Water Distributor Failure - 2008 CTT @ 50k miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 02:07 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy E.
In the tech notes section of last month's Excellence magazine, there's an in-depth discussion about the coolant distributor failures that have been plaguing the 957 Cayenne as well as certain 911 models. The bonding agent that is used to fit the hose pipe extension to the cast manifold fails under high heat conditions.

Also, there's the potential hazard of damaging certain transmission components after such a failure. An interesting read...
Trying to find a copy of this article. Can you point me at it or scan the relevant section for me?

Thanks!

Best,
TomF
Old 05-09-2014, 02:41 PM
drewcwsj
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Subscribed - I would like to see it too
Old 06-08-2014, 07:59 PM
957Turbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering, for the 08 Turbo owners that have not had this happen yet, would it be a smart idea to remove high pressure fuel pump to get access and just apply JB weld onto the distributor and pipe to create more holding strength and hopefully prevent the separation in the future?
Old 06-09-2014, 11:20 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by 957Turbo
Just wondering, for the 08 Turbo owners that have not had this happen yet, would it be a smart idea to remove high pressure fuel pump to get access and just apply JB weld onto the distributor and pipe to create more holding strength and hopefully prevent the separation in the future?

Probably. I too have considered this or the route of adding a set screw to the fitting. There is a small possibility that the dealer may have already done this on my car...trying to get the record this week.

Best,
TomF
Old 06-21-2014, 02:07 AM
957Turbo
Instructor

Very bad news, I traced my faint coolant smell to the damn distributor pipe!! It has worked it's way out around 40% of the way, and I can clearly see the yellowish residue from a leak.
Ok, so this is where I need some help, how in a gods green earth did you manage to remove the high pressure pump? From what I can feel with my hand that barely fits in there, there are 3 bolts holding the pump down??
What type of wrench did you use, my smallest socket does not even fit in there.... Anything I should be carefull about when doing this procedure?
Any tips are appreciated!

In the mean time I cleaned the surface as much as I can and applied some JB weld on the distributor and the pipe so the pipe would not move out further...

I can't believe Porsche does not have this as a recall!
Old 06-23-2014, 04:59 AM
slots
Track Day

Very sorry your having this problem. If you haven't already done so please file a safety report on this and hopefully eventually like the other coolant pipe people we shall get reimbursed for the cost of fixing this design flaw.

Go here to file your report there are already several listed on this same problem:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/...rod_ids=421772
Old 08-06-2014, 09:22 PM
slots
Track Day

As of today we have 4 NHTSA safety reports on this water distributor adhesive failure , hopefully more people will report as this must not be an isolated issue
Old 08-09-2014, 01:31 PM
957Turbo
Instructor

It is certanly not an isolated problem, I have talked to Bauer Porsche Repair in Bay Area and they mentioned that they had 2 blown out pipes that they fixed by JB welding the pipe in!
Old 08-31-2014, 07:14 AM
iamjpad
Intermediate

Is this only an issue with the Turbo? All the reports on the NHTSA site are for turbo vehicles. Should base, and Sport model owners be knocking on wood?
Old 09-10-2014, 04:50 AM
dgreen78
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 957Turbo
Very bad news, I traced my faint coolant smell to the damn distributor pipe!! It has worked it's way out around 40% of the way, and I can clearly see the yellowish residue from a leak.
Ok, so this is where I need some help, how in a gods green earth did you manage to remove the high pressure pump? From what I can feel with my hand that barely fits in there, there are 3 bolts holding the pump down??
What type of wrench did you use, my smallest socket does not even fit in there.... Anything I should be carefull about when doing this procedure?
Any tips are appreciated!

In the mean time I cleaned the surface as much as I can and applied some JB weld on the distributor and the pipe so the pipe would not move out further...

I can't believe Porsche does not have this as a recall!
Any update on your fix? I would like to JB weld my fitting in before it falls out but am unsure of how to remove the pump? Would be nice to have a DIY.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:58 PM
957Turbo
Instructor

Originally Posted by dgreen78
Any update on your fix? I would like to JB weld my fitting in before it falls out but am unsure of how to remove the pump? Would be nice to have a DIY.
Here you go:
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...utor-leak.html
Old 09-10-2014, 10:38 PM
dgreen78
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the link! I plan on doing the same thing to mine this next week.

Are you sure the pinning is not possible? Is the firewall or intake in the way to get a long drill bit / tap dow there? Mine is not leaking at the moment so I would like to do the fix before a disaster happens!

I like what Sharkwerks does to fix the problem. I was hoping to get a really long drill bit in there!

http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/techni...urbo-cars.html
Old 09-11-2014, 04:52 PM
slots
Track Day

We are now at 5 formal reports on the NHTSA site over this issue and I would expect more since the '08's are now out of warranty and their owners will start to get hit with this expensive and possibly dangerous flaw.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:22 PM
957Turbo
Instructor

That fix looks nice but there is just no space in there to do that properly! The whole repair was a big pain, my hands were hurting for a week after this one! NOT FUN! We need the recall so Porsche can do this properly, which is to remove the water distributor and do a threaded solution.... The JB Weld option does seem to work well tho..

Originally Posted by dgreen78
Thanks for the link! I plan on doing the same thing to mine this next week.

Are you sure the pinning is not possible? Is the firewall or intake in the way to get a long drill bit / tap dow there? Mine is not leaking at the moment so I would like to do the fix before a disaster happens!

I like what Sharkwerks does to fix the problem. I was hoping to get a really long drill bit in there!

http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/techni...urbo-cars.html
Old 11-25-2014, 09:21 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 429 Likes on 173 Posts

One more failure to add to the list;
Cayenne S 2008
Pipe blew right out during a downshift, causing sudden coolant loss.

I've been told there is a newly designed water distributor with Part Number 94810606107. Apparently this time the outlet is threaded into the water distributor housing instead of just bonded in place. The way it should have been done initially.

Of course it seems the only way to get that part installed safely is by dropping the engine...

Thank you to the bean counters who decided to save $1 in this area despite knowing that it would compromise safety, brand integrity and customer satisfaction.

Has anyone had any luck yet tapping the thread from the top of the engine?

Quick Reply: Water Distributor Failure - 2008 CTT @ 50k miles