Sponsored by:

Towing to Parade

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 07:07 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Towing to Parade

Just got back form parade, Long trip from San Antonio to Traverse City and back. The 2011 Cayenne S did great as we pulled the Trailex enclosed with the Boxster Spyder in in plus lots of "stuff" for some friends. Over all mileage was 12.8 and I drove at the speed limit all the way except here in Texas where I would not go over 75 towing ( We have speed limits up to 85). This makes over 10,000 miles I have towed with the Cayenne and the Trailex and the Cayenne with no issues. It now has over 34,000 miles on it and was delivered in March two years ago. Got a call on the way home from my dealer saying that the 2014 Cayenne Diesel I had ordered for my wife was on the boat headed our way.

Again for those on the fence the Cayenne is a fantastic vehicle. One of our region members drove here Diesel to parade and back, no trailer but loaded and got 37.5 mpg for the trip. With no trailer I get 24+ up to 80mph and 25.5 below 70 on the "S" so looking forward to the Diesel
Old 07-02-2013, 09:23 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Nice!

Wish that my dealer was so up to speed. I have to call him for updates and then it's cryptic information I get back. My car was supposed to finish production last week some time (why can't I get an exact date). We could be on the same boat (hopefully!).
Old 07-02-2013, 03:16 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

and I hope the ships Captain knows where fast forward is
Old 07-02-2013, 04:07 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
Just got back form parade, Long trip from San Antonio to Traverse City and back. The 2011 Cayenne S did great as we pulled the Trailex enclosed with the Boxster Spyder in in plus lots of "stuff" for some friends. Over all mileage was 12.8 and I drove at the speed limit all the way except here in Texas where I would not go over 75 towing ( We have speed limits up to 85). This makes over 10,000 miles I have towed with the Cayenne and the Trailex and the Cayenne with no issues. It now has over 34,000 miles on it and was delivered in March two years ago. Got a call on the way home from my dealer saying that the 2014 Cayenne Diesel I had ordered for my wife was on the boat headed our way.

Again for those on the fence the Cayenne is a fantastic vehicle. One of our region members drove here Diesel to parade and back, no trailer but loaded and got 37.5 mpg for the trip. With no trailer I get 24+ up to 80mph and 25.5 below 70 on the "S" so looking forward to the Diesel
How are you dealing with the side view mirrors, and the zero visibility to the rear? I have tried a multitude of add-ons mirrors with no luck. I wish somebody made a permanent wider mirror, or a powered extension base.

My 06TT with an open trailex does 11mpg-12mpg at my towing speeds (75-80 mph). The few times I pulled an enclosed trailer, the number got below 8mpg (24ft Hallmark square front).
Old 07-02-2013, 07:28 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
How are you dealing with the side view mirrors, and the zero visibility to the rear? I have tried a multitude of add-ons mirrors with no luck. I wish somebody made a permanent wider mirror, or a powered extension base.

My 06TT with an open trailex does 11mpg-12mpg at my towing speeds (75-80 mph). The few times I pulled an enclosed trailer, the number got below 8mpg (24ft Hallmark square front).
Interesting you mention that as I had the same problem several years ago as I couldn't find anything that would attach to the Cayenne mirrors. Then I came upon the Aero 2 mirrors marketed by JR products. They fit perfectly and actually look good on the Cayenne. They are made in England, attach easily and are quality. You still can't see directly behind you but they are as wide as legal and work great. Were solid over bumpy roads and at the speeds I ran. Besides the people at JR products are friendly and provide great service.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:56 PM
williamr91
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What color is your CS? I was there Sunday and Monday with my Silver CTT (955 gen)
Old 07-02-2013, 09:45 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by williamr91
What color is your CS? I was there Sunday and Monday with my Silver CTT (955 gen)
Silver with black wheels. It was down in the golf course parking lot next to my white trailer. The extension mirrors were on it. In fact the folks from Porsche wanted to take a picture of the mirrors so there may be some "Porsche design" mirrors coming. I asked them two years ago about mirrors and nothing happened but now that another vender has them they may make a move. I'm going to paint them silver to match the Cayenne this weekend.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:04 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Originally Posted by f4 plt
Interesting you mention that as I had the same problem several years ago as I couldn't find anything that would attach to the Cayenne mirrors. Then I came upon the Aero 2 mirrors marketed by JR products. They fit perfectly and actually look good on the Cayenne. They are made in England, attach easily and are quality. You still can't see directly behind you but they are as wide as legal and work great. Were solid over bumpy roads and at the speeds I ran. Besides the people at JR products are friendly and provide great service.
I also use the JR products mirrors but I opted for the Grand Aero style. I pull a 20 ft enclosed Featherlite with my 2013 CD and have not had any issues. I like the larger mirror surface due to the height, width, and length (approx 8ft x 8ft x 27ft) of the trailer. The Grand Aero mirrors are very adjustable and secure and I'd recommend them for the Cayenne.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:36 PM
williamr91
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahh I do remember seeing it, I'm sure it is in a few of the hundreds of photos we took Towards the end of the day I was by the golf course behind a 4.0 gt3 rs
Old 07-04-2013, 09:29 AM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

+1 on those mirrors. Thanks for recommending them F4 plt. Very good visibility and very easy to use. I got 12mpg towing my enclosed with ~2900 lb car/gear in my CS last weekend. Are you ditching the CS for the diesel?
Old 07-04-2013, 10:22 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by scott40
+1 on those mirrors. Thanks for recommending them F4 plt. Very good visibility and very easy to use. I got 12mpg towing my enclosed with ~2900 lb car/gear in my CS last weekend. Are you ditching the CS for the diesel?
No the Cayenne S stays. After all the answer to the question " How many Porsches do you need?" is one more than you currently have. The diesel is replacing my wife's BMW 328 sedan. The diesel has more room, better protection from all the large gravel trucks that go by on the way to the new oil fields AND it gets better mileage than her BMW. Plus it gives us a back up tow vehicle.

Dropped by the local ( well semi local) Porsche dealer to drop off a brake controller for the Diesel as the install is part of our deal. Hope that ship captain got my message to row faster.

Quick Reply: Towing to Parade