Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Range Rover Sport vs. Cayenne - Why did u buy Cayenne?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 11:02 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My experience w/ the RR was utter crap i'm afraid. When it came down to it, it was b/w a Cayenne and X5.

However, the New RR looks very promising. From what I've seen online, I like the interior better than my 11 Cayenne.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:07 AM
billyg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AdMan21
I never chose the Cayenne, the Cayenne chose me.
Yo Ad, 1 of the best posts ever!
Old 07-23-2013, 11:44 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The brand new RRS is a worthy adversary to the cayenne.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:54 AM
mcbit
Drifting

Is it though? 3 secs on a 60 second lap is a lot of ground to make up.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/v...-cayenne-turbo
Old 07-23-2013, 11:54 AM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by endless_corners
The brand new RRS is a worthy adversary to the cayenne.

Care to point out how and where?
Old 07-23-2013, 12:16 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Watch/Read like 6 more reviews. I'm a pig loyalist but the news RRS is a worthy competitor.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:21 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

its the curry
Old 07-23-2013, 12:29 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Watch/Read like 6 more reviews. I'm a pig loyalist but the news RRS is a worthy competitor.
Same driver as the CTT vs C4S you posted. Our MD has one and it really is still a boat compared to the Cayenne.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:44 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by gtmaster303
Cayenne comes with a V6. Range Rover Sports are only V8s
For the new RR Sport (2014 model), the available engines are Supercharged V6 and Supercharged V8.

https://newrangeroversport.landrover...plore/overview
Old 07-23-2013, 12:56 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Originally Posted by mudman2
its the curry
Tata
Old 07-23-2013, 12:57 PM
Cole
Drifting

So how about you post these reviews?
Old 07-23-2013, 01:08 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 71 Posts

RR's have always had a nice look -- outside and interior. Have test driven them in the past, and while I wanted to like them, they handled like a 1970 Pontiac Bonneville -- too much leaning, and undersized brakes. That may have all changed, probably has, but I view the purchase of one as a risky proposition:
1) Generally have not done well in reliability rankings, or depreciation.
2) Ownership has been a hot potato proposition in the past with Ford, BMW, and now Tata Motors.
3) Not sure about their long financial viability, and adequate funding of R&D. Porsche spends plenty on R&D -- develops / improves systems -- then rolls them out in multiple models, thereby leveraging every R&D Euro. We get the benefit of that leverage in both reliability, and cost. Very brilliant strategy and organizational structure that makes it all work.

Last edited by philg3; 07-23-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:52 PM
pjdavis67
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me, I wanted a luxury / sporty SUV with AWD and a manual transmission.
For the 2014 MY, I believe the Porsche Cayenne is the only choice here in the USA.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:11 PM
Nosoup4u
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole
So it sounds like you bought this for a different purpose and not really a true comparison.
Not really. I have my fully built off-road fun car as well. Just wanted a daily driver that I could take off roads with my kids at times if I ever chose to. I'd like to get them involved with MOAB, Rubicon trail, etc. The RRS can definitely handle it.

Personally, not a big fan of the redesign regarding the RRS. I know it is faster, lighter, interior is stepped up to the big brother RR, etc. But, weight savings might not be 800 lbs as claimed. When they weighed the RR [2013 redesign claiming similar weight loss) - it was only around 450-500 lbs. Still, a lot of weight lost.

I avg. 13.3 mpg with my RRS [using my calculator]. I BARELY see a 300 mile range when I fill up - maybe around 300-310 on a good day. I just filled up today and saw a range of 270. I would suspect the newer ones have slightly better gas mileage - might be around 14-15 mpg on avg., lol. I know when I filled up my wife's cayenne S this past weekend - it was substantially larger range (close to 500 if not over). The Cayenne S gets much better gas mileage.

The Cayenne S's problems - at least we've seen is mostly electrical gremlins. Climate control [rear] went out and had to be replaced. Rear window wiper motor had to be replaced ... speakers crackling, etc. Nothing mechanical noteworthy.

The RRS 'FEELS' faster b/c of the torque/supercharger kicking in - but, in reality, cayenne S is much quicker. More than a second quicker 0-60. The Cayenne S has a much better exhaust sound - hand's down. Sounds great stock [starting up, idling, and accelerating]. RRS - pretty much, non-existent sounds. The RRS has std. an auxiliary port ... making it easier to connect an ipod/iphone. Cayenne S - nothing. Navigation/interior on RRS - pretty lame - with the green lighting ... reminding you of an early '80's vehicle [not one that cost close to $80K new]. Cayenne S - much better interior comparatively speaking.

Cayenne S - seats are not as comfortable as RRS, at least to me. Visibility in RRS is much better than Cayenne S. If you want to upgrade the stereo [new head unit, etc] in the RRS - you can pretty much forget it without doing some major work. With RRS - you cannot put the 2010+ LED headlights as a retrofit - way too much work. You CAN put the 2010+ LED rear taillights - plug and play. If you add a $10 resistor to each side - no issues with fast blinking.

The BIGGEST cost that 'could' occur is the air suspension on the RRS. You are talking around $10K+. HOWEVER, most people simply go to a coil/spring system at that point and completely remove air suspension. I bought warranty from dealership to cover the air suspension specifically. Storage - RRS, at least to me, appears to have much more trunk space - but, it simply might be an illusion because of the boxiness. The mini fridge under the center armrest is kind of neat - but, never use it.

Maintenance wise - I would say Cayenne is slightly cheaper to maintain. RRS - full brake kit (rotors, sensors, pads, etc.) - around $900 [no labor - just parts if ordering online]. Cayenne S - around $700 [no labor - just parts]. I think with Cayenne S - you can even get to the $400-500 range.

Driving aggressively - you can definitely feel weight of RRS if you push it around turns [likes to understeer]. However, no real body roll though. Cayenne S - feels more agile and tossable. But, the RRS is very easy to drive in city traffic - you do not feel the weight of it at all [surprisingly]. It is very easy to park, etc. The 2009 RRS has the clear lights on rear tail [non-LED though] vs. the yellow ones on 2008 and earlier.

The RRS makes a lot of squeaks when driving -- air suspension is a big factor in that. You hear it filling up, hissing out, etc. Cayenne makes much less sound. Both cars are almost identical to insure in price. Both cars use the flip-out key switch. The Cayenne S has better range with its homelink system vs. the RRS. Baby seats in rear - seems to be about same size interior-wise. We have 2 recaro prosports in each.

Reason I did not go with the Cayenne Turbo or the GTS - could not really justify having 2 cayenne's with only difference being engine primarily. If you look at used - I would stick with 2008+ Cayenne's or 2007+ RRS's [unless you step up to the redesigned 2010 model]. Both are going to be about the same price used though for a well-taken care of/documented vehicle [middle-high 30's depending on mileage, options, etc.].
Old 07-23-2013, 08:09 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

you will NEVER take a rangy sport up MOAB period, same as I would not take my TT. I would take a beater and so would you for the same reasons. Best bet for that would be a a spare 04/05 TT with big rubber or a purpose built truck.

Quick Reply: Range Rover Sport vs. Cayenne - Why did u buy Cayenne?