Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Range Rover Sport vs. Cayenne - Why did u buy Cayenne?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 02:21 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep, the Cayenne is about more than acceleration, like towing, and luxury features, and fancy handling features. ALL of which can be had at a much higher level with an old ctt vs a new base V6 and for less money. Enough less that you could go buy something to tow with the savings!
Old 07-31-2013, 02:23 PM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by kosmo
camary? camery? camry?
I call it creamery.
If a Toyota driver can't spell or pronounce the P word then why should we get the Crampery right.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:37 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 198 Posts

Isn't that 5.7s 0-60 Camry just as fast or faster than the 955 and 957 CS as well? It's just about as fast as the 958 CS, but who the hell would prefer to drive a Camry over any variant of Cayenne?

I love when guys bash the V6 and talk about speed and power. Reminds me of the guy with the big fat gold chain around his neck driving a convertible corvette. Yes, your car may be faster and has more power than most, but quit trying to over compensate for whatever else it is you're lacking.

It's all about personal preference. I chose to spend the money on a brand new 958 V6. At what I paid back in early 2011, I prob could picked up a 957 CTT, definitely a 955 CTT, and saved a good amount of cash. I didn't even consider it. That was my decision, right for me, but maybe doesn't make sense to others. So be it. But please don't try to make it seem like us V6 owners are inferior to you.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:52 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

There is a huge value proposition with a used 955/957 TT. But there is a lot going for a new 958 base. Improved dynamics and economy, interior and for some having a new car warranty and all that entails just makes sense. I am done with new cars personally and fall into the get a well optioned affordable used model. But I see the merit for both paths.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:22 PM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by slwong23

I love when guys bash the V6 and talk about speed and power. Reminds me of the guy with the big fat gold chain around his neck driving a convertible corvette. Yes, your car may be faster and has more power than most, but quit trying to over compensate for whatever else it is you're lacking.

I chose to spend the money on a brand new 958 V6. .... But please don't try to make it seem like us V6 owners are inferior to you.
See, I was sure it was 180* from this.

I bought my SUV to do SUV things. Like tow a 7700lb trailer over multiple mountain ranges up to 12,000 feet of elevation. Then safely slow down that load coming down.

Things that the V6 just won't do reasonably.

The V6 is for the "gold chain wearing Corvette owners" trying to compensate for something. (as you put it)

For the guy that *must* have the most current model, no matter what the cost, even if it doesn't *really* do what the SUV was designed to do. Just so that people don't think he can only afford a "used car"

Seems to me the only reason you buy a V6 in the first place is to be seen in a "Porsche". Not for all the real sporty performance things that make a Porsche what it really is!

I personally bought my 04 CTT for what it can do and the way it drives. The 957 and 958 are not $120K better at this point. Are they better....to some degree.....but..$120K+ better.????...not even close!!!!!!! Is the base V6 958 $40K better???............not even in the ballpark! ......just my personal opinion and preference of course

...and nobody bashed the V6 owners until they brought it up
Old 07-31-2013, 10:41 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

I think there are leagues of people that are already going to buy a NEW luxury suv/crossover in the 40-60k range. When stacked against the likes of an ML, RX, GX, MDX, FX, X5, Q7/5 etc.. the base model is an attractive choice. Its a capable suv with a nice interior and great handling with class parity power. Is it a "Proper" porsche based on the historical brand position.. thats debatable.

I am looking for value for the money and so I will continue to buy used highly optioned cars in good shape for WAY CHEAPER than retail. I think we come from the same camp here. Still, not everyone buying a base cayenne is trying to be all gold chain wearing, flexin and all that. That just isnt the ONLY reason. For some its just as "rational" a choice as buying any other NEW luxury SUV in that price range. I think you could have stated your opinion without marginalizing everyone who bought or is considering a base 958 and stuff and things.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:55 PM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by endless_corners
I think there are leagues of people that are already going to buy a NEW luxury suv/crossover in the 40-60k range. When stacked against the likes of an ML, RX, GX, MDX, FX, X5, Q7/5 etc.. the base model is an attractive choice. Its a capable suv with a nice interior and great handling with class parity power. Is it a "Proper" porsche based on the historical brand position.. thats debatable.

I am looking for value for the money and so I will continue to buy used highly optioned cars in good shape for WAY CHEAPER than retail. I think we come from the same camp here. Still, not everyone buying a base cayenne is trying to be all gold chain wearing, flexin and all that. That just isnt the ONLY reason. For some its just as "rational" a choice as buying any other NEW luxury SUV in that price range. I think you could have stated your opinion without marginalizing everyone who bought or is considering a base 958 and stuff and things.
I agree with all that I just wanted to point out the "Devil's Advocate" view on the idea that we V8 owners were only doing it to compensate for something....and that somehow the V6 was the only logical choice.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:09 AM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole
See, I was sure it was 180* from this.

I bought my SUV to do SUV things. Like tow a 7700lb trailer over multiple mountain ranges up to 12,000 feet of elevation. Then safely slow down that load coming down.

Things that the V6 just won't do reasonably.

The V6 is for the "gold chain wearing Corvette owners" trying to compensate for something. (as you put it)

For the guy that *must* have the most current model, no matter what the cost, even if it doesn't *really* do what the SUV was designed to do. Just so that people don't think he can only afford a "used car"

Seems to me the only reason you buy a V6 in the first place is to be seen in a "Porsche". Not for all the real sporty performance things that make a Porsche what it really is!

I personally bought my 04 CTT for what it can do and the way it drives. The 957 and 958 are not $120K better at this point. Are they better....to some degree.....but..$120K+ better.????...not even close!!!!!!! Is the base V6 958 $40K better???............not even in the ballpark! ......just my personal opinion and preference of course

...and nobody bashed the V6 owners until they brought it up
Wasn't it you that spoke of the Camry smoking a Porsche? You weren't exactly putting the V6 in a positive light, nor are you now. I can't argue with you about the towing piece, but the V6 has the same tow rating as both the V8s. To say the V6 can't do "SUV things" or what SUV are designed to do is just silly. It's not really a comparison thing anyway, as the 4 main engines offered are fairly different from one another. You'll never get an argument from me that V8s are more powerful and can likely do some things better than a V6.

It's pretty obvious from your tone how you feel about the V6 and maybe V6 owners. No sweat. But since you're making assumptions about why I bought my car, I'll enlighten you. I loved the redesign, both the interior and exterior, and contrary what you may think, the V6 is very sporty and offers great performance. It's just not all that fast. You were right about one thing, I did partially buy for the badge, but the same thing can be said about my previous cars. I personally find it hard to believe any luxury car buyer doesn't partially buy for the badge.

I just get tired of reading the small minority that bash the V6, and then go on to talk about speed. I'm just as much as an enthusiast as you, I just chose to spend my money differently. You would never buy a 958 V6, I would never buy any variant of the 955/957. However, I would never fault someone for preferring a 955/957 over a 958, either.

All that said, you seem to enjoy your own sarcasm, so carry on, don't let me interrupt you any longer.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:48 AM
almeena58
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you are thinking about look and off road go to G class,
if you need to enjoy driving go for Cayenne
Old 08-01-2013, 05:02 AM
Cole
Drifting

Wink

Wasn't it you that spoke of the Camry smoking a Porsche?
Yep! Because the V6 is dog slow!

You weren't exactly putting the V6 in a positive light, nor are you now.
Either does Porsche for that matter. Hell, they just stuck a VW motor in it! I have another 5200lb vehicle with the VR6 in it and its a horribly underpowered vehicle, especially at altitude!!

I can't argue with you about the towing piece, but the V6 has the same tow rating as both the V8s. To say the V6 can't do "SUV things" or what SUV are designed to do is just silly.
First off I said I bought my SUV to do SUV things like tow a 7700lb trailer. Sure, your v6 chassis is rated to tow that much weight but I dare you to pull 7700lbs from Denver to Grand Junction just once with the V6 and see how it does! I was pointing out to your comments about the v8 guys "compensating for something" that we are, we are compensating for altitude and weight. Something the v6 simply doesn't do!

You'll never get an argument from me that V8s are more powerful and can likely do some things better than a V6
Then why are you arguing about it. You seem to be the one offended here that some of us don't like the V6. You were the first one calling us V8 owners "gold chain Corvette owners compensating for something and looking down our noses at the V6 owners"

It's pretty obvious from your tone how you feel about the V6 and maybe V6 owners.
It's true, I don't think the v6 is a good representation of the model. I've never had a complaint about the owners unless they start calling names and making wild assumptions about why the rest of us chose an appropriate motor for a top tier SUV from a performance brand

But since you're making assumptions about why I bought my car,

No, I wasn't. It was a rebuttal. I honestly don't care why you chose the V6. Especially since it is not the topic of the thread. But it was fun pointing out how one could view it the exact same way you did with your insults towards V8 owners

I'll enlighten you. I loved the redesign, both the interior and exterior, and contrary what you may think, the V6 is very sporty and offers great performance.
No, it doesn't.

It's just not all that fast.
.....kinda part of the whole point of the brand!!

You were right about one thing, I did partially buy for the badge, but the same thing can be said about my previous cars. I personally find it hard to believe any luxury car buyer doesn't partially buy for the badge.
I have never viewed Porsche as a "luxury" car. Most people that do find themselves disappointed with the experience. Everyone that complains about the NAV system on the old Cayennes for example. Or the people disappointed at the basic looking interiors of the 955/957.

In this modern day some features are expected on any expensive car. You can get way more "luxury" items on a Jeep for far less money than on a Porsche.

I just get tired of reading the small minority that bash the V6, and then go on to talk about speed. I'm just as much as an enthusiast as you, I just chose to spend my money differently.
This is where we are really going to differ. I don't think the V6 gives the same experience as the V8/turbo AT ALL!! It's not about "drag racing" or "speed" but the EXPERIENCE is totally changed when driving it like a "sports car" the v6 just doesn't rip from corner to corner, especially at altitude, like a big V8 turbocharged motor. Nor does it effortlessly pull the high mountain passes filled with people or maybe a trailer like the big motor cars. The engine can make or break a car. Soooooooo much more performance can be had by true enthusiasts for sooooooo much less money by picking up a slightly older version.

For me the V6 just kills the magic these cars have to offer, I'm sorry that offends you.

I think that TRUE enthusiasts will ALWAYS buy the most car they can for the money! People that want they most BRAND for the money will always buy the least expensive newest version.

Now, does this mean someone should never buy a V6? No. It's certainly possible for a true enthusiast that REALLY wants a Cayenne to buy the oldest cheapest V6 they can just to have a Cayenne when that's all they can afford. I applaud that enthusiast.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:34 AM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 71 Posts

Depends upon size of ones bank account, vehicle needs (towing, for instance), ones performance expectations, and ones rationalization of allocating financial resources (might have a big bank account, but can't rationalize spending X+ amount on a vehicle). Image, prestige goes into the equation, as well -- some have to own the top end; some don't.

As far as performance is concerned, not everyone wants to take the twisty's at warp speed.

Personally, I don't have any image issues, and am not embarrassed to drive a CV6 or a CD; I like both. My prior Cayenne was a Turbo -- don't feel I'm missing anything.

From a business perspective, Porsche finds it profitable to offer a wide range of Cayenne's -- spreads development / manufacturing investments over more vehicles. If nothing else, the "lowly" CV6 could be a "gateway" vehicle to higher end offerings in the future.

As stated, if one has a budget for an SUV of $40K to $60K, the CV6 fits the bill, and will perform better than other possibilities in that price range.

And if one wants even thicker / heavier "gold chains", I just saw a very nice Bugatti Veyron for $2.5M with 1,200 hp on CNBC.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:37 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I can see this thread degenerating rapidly into a mines bigger than your scenario when in fact they all work.

Phil, need new picture of monster ! stat !
Old 08-01-2013, 10:26 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

get some thicker skin dude.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:31 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by almeena58
if you are thinking about look and off road go to G class,
if you need to enjoy driving go for Cayenne
funny, a buddy of mine has a G glass thats never seen anything other than smooth paved roads, nevermind off roading. He has a Jeep and a pick up for those dirty jobs.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:43 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

One way or the other, I have to buy some gold chains. That's going to be a reach for me because I don't even wear a watch.

Quick Reply: Range Rover Sport vs. Cayenne - Why did u buy Cayenne?