Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Problems - Bluespark content

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 03:15 PM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, 306/509 are the peak available numbers advertised on the BlueSpark website. You must have missed the map chart I uploaded a few months back. I used factory claims (240/406) and BlueSpark claims (306/509) to extrapolate BlueSpark max estimated hp & torque for all 10 maps. Unfortunately 306/509 is not available together. 306hp is estimated for Map9, but not max torque. The full 509 torque is only available in Map8. But fuel economy suffers slightly in both. The best combination of hp+torque+economy is Map7

//greg//
Old 07-01-2013, 03:16 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

Let's be clear: I'm not the Wonder Box Police. My only point is that this device adds a variable to the equation, that is not fully understood, or supported by Porsche. Software and firmware in today's engine management systems, including the various networks, is very complex. Adding the Wonder Box makes it even more complex. Porsche trained technicians peer down under the hood, see the Wonder Box, and wonder themselves, WT* is that? Can't blame them; they aren't trained in Wonder Box architecture, or how this may affect other systems.

Nothing on this Board is definitive, just opinions, based upon members expertise. Didn't think anyone here needed my approval to install the Wonder Box, but I'm A-OK with it. I do appreciate, however, that my CD w/o a Wonder Box starts every time I turn the key.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:21 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by grohgreg
This is what happens when you pipe up in a multiple-page thread, without reading the entire discussion first. Mine's been installed since December, and my CD has been in for warranty items and service 3 times since. Not only did I not remove it, I never even made an attempt to hide it. The service advisor is fully aware, and my warranty thus far has been fully honored

//greg//
You don't have to make excuses for yourself. I posted less than an hour after the OP and you chimed in days later. So I assume your warranty items were non-engine related? Magnuson-Moss works for you!
Old 07-01-2013, 03:45 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Actually, 306/509 are the peak available numbers advertised on the BlueSpark website. You must have missed the map chart I uploaded a few months back.
Nope, I remember it, but as I recall you didn't have their graph at the time (maybe I'm misremembering but I didn't think you'd seen their graph when I posted it on 6spd) If you look at the bottom of the page for our box they state "Tuning box performance figures are stated at the default settings".

I also did a rough extrapolation based on the graph they included with mine against the Porsche curves. Originally I thought I was way off as my numbers showed a peak of 527/331 on Map 9. After I noticed that blurb, however, I looked again at the Map 6 numbers I came up with and if you factor in the guessing at data point placement it's right at what they claim on their website. My 527/331 number is probably high until you add the same fudge factor that makes Map 6 get in line with their numbers. I'm guessing that's more in the 515/320 range (assuming I haven't screwed up the equations horribly). Only one of us finally doing some Dyno runs will answer the real gains conclusively though.

I think it's on page 3 of 6spd thread if you want to look at it and we can take this part of the discussion there rather than continuing to add more mud to an already muddy thread
Old 07-01-2013, 03:50 PM
grohgreg
Pro

TACH - I'm unclear why you believe an excuse should be either offered or needed. My warranty work should not factor into the equation. So let's be clear. This is the last tome im going to state that my Porsche dealer was fully informed of the BlueSpark installation back in January. No subsequent warranty repairs have ever been denied. Sure, some folks may have more hard-nosed service advisers than others. But given the track record of thousands of BlueSpark-equipped ROW Cayenne diesels - especially those who take advantage of CAP services - have the upper hand

//greg//
Old 07-01-2013, 03:55 PM
grohgreg
Pro

Originally Posted by gnat
Nope, I remember it, but as I recall you didn't have their graph at the time
Didn't need it. You misinterpret their advertising. 306/509 are the max figures the box can produce. Mx hp is 306 in Map9, max torque is 509 in Map8. You must extrapolate DOWN from there

//greg//
Old 07-01-2013, 04:06 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

the only important question is... was the bluespark worth the hassle? how much power could it actually add to make it worthwhile?
Old 07-01-2013, 05:16 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,565 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
the only important question is... was the bluespark worth the hassle? how much power could it actually add to make it worthwhile?
Up to you. I'd say yes.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:28 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rijowysock
It is for me (especially since I haven't had any hassle). I'd say it's akin to asking if the power bump between the CTT and CTTS is worth it, just with a much smaller price tag
Old 07-01-2013, 06:18 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by canon_mutant
Thanks, already talked to the sales manager who I actually know personally and he is "going to take care of it" tomorrow if I continue to get stonewalled.

Sadly, I never considered removing it because they had no reason to even pop the hood. I asked them to reset the TPMS fault so the system could relearn the new wheels. He either arc'd something, screwed up a reset, or a download, something to cause two other systems to crap out that were working perfectly when I pulled in.

Just hope whatever was screwed up is not bad enough to have to take the old Volvo to CO Saturday morning . . . waiting on parts.

And, BTW, I have to date loved this particular dealership so I am hopeful that we get it worked out. Just wanted to give fair warning that the BSP is capable of causing service grief that it really shouldn't.

Especially when the tech thinks it's a stereo amplifier apparently so powerful that it runs off the engine turbo charger . . . :-)
Canon - please update us on what happened once you return from CO. I was contemplating a blue spark system based on the extremely positive feedback from the small CD user crowd here but want to better understand what you learn (or have learned) from your Porsche service folks.

It would also be informative if Bluespark Automotive could offer some comments here re: any similar issues they know about on Cayenne's from their larger customer database. Or explain why their system would not expect this type of thing to happen. Not holding my breath on this one though ...
Old 07-01-2013, 07:58 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Look I just installed a Bluespark and I have no worries at all about it affecting electrical systems. In this situation, my opinion is that the Bluespark did not cause the issues.

Canon, I see you are new to these forums. To be honest, I cannot understand why you did not take the plastic wrapper off of your Bluespark module. Then you have another post with issues with your Bluespark at high temperatures. Something does not add up. Resetting your TPMS is easy to do, why go to the dealer. Almost seems that you are trying to smear Bluespark.

Sorry, something not right here.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:52 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

I think you might be reading too much into it and I don't see the value of bad mouthing the BSP since its not like there are threads talking about any of the other options (and there are a few) around here.

For me, the first thing I do with new tech is open it and see what is inside. So it seems silly to me to leave it in its shrink wrapped state, but I know many people are the plug it in and forget it type. So I think it would be a dumb mistake, but I've seen far worse in my time dealing with technology customers.

In this case he isn't blaming the BSP for the E&D issues, he just wanted confirmation for those of us that are more knowledgable that the Tech was indeed blowing smoke somewhere uncomfortable. Nothing wrong with asking for help when you don't know.

If anything you could take it as him bad mouthing his dealer, but I don't recall him saying which dealer he is talking about.

So I don't think there is any malice here. Just someone that knows they don't have all the answers and is trying to find what he needs.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:55 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,565 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat

So I don't think there is any malice here. Just someone that knows they don't have all the answers and is trying to find what he needs.
"He who knows not, and knows that he knows not, is a child, teach him."
Old 07-02-2013, 07:34 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Originally Posted by stronbl
It would also be informative if Bluespark Automotive could offer some comments
Hope you don't mind, but I'll take the liberty of responding on their behalf. BlueSpark is based in England, and had not entered the US-market until I purchased mine. From there it was simply word of mouth so to speak. When I next speak to them, I'll relay your suggestion. But keep in mind, they're a small company, yet must support worldwide sales. But in the end, I seriously doubt they have the manpower to monitor dozens of diesel forums worldwide - especially given that many of them aren't even in English.

//greg//
Old 07-02-2013, 09:49 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Hope you don't mind, but I'll take the liberty of responding on their behalf. BlueSpark is based in England, and had not entered the US-market until I purchased mine. From there it was simply word of mouth so to speak. When I next speak to them, I'll relay your suggestion. But keep in mind, they're a small company, yet must support worldwide sales. But in the end, I seriously doubt they have the manpower to monitor dozens of diesel forums worldwide - especially given that many of them aren't even in English.

//greg//
Greg - many thanks. I know from your posts that you have had several discussions with them so if you can convince them to comment directly here, more power to you. I've read everything on their website and between yourself and the other BSP users/experimenters here, believe they have an excellent product. It's just now that Canon has had this unfortunate, and hopefully unrelated incident, that I intend to modify my personal due diligence on their product prior to my purchasing decision.

Quick Reply: Electrical Problems - Bluespark content