Considering Selling For Q7 - Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 05:37 AM
carlos50
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Considering Selling For Q7 - Opinions

Hi all

Whilst I have really enjoyed the driving experience of my 2004 CTT 955 since buying in Nov last year the niggly issues are just too frustrating and I hate spending time at repair shops so I am thinking of selling up and getting a late 2007 Audi Q7 4.2 TDI (the fastest one they do bar the very rare and unrefined 6.0 model) and I just wanted to hear from those here who have had or considered the Q7 before I commit the ultimate sin and get a diesel.

The Q7 doesn't have the leather dash, turbo petrol engine and driving characteristics that I love about the CTT but its a lot more modern and I am hoping more reliable in terms of electrical gremlins etc but I just cant help think that a) it wont drive as well and b) its a diesel lol.

If purchased I am considering a remap to give it circa 360 BHP and 741 NM of torque which should reduce the acceleration gap between the two cars but I'm just not sure.

Any thoughts welcome? Its a UK car I am referring to, black with black, very nice specification (S Line for the UK) and a really nice example. Will it match up to the CTT for driving pleasure?

Thanks

Carl
Old 06-16-2013, 10:58 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Since you are talking UK cars, why not a used Cayenne Diesel? They've been over there for years already right?

As you mentioned already, it won't drive anything like you are used to. Its also a heavier vehicle (at least over here its longer and they stuck the 3rd row seat in it) so even after the remap it still won't be close to your TT.

Then there is you chief complaint, repairs. I don't know if they are better closer to their origin, but Audis aren't exactly known for being super reliable vehicles over here. Especially their water pumps... I have a friend that has a US Q7 TDI that can't wait until he can justify ditching it (still under warranty so he at least isn't paying for the problems).

As far as diesel vs petrol. I find it odd that Europe has so many diesel vehicles yet the car guys seem to hate them. Beyond the fuel economy there is a lot to like about a good oil burner (and as much as I dislike VW, the TDI is a good engine). I say embrace the oil
Old 06-16-2013, 02:42 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think car guys hate em because you can't wind them up. I personally find diesel torque makes the car feel like a beast.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:21 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know of any issues with the motor, but as far as other stuff like electronics, the Q7s have been less reliable than Cayennes in my experience (Audi/Porsche dealer tech).
Old 06-18-2013, 08:46 AM
carlos50
Instructor

Thanks for the comments guys, didn't realise the Q7 had issues.

The CTT drives like nothing else and its making it hard to want to swap out lol
Old 06-18-2013, 09:34 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Q7 is based on the first gen Cayenne / TReg platform. You'd be buying OLD technology. Plus it's a giant whale of a vehicle that drives nothing like the Porsche.

Bad direction to go.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:52 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

I bet the Lexus gx470/460 (land cruiser prado) is a reliable & competent vehicle/appliance.

Has something similar to pdcc and can be had with air ride, mark levinson 3rd row seat. Idk, fairly ugly but a tough and utilitarian truck.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:39 PM
rc2080
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove a GX470 before I got my Cayenne V6.. The ride with the air suspension is much smoother than the non-air suspension on the Cayenne (duh) and the V8 on the GX gives it pretty good oomph. Handles ok with their version of PDCC too, but feels much less stable than the Cayenne. You get way more space with the GX, but at the expense of not being able to fit into some underground parking lots. Mark Levinson sound system provides noticeably more detailed sound than the PCM+ speakers on the Cayenne.

And you get used to being ugly and oddly disproportionately taller than wide after a while :P I'm not sure what to think of the newer GX models though, they just look overly large like all the new line of Lexus/Toyota SUVs
Old 06-18-2013, 07:47 PM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Having driven in a CTT and owning a treg V8 you will not find any other SUV that will give you a chubby like the CTT... step down is right.... I am looking for the right CTT as we speak.....
Old 06-18-2013, 10:41 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 469 Posts

I ran into a guy at the dry cleaners today who had traded a Q7 and a Cayman for a new Cayenne GTS.

Just sayin'...
Old 06-19-2013, 12:08 AM
canon_mutant
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After owning a TDI Touareg and now the TDI Cayenne, I won't own anything else. TDI clean diesel, especially with a performance tune, is the PERFECT engine for this size of a vehicle. Unless you just flat need the Q7's room, I wouldn't do it. Certainly nothing wrong with a used Touareg TDI if price matters because I also know that my Cayenne is not worth the extra $20K USD I paid but, then again, I would not hesitate to get the Cayenne again either. And, BTW, after the performance tune, I am also getting 35mpg @ 70mph from US gallons. Try that in a CTT . . .
Old 06-19-2013, 12:45 AM
fincher
Racer

Agree. I am mainly interested in the Cayenne diesel for the interior and seats. I surely love my Touareg TDI.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:07 AM
gophaster
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My wife and I had a white 2007 Q7 and before that we had a black 2004 Touareg. We loved both of them, the Q7 even had a hitch that we would tow our 26ft boat without issues at all. They were both GREAT at being family, all-purpose vehicles!! Our 05 CTT now offers the same utility but there is absolutely no comparison when it comes to performance

Personally, unless you really need the extra row of seats I would stick to Cayenne. I will admit that having a six year old with lots of friends and cousins sometimes I miss the extra seats but when I step on the go pedal I snap back to reality!!

Quick Reply: Considering Selling For Q7 - Opinions