of someone (Australia?) that was trying to make it work, but they did not believe it was possible if the car was not already wired for the compass. I also know of someone here or on 6spd that was looking to install the clock when his did not originally have it. In his case the wiring was not there and I helped him out (so you can look at my post history here and on 6spd to find the thread) by getting him some pics and wiring colors. I don't know if he ever got it working though.

Another alternative you might look into is to get the dash panel that accepts the clock/compass and use it for a different gauge instead. Since the diesel does not have a boost gauge option in the MFD like the TT I looked into it and found that with a bit of trimming Autometer's 66.7mm gauges will fit there (their Sport-comp II series even looks like a decent style match). I haven't gotten around to doing it yet though (still need to figure out how to run the boost/vac line down the dash and out the firewall).
Old 10-18-2013, 10:12 PM
TGED
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For 11s and 12s, the normal analog clock was not available as an option.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:00 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had one of the first 2013 Cayennes with the original batch of bad analog clocks. When it worked it was silent, and swept like an automatic.

It was replaced with one from the re-engineered batch (designed not to die after 3 weeks) and that one makes an inconsistent ticking noise, and second hand moves like a quartz instead of sweeping. Ticking noise sounded more annoying after gnat started posting about it last year!

Annoying enough that they featured it in the soundtrack for this video!

Old 10-18-2013, 11:29 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TGED
For 11s and 12s, the normal analog clock was not available as an option.
My mistake then, I thought it was a selectable option.

Originally Posted by steve_Cayenne
Ticking noise sounded more annoying after gnat started posting about it last year!
Steve!!!

I wondered where you were hiding

P.S. Tick tick tick ... ... ... ... tick tick tick

Quick Reply: New Cayenne...Analog Tick Tock, Charming or Annoying?