Sponsored by:

My 2010 PIG is a POS

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 04:29 PM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 4ocious
.......If not, and I encounter more breakdowns, I'm going to trade/sell it for another non-Porsche SUV.
You've got the best SUV already....you just bought a lemon.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:02 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole
Yes, much better to lose $50,000-$80,000 on depreciation than spend $0-$3k on misc maintenance items

This thread is honestly the type of thing that makes my laugh at "Porsche owners" 80% of the stuff on that list is just normal maintenance stuff that EVERY CAR on earth needs. Period. 10% is stuff that you chose to do. Seriously, way are things like clear turpentine signal lenses even on the list ? I'm surprised "car wash" isn't on your list! The last 10% of things are "recommended by an independent mechanic" that apparently likes your car and wants to buy his own some day! Having anyone look at your car that has the potential to profit from it is always a risky venture. Of course he found stuff that "needs" done
Originally Posted by Cole
I don't think anyone said it was an investment or anything other than a depreciating machine.

I personally (and I ran and sold a successful Financial Planning Business FWIW) don't think that buying new is an efficient use of the money spent. The only true real benefit is that of the prestige factor. Which is fine if that is what is important to you. However, people are flat out lying to themselves and people around them when they talk about being "problem free" of saving money with a warranty by buying new.

I purchased my CTT with about 50k on it, for very small fraction of the original cost. The service history shows that the original owner and Porsche were nice enough to take the time and money to correct any initial defects. I spent a few bucks on the others.

At this point I've driven it about 60k miles for about $80,0000 LESS than it cost the first owner to drive it the first 50k. To top this off, I still own it and can sell it for some portion of that amount. Meaning that my total cost of use per mile driven may end up at $0.10-$15 on the dollar of the original owners experience.

So if the value of owning it first (the prestige factor) is worth that much more to you then you got your money's worth. To me, personally, I'd rather put that money into actual investments, toys, or other things that bring joy to my world (I'm also pretty sure I can turn the $80k saved into more than the expense of the used car)
Well said.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:15 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by DJF1
Well said.
Except for the hilarious auto corrects I missed Thanks!
Old 06-10-2013, 03:41 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Poorly said.

A good deal of your time seems to be spent making global pejorative judgements about other people based on, of all things, at what point they bought their car. Further, the primary purpose for your financial belief set, which is not without value in itself, appears to be nothing more than giving your global pejorative judgements a voice under the guise of financial opinion. (To the detriment of the financial opinion itself... which is interesting).

Common technique of the judgmental, I suppose, but none the less deeply character flawed and fundamentally sad in educated adults.

I will leave you, suggestively, with a proverb from Luke, "Physician, heal thyself".
Old 06-10-2013, 04:01 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs down

I expected more from you. That is pretty poor form!

Injecting things I never said, or implied, so that you can toss out insults and make judgements instead of actually offering a productive counter aurguement!

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
Poorly said.

A good deal of your time seems to be spent making global pejorative judgements about other people based on, of all things, at what point they bought their car. Further, the primary purpose for your financial belief set, which is not without value in itself, appears to be nothing more than giving your global pejorative judgements a voice under the guise of financial opinion. (To the detriment of the financial opinion itself... which is interesting).

Common technique of the judgmental, I suppose, but none the less deeply character flawed and fundamentally sad in educated adults.

I will leave you, suggestively, with a proverb from Luke, "Physician, heal thyself".
Old 06-10-2013, 11:56 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
Poorly said.

A good deal of your time seems to be spent making global pejorative judgements about other people based on, of all things, at what point they bought their car.
Well.. hmm.. i guess that saying holds some salt: "a fool and their money are quickly separated."
Old 06-11-2013, 10:40 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 862 Likes on 474 Posts

I'll admit that prestige and exclusivity played in my purchase decision.

The two finalists when I was shopping were the Cayenne and the Ford Edge, based on looks and capacity. One of the big factors was that the Edge was way too common. I wanted a vehicle I didn't see ten times a day. When I bought it, it was very unusual for me to see a Porsche in a given week, let alone a Cayenne.

Plus, I wanted another Porsche in the garage (I had a 928 and a 951 a the time). I like being a Porsche guy. The fact that I bought a well-used 2005 V6 - and paid under $18k for it - notwithstanding. People see the badge and figure the car must have cost a fortune. I'm sure it did, for the first owner. And when I point out that I spent no more than I would have for any similar SUV, they're stunned.

At the risk of jinxing it (*knocking on wood*), my P!g - Finn - has around 110k on the clock. I put the last 30 of it on there myself. I had to replace part of the exhaust. Everything else I've done has been normal maintenance (oil, brakes, tires), elective surgery (Eibach springs, Curt hitch), or the result of something stupid (miscellaneous paint & dent removal).

I understand that when people pay a lot of money for a car, they want that car to be perfect. However, it doesn't matter if you're buying a Kia or a Bugatti, the simple fact is that cars are made up of thousands upon thousands of parts and no matter how good the engineering and manufacturing is, some percentage of those parts are going to fail. When you buy used, you have the understanding that more of those parts are likely to fail, but you also know that you paid significantly less for that privilege of driving that car. Certainly less than the cost of the likely repairs.

The inconvenience? That's part of the cost trade-off. If you want a low-cost, near-perfect SUV, you buy a Honda, not a used Porsche.

YMMV...
Old 06-11-2013, 11:01 AM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes....but he still bought a lemon.....
Old 06-11-2013, 11:26 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbuzuki
Yes....but he still bought a lemon.....
I've had an actual lemon by the legal definition. What he lists is no lemon. He just had some bad luck in that he picked up what he thought was a clean car that turned out to not be as clean as originally thought. It's not like we are talking about it leaving him stranded somewhere or needing a new engine or anything.

Sure it's annoying to pick up what you think is a good car and then run into such trouble so soon, but a lemon it is not.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:56 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
I'll admit that prestige and exclusivity played in my purchase decision. .

YMMV...
There is absolutely nothing prestigious or exclusive about a Cayenne, except for the badge.
Have you seen the production numbers?
Do you know why the Cayenne (and Panamera) were conceived and forced into production by Dr. W?

Mention Carrera GT, then you might be able to use the terms exclusive and prestige.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:05 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 862 Likes on 474 Posts

In a given week, it's likely that the only Cayenne I see is mine. Up here in the Poconos, P-Cars in general are rare beasts. I see more Boxsters than I do Cayennes.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:25 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

In a given week, it's likely that the only Cayenne I see is mine. Up here in the Poconos, P-Cars in general are rare beasts. I see more Boxsters than I do Cayennes.
Yes, and I've yet to see a Ford Focus at the North Pole, but that doesn't make it exclusive nor prestigious.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:56 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Yes, and I've yet to see a Ford Focus at the North Pole, but that doesn't make it exclusive nor prestigious.
Aha! I have found the location of the fortress of solitude! I have already dispatched my minions.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:12 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Divot
Aha! I have found the location of the fortress of solitude! I have already dispatched my minions.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:55 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here on a bad day I can be sitting in traffic and see another six or so P!Gs.

Quick Reply: My 2010 PIG is a POS