Sponsored by:

My 2010 PIG is a POS

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 09:42 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow that's a hell of a development. You cant blame that on Porsche though

If that is the case though, I'd say it explains some things as I'd guess such an owner was just in it for the flash rather than the love of the car. Likely they did the bare minimum at best to take care of it.

Still, just bad luck on this one all around
Old 06-08-2013, 09:52 AM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by klum1971
Thanks for sharing. This is why I'm always hesistant to buy any previously owned vehicle; no matter how well maintained. Just me tho I guess.
Yes, much better to lose $50,000-$80,000 on depreciation than spend $0-$3k on misc maintenance items

This thread is honestly the type of thing that makes my laugh at "Porsche owners" 80% of the stuff on that list is just normal maintenance stuff that EVERY CAR on earth needs. Period. 10% is stuff that you chose to do. Seriously, way are things like clear turpentine signal lenses even on the list ? I'm surprised "car wash" isn't on your list! The last 10% of things are "recommended by an independent mechanic" that apparently likes your car and wants to buy his own some day! Having anyone look at your car that has the potential to profit from it is always a risky venture. Of course he found stuff that "needs" done
Old 06-08-2013, 10:30 AM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 4ocious
Although I agree in part with the feedback I've received in response to this post let me be clear. Between 48 and 50K miles +/- the following items have either failed or required replacement. I don't normally keep vehicles very long so if this is normal for a 3-year old Cayenne I can hardly wait for the next 5K miles (if I still own it or it hasn't been seized. see comment later)

Cardan drive shaft
Thermostat
Oil Cooler
Horns
Passenger seat airbag sensors
Pano roof seal
Bose sub woofer

Did I mention I took it to Porsche just before my warranty expired to show them how my headlight covers were discolored and clouded in the interior and the trim on the steering wheel column was cracking and discoloring? I'm still waiting for their answer.

Yes, I also had a PPI performed by Porsche before I bought it but none of the items noted above were discovered. So much for the myth of a PPI.

To top this all this off, I received a call from DEA/IRS this week. Seems my GTS has a seizure warrant in effect because the former owner purchased it with drug money. Never saw this one coming and now I've got to deal with this too!

I stand by my earlier statement-
What I get out of this thread is that CARMAX is a POS.

Slice it, dice it, whirl it in the air this is a CARMAX story through and through.

In this case, the Cayenne is just the prop through which the story is told.

Notes to self: 1) Never buy a used car, 2) Never buy anything from CARMAX.

Thanks for that info.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:18 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Never buy a used car? So you'd rather lose 10's of thousands a year in depreciation?
Old 06-08-2013, 04:05 PM
Cole
Drifting

Wink

Originally Posted by endless_corners
Never buy a used car? So you'd rather lose 10's of thousands a year in depreciation?

Shhhh!!! Someone needs to throw their money away on the "prestige factor" of a new car so those of us real enthusiasts can enjoy these cars at a fraction of the price!
Old 06-08-2013, 04:10 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Originally Posted by endless_corners
I don't "lose" anything. I pay to get to drive it new and know every mile up to and past 100k miles.

IMHO, it's a depreciating machine not an investment.

If I did care about depreciation, then I'd buy an entry level Ford econobox... new... and be done with it.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:22 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Originally Posted by Cole
Shhhh!!! Someone needs to throw their money away on the "prestige factor" of a new car so those of us real enthusiasts can enjoy these cars at a fraction of the price!
A "prestige factor"?

It never occurred to me. But, now that you've suggested it and that I've thought about it for the first time, clearly I'd have to care about what other people think of me before it would matter.

Let me assure you, I don't.

Though I do wish you well on all of your money saving purchases.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:34 PM
Cole
Drifting

Wink

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
I don't "lose" anything. I pay to get to drive it new and know every mile up to and past 100k miles.

IMHO, it's a depreciating machine not an investment.

If I did care about depreciation, then I'd buy an entry level Ford econobox... new... and be done with it.
I don't think anyone said it was an investment or anything other than a depreciating machine.

I personally (and I ran and sold a successful Financial Planning Business FWIW) don't think that buying new is an efficient use of the money spent. The only true real benefit is that of the prestige factor. Which is fine if that is what is important to you. However, people are flat out lying to themselves and people around them when they talk about being "problem free" of saving money with a warranty by buying new.

I purchased my CTT with about 50k on it, for very small fraction of the original cost. The service history shows that the original owner and Porsche were nice enough to take the time and money to correct any initial defects. I spent a few bucks on the others.

At this point I've driven it about 60k miles for about $80,0000 LESS than it cost the first owner to drive it the first 50k. To top this off, I still own it and can sell it for some portion of that amount. Meaning that my total cost of use per mile driven may end up at $0.10-$15 on the dollar of the original owners experience.

So if the value of owning it first (the prestige factor) is worth that much more to you then you got your money's worth. To me, personally, I'd rather put that money into actual investments, toys, or other things that bring joy to my world (I'm also pretty sure I can turn the $80k saved into more than the expense of the used car)
Old 06-08-2013, 06:22 PM
Cole
Drifting

Wink

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
A "prestige factor"?

It never occurred to me. But, now that you've suggested it and that I've thought about it for the first time, clearly I'd have to care about what other people think of me before it would matter.

Let me assure you, I don't.

Though I do wish you well on all of your money saving purchases.

It doesn't have to be for other people it can be for your own self interest.

It's also not a theory I've made up on my own. I'm an Economist. More specifically my interest is in Behavioral Economics. There is a very high premium paid for brand new luxury brand cars. A premium that goes away as soon as they hit the secondary market. A premium that is not being paid on other non-premium brands, even new.

Which is a large factor in why premium brands depreciate so fast and so far. Not the only factor mind you. Obviously people have the fear of high repair costs, etc. But, even when protected by a warranty offering the same, or in some cases better protection then the new purchase people still aren't willing to pay the same premium to have an older version of a premium brand compared to new.

Just please quit lying to yourself that you are somehow saving money by purchasing a Porsche new. With the rare exception of a catastrophic, uninsured failure on a car you paid way too much for, you will always come out money ahead on a used one. Case and point, I could give mine to my neighbor kid as a gift and lose 3X less money on it than the first owner did on depreciation, and I've driven it further.

(and I don't think you could even have a failure large enough on one of these that is greater than the first 3 years of depreciation)
Old 06-08-2013, 07:41 PM
klum1971
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the end if the day, one should buy (new or used) whatever they feel like buying. I like what I purchased and that's all I care about. I don't necessarily look at it from a "dollars and sense" standpoint because I am lucky enough not to have to take those factors into consideration.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:50 PM
aero997c2s
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear you're unsatisfied with the pepper. were on our 4th cayenne including a v6, 11 hybrid, 08 GTS, and 13 GTS and I'm thinking of trading my raptor for a cayenne diesel. Only problem I've had is with the new GTS, where the sunshade for the pano roof gets jammed up. Other than that nothing but smiles, still amazes me how close to a car it feels.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:52 PM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by klum1971
At the end if the day, one should buy (new or used) whatever they feel like buying. I like what I purchased and that's all I care about. I don't necessarily look at it from a "dollars and sense" standpoint because I am lucky enough not to have to take those factors into consideration.

Absolutely! Each individual has to determine what something is "worth" to them and how they value that.

I just can't help but to point out the math behind some of the "myths" that are often tossed around about things like the "expense of buying used".

Unfortunately for many of us in a consumer based economy, marketing efforts have made what "feels" good and what financially makes sense not always mix. The extent that this really matters depends on the individual and their motives, goals and resources!
Old 06-09-2013, 01:46 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Thanks everyone for your comments, good and bad. Although I'm very concerned about the present and future reliability of my GTS I'm more upset over the fact that it's constantly in the shop (Porsche and indy) for repair. I did a lot of research (Web, Rennlist, 6-speed etc.) prior to purchasing my GTS that swayed me to believe that a used Cayenne was a reasonably good and reliable SUV. I knew in advance I would have to make a few repairs but I was okay with that because I wanted to establish my own maitenance baseline. But, what I've encountered to-date IMO is beyond normal and routine maintenance. Perhaps I did purchase a "lemon", I don't know, but I suspect it is. Thank G-D I also purchased an extended warranty which BTW I've never really been a fan of but now I'm a believer.

Hopefully the next maintenance round will "clear-up" my disapppointment and I can get back to enjoying my GTS. If not, and I encounter more breakdowns, I'm going to trade/sell it for another non-Porsche SUV.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:37 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Why is DEA going after your car, instead of just seizing the money you paid to the drug dealer?
Old 06-09-2013, 04:20 PM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by 4ocious
Thanks everyone for your comments, good and bad. Although I'm very concerned about the present and future reliability of my GTS I'm more upset over the fact that it's constantly in the shop (Porsche and indy) for repair. I did a lot of research (Web, Rennlist, 6-speed etc.) prior to purchasing my GTS that swayed me to believe that a used Cayenne was a reasonably good and reliable SUV. I knew in advance I would have to make a few repairs but I was okay with that because I wanted to establish my own maitenance baseline. But, what I've encountered to-date IMO is beyond normal and routine maintenance. Perhaps I did purchase a "lemon", I don't know, but I suspect it is. Thank G-D I also purchased an extended warranty which BTW I've never really been a fan of but now I'm a believer.

Hopefully the next maintenance round will "clear-up" my disapppointment and I can get back to enjoying my GTS. If not, and I encounter more breakdowns, I'm going to trade/sell it for another non-Porsche SUV.
YHGTBFKM! From your list this hasn't been a problem car at all! (go try Land Rover) Is this the first car you have ever owned? Changed the oil on?

Hell, half the maintenance items you listed were done and paid for by someone else! WTF?

Quick Reply: My 2010 PIG is a POS