Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2011 Cayenne S issues- should I bail or buy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 01:42 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

If the $30k difference (it's a range, it will obviously be more or less depending on your options) is in the cards for you, I'd second Greg's recommendation to take a look at a new Diesel. The low HP and high 0-60 numbers don't do it justice in it's stock configuration and for $350 and 15 minutes of your time the BlueSpark indeed makes it a whole new animal.

No PTV or 4 zone climate controls if either of those are "musts" for you though.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:42 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
having said all that $42k cpo seems reasonable. what was the MSRP $80's? thats 50% in 2.5 yrs!

Hard to find a 400hp Suv w/ the driving dynamics as the CS for that price. Prob can get a Tahoe or something but lets face it, it aint no Porsche.
Yeah - $82k new
Old 06-04-2013, 02:48 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
If the $30k difference (it's a range, it will obviously be more or less depending on your options) is in the cards for you, I'd second Greg's recommendation to take a look at a new Diesel. The low HP and high 0-60 numbers don't do it justice in it's stock configuration and for $350 and 15 minutes of your time the BlueSpark indeed makes it a whole new animal.

No PTV or 4 zone climate controls if either of those are "musts" for you though.
Don't need PTV or 4 zone climate, but my diesel spec was only $7k less than the CS I spec'd. Does that make sense? Same options on both. Does that make an argument for the diesel or the CS? Shame we aren't getting the V8d.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:09 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

im sure i will get chastised for this line of thinking but we know this SUV shares some of its design and parts w/ VW's Toureg. Nothing wrong w/ that. What interesting is just how much is shared. Just look under the car.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:42 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by scott40
Don't need PTV or 4 zone climate, but my diesel spec was only $7k less than the CS I spec'd. Does that make sense? Same options on both. Does that make an argument for the diesel or the CS? Shame we aren't getting the V8d.
At the base prices they are $10k apart so unless there is something standard on the S that you have to spec on the Diesel (I honestly have no idea as it's been a few months since I've really dug through the option lists) I would expect them to maintain that gap.

Yeah if they'd bring the CDS over that would seriously be a no brainer (I was already well beyond what I wanted to spend on a SUV, but I'd find another 10-15k for that beast).

Originally Posted by kosmo
im sure i will get chastised for this line of thinking but we know this SUV shares some of its design and parts w/ VW's Toureg. Nothing wrong w/ that. What interesting is just how much is shared. Just look under the car.
I'm not intending to chastise, but there is more to it than just the engine and frame. There is no doubt that the P!g is a Porsche to it's bones and you won't find that in either the VW or Audi. If the handling isn't a draw for you, then the VW is certainly worth looking at though.

My only real problem with the VW and Audi are their price points. On the VW to get the options I wanted puts me at the Executive line which comes in only $10k less than I paid for the CD and I (mostly) didn't get a bunch of stuff that I absolutely didn't want (20" wheels, pano roof, etc..). Ever since they released the siblings I've always questioned their pricing structure.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:49 PM
92C2Targa#119
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat

The diesel will most likely be less reliable then a Gas. All CATA engined vehicles are experiencing repeated emission component failure. Check your codes reguluarly and get it repaired under the 2 year emissions warranty.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:10 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,613 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally Posted by 92C2Targa#119
The diesel will most likely be less reliable then a Gas. All CATA engined vehicles are experiencing repeated emission component failure. Check your codes reguluarly and get it repaired under the 2 year emissions warranty.
8 years / 80k miles in the US.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:54 PM
92C2Targa#119
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
8 years / 80k miles in the US.

I suggest you read your waranty in more detail. I believe there is only three items covered under the 8 years / 80k miles: Catalytic Convertor, Electronic Emisssions ECU and OBD Controler. Everything else is at your cost, and a hefty cost.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:12 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,613 Likes on 1,623 Posts

I suggest you read your waranty in more detail. I believe there is only three items covered under the 8 years / 80k miles: Catalytic Convertor, Electronic Emisssions ECU and OBD Controler. Everything else is at your cost, and a hefty cost.
Any equipment required to pass an emissions test is covered by federal law.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:09 PM
92C2Targa#119
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Any equipment required to pass an emissions test is covered by federal law.
I wish that was the case. I have attached for reading enjoyment. You will find numerous items not covered after 2 years.
This stunned me when I started having problems with emission items. I have been paying for all my emission repairs since passing 2 years.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Emissions Document.pdf (138.8 KB, 101 views)
Old 06-10-2013, 03:44 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I wish that was the case. I have attached for reading enjoyment. You will find numerous items not covered after 2 years.
This stunned me when I started having problems with emission items. I have been paying for all my emission repairs since passing 2 years.
US vs Canada vs various EU countries....

apples - oranges - grapefruit - ambrosia
Old 06-11-2013, 04:01 AM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
US vs Canada vs various EU countries....

apples - oranges - grapefruit - ambrosia
Not quite sure what your point is here.

PCNA warranty covers "all adjustments, repairs and replacements necessary to ensure your car’s compliance with Environmental Protection Agency emission standards, and its continued compliance for the remainder of the warranty period (if properly maintained and used);" during the first 24,000 miles (2 years)

...and for the balance of the warranty to 80,000 miles (8 years) it covers only this: "adjust, repair, or replace the catalytic converter, Emission Control Unit, or On-Board Diagnostic System."

All this is in accordance with US Federal regulations and I believe Needsdecaf is from TX.

Quick Reply: My 2011 Cayenne S issues- should I bail or buy?