Sponsored by:

958: Odd cluster behavior

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 11:56 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 958: Odd cluster behavior

Last night my cluster did a very odd thing in my 2013 CD. All the gauges dropped to their off position momentarily and then returned to normal.

I was in the middle of making a turn when it did this so it was mostly caught in my peripheral vision and I didn't get the details. I can, however, say that the lighting in the dash did not go out and the MFD didn't blink. The only things I know for sure that were acting up was the physical gauges.

The car itself didn't act upside its not like it momentarily lost power. It was fine the rest of the way home, but that was only a half mile at that point.

I have two potentially relevant (though I doubt they are related) modifications. A hardwired radar detector that shares the fuse for the right headlight (no splices) and a tuner box that plugs in between the fuel rail and boost sensor (also no splices). These have both been in for awhile now though (about 1100 miles for the box) and this is the first time I've noticed it do this.

Anyone else see anything like this before?
Old 05-18-2013, 10:14 PM
JWLindsey
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately yes. My 2013 CD has been having an intermittent problem where the gauges will be completely dead for 10 seconds if I start it with the auto headlight switch on. When this happens the tach also twitches like mad at the bottom of the range and makes a fast clicking sound. The gauges would pop back to life if I turned the auto headlights off and if I started it without he lights on it was always fine. The headlight switch also has a weird buzz from time to time when the auto light switch was on so I brought it up with the dealer when I took the car in for the first 5k service. Tech plugged in a new light switch, wiggled some wires, and ran some diagnostics. Nothing popped up in the MFD or anywhere else so they called Porsche to see WTF to do. The order from PMNA was to order a new cluster from der Vaterland which won't be here for another week or so. Will report back once I hear back from the dealer if this cured the issue but we may be on the bleeding edge of a new glitch here. Dammit, the Smoked P!G was totally dreamy until now...
Old 05-19-2013, 10:53 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

At least it sounds like your issue is easily repeatable. Good luck with getting it fixed.

Mine hasn't had the auto light switch off since it picked it up and I don't happen to have any of your other symptoms. I'll keep an eye out for them though. Thanks.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:24 PM
JWLindsey
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the car back today. Drove it home from the dealer, parked it in the garage, turned it off and restarted, problem still there. Not sure where we go from here as they pinned out all the under dash wires from the cluster and lights looking for shorts and replaced the entire cluster. Back to the drawing board...

Quick Reply: 958: Odd cluster behavior