Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Range Rover Sport vs. Cayenne - Why did u buy Cayenne?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 08:14 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

umm, because I did not want a Ford.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:54 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Thanks for all the input, not surprisingly the comments are biased! I just wanted to know when people bought their cars if they considered RR and if so, why they didn't get one?

While researching, I am finding that Cayenne seems to have even a HIGHER depreciation than RR? That's totally shocking to me. Now, my follow-up question is, looking specifically at 2009 Cayenne S models, what are the biggest reliability issues with that model to watchout for?

Thanks
Old 07-24-2013, 12:41 AM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Be careful on your depreciation calculations. Since all options on a Cayenne are "al la carte" they are not priced the same. One Cayenne S could be tens of thousands more than another new.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:42 AM
gtmaster303
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Really? How does this matter? You want a V8 Cayenne, buy one. Not like it ONLY comes with a V6.
no, I wanted a V6. it's a bit easier on gas
Old 07-24-2013, 09:10 AM
SnakeBitten
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OCNYPORSCHE
umm, because I did not want a Ford.
You're a little behind. Not a Ford.

Originally Posted by philg3
2) Ownership has been a hot potato proposition in the past with Ford, BMW, and now Tata Motors.
3) Not sure about their long financial viability, and adequate funding of R&D. Porsche spends plenty on R&D -- develops / improves systems -- then rolls them out in multiple models, thereby leveraging every R&D Euro. We get the benefit of that leverage in both reliability, and cost. Very brilliant strategy and organizational structure that makes it all work.
I wouldn't worry about Tata owning them. Tata is a very large and prosperous conglomerate. Jaguar and Land Rover's scalability across new models with this latest generation is helping them out a lot too.

Originally Posted by Nosoup4u
Personally, not a big fan of the redesign regarding the RRS. I know it is faster, lighter, interior is stepped up to the big brother RR, etc. But, weight savings might not be 800 lbs as claimed. When they weighed the RR [2013 redesign claiming similar weight loss) - it was only around 450-500 lbs. Still, a lot of weight lost.
The weight loss was ~800lbs. only when optioned similarly to its predecessor. Start adding in the pano roof and full executive package and the weight gain diminishes.

I avg. 13.3 mpg with my RRS [using my calculator]. I BARELY see a 300 mile range when I fill up - maybe around 300-310 on a good day. I just filled up today and saw a range of 270. I would suspect the newer ones have slightly better gas mileage - might be around 14-15 mpg on avg., lol. I know when I filled up my wife's cayenne S this past weekend - it was substantially larger range (close to 500 if not over). The Cayenne S gets much better gas mileage.
You're not taking into account the previous-gen RRS' relatively small fuel tank too.

The BIGGEST cost that 'could' occur is the air suspension on the RRS. You are talking around $10K+. HOWEVER, most people simply go to a coil/spring system at that point and completely remove air suspension. I bought warranty from dealership to cover the air suspension specifically. Storage - RRS, at least to me, appears to have much more trunk space - but, it simply might be an illusion because of the boxiness. The mini fridge under the center armrest is kind of neat - but, never use it.
Who's been doing this on any recent RRS? Most of the time people had leaks in the air bags (as with almost any luxury car with an air suspension from the past decade) and then didn't notice it, leading to compressor failure. Haven't heard of any $10k repairs. Although I'm glad the '14 model has a revised system, finally brought it up the new generation.

It's worth noting a Cayenne with air suspension is not immune to this either.

All this to say, a Cayenne Turbo is still going to be dynamically superior to the new '14 RRS Supercharged. However, the new RRS will have a 3rd row of seats, more cargo room, and a more traditional interior that will attract its fans. I love my CTT but I may move over just for the sake of change in a year or two.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:50 AM
Cole
Drifting

Wink

Originally Posted by gtmaster303
Most accounts from owners here seem to suggest just the opposite.

My own experience with a 5200lb VR6 Eurovan (same basic 24v VR6) and my CTT would suggest the same.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:30 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

frankly in my eyes I dont compare the new RRS vs the CTT. I compare it to the C GTS.

I interested in driving the new RRS. Looks are definately there for me but will have to see about the driving dynamics.

Separately the New range rover (the big one) is VERY nice and comfy. I cant believe my frd paid like $140k!
Old 07-24-2013, 06:57 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Cool video

Old 07-24-2013, 08:00 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,582 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Originally Posted by gtmaster303

Ok, sorry, I read that backwards. My bad!
Old 07-25-2013, 03:21 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cole
Care to point out how and where?
Dont get me wrong, I prefer the cayenne all day long. But the RRS is the closest thing out there to a real competitor.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:43 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

So I got to test drive a 2009 Cayenne S and then a 2010 RRS HSE (V8). Here's my finding based on short test drive.

- Handling
Cayenne had less body roll and overall felt lighter, but RRS wasn't a slouch either, it still felt almost like a Sedan and significantly better than any other SUV I've driven. So, Cayenne better, but not by much (I think PDCC would tip it further, but this car didn't have it).

- Performance
It was very hard to tell, Cayenne felt faster, and on paper it is, but again RRS was also fairly sporty. So, again Cayenne but not by much.

- Ride
Hands down, RRS! I guess it's a compromise with Cayenne handling. It just had a different thump around bumps, better isolation of cabin, and overall felt more like a luxurious ride than Cayenne. So, RRS by a big margin.

- Fit and finish
RRS again hands down. It literally looks and feels much more expensive, luxurious, and much nicer all around. Again, this was comparing it to a non full-leather Cayenne which I think only comes in TT. But, both cars are similar price range, so in the sense it's fair and RRS comes with more leather trim without extra options.

- Styling
This is subjective ofcourse, but I think as much as RRS has been known for its styling, Cayenne has been criticized for it. RRS wins this in my eyes.

- Room/cargo
Very hard to say, as I tested on two different weekends, I wish it was on the same lot. But they seem to be equal in terms of room both for passengers and cargo.

- Overall
Well, I think it basically comes down to what you care mostly about? Handling and performance, or ride, comfort, and styling. I am still torn, but leaning more towards RRS, specially since I have a 997 for performance and track driving, and RRS was quite sporty. Sitting down in the driver's seat in RRS just felt more special at the end. If I find a GTS at a good price, might consider one, but CS vs. RRS goes to RRS. Now, gotto find that perfect car, get an extended warranty and go from there!
Old 07-25-2013, 11:04 PM
Cole
Drifting

Now go test drive a turbo!
Old 07-26-2013, 12:43 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Nice comparison. Did the cayenne have air suspension? Also keep in mind those are both last generation models.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:37 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole
Now go test drive a turbo!
and a Lexus
Old 07-26-2013, 10:46 AM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Originally Posted by endless_corners
Nice comparison. Did the cayenne have air suspension?
That's what I was thinking.

Quick Reply: Range Rover Sport vs. Cayenne - Why did u buy Cayenne?