Sponsored by:

A/C blower fan malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 10:51 AM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default A/C blower fan malfunction

My 05 CS A/C blower fan has been working intermittently lately. I saw a posting online about removing the glove box to access the fan. They suggested cleaning and lubricating the fan as the first step of troubleshooting the problem.

Does anyone know of any pictures or instructions relating to this DIY procedure?

Thanks,
Sam
Old 04-29-2013, 11:05 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Here are some pix

http://gallery.rennlist.com/cayenneg...an-Replacement
Old 04-29-2013, 11:17 AM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mudman2
Thank you Mike, excellent pictures. I assume removing the glove box is pretty straight forward !?

Regards,
Sam
Old 04-29-2013, 11:27 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

I don't think I did, did it all underneath the glove box footwell cover panel. It was a while ago but the little side panel was a bit of an issue if my memory serves me right

Was not a hard job, a couple of the mounting screws were PIA
Old 04-29-2013, 11:42 AM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mudman2
I don't think I did, did it all underneath the glove box footwell cover panel. It was a while ago but the little side panel was a bit of an issue if my memory serves me right

Was not a hard job, a couple of the mounting screws were PIA
Ok Thank you, I'll give it a try.

Sam
Old 04-29-2013, 12:11 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 900 Posts

No need to remove the glove box.

I replaced my fan motor earlier this year. It's quite easy. The most difficult part is getting the new motor fully seated and secured. With a little patience, the whole project should take you well under an hour.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:55 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam CS 05
My 05 CS A/C blower fan has been working intermittently lately. I saw a posting online about removing the glove box to access the fan. They suggested cleaning and lubricating the fan as the first step of troubleshooting the problem.

Thanks,
Sam
These blower wear out -- think it's a bearing issue. You can try lubricating the fan, but more likely it's a unit replacement -- particularly if there's a squeal. Prior to the squeal, I heard a thumping sound, and the fan pulsing at different speeds -- like the blower was possessed. I bought a genuine Porsche replacement from Amazon for about $200; there may be better deals out there, but for my $200 I got convenience and next day delivery.

The replacement is not difficult, but there were a couple of PITA screws as mentioned above. Think they might have been Torx screws, but what ever they were, they were in awkward places. Took me an hour, but an hour well spent; problem solved.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:43 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by philg3
These blower wear out -- think it's a bearing issue. You can try lubricating the fan, but more likely it's a unit replacement -- particularly if there's a squeal. Prior to the squeal, I heard a thumping sound, and the fan pulsing at different speeds -- like the blower was possessed. I bought a genuine Porsche replacement from Amazon for about $200; there may be better deals out there, but for my $200 I got convenience and next day delivery.

The replacement is not difficult, but there were a couple of PITA screws as mentioned above. Think they might have been Torx screws, but what ever they were, they were in awkward places. Took me an hour, but an hour well spent; problem solved.
Thank you Philg3! I think mine has shown symptoms similar to what you've described. I found the part information.

The OEM part# 955 572 34201 retails for $216 + SH.

Regards,
Sam
Old 05-30-2013, 06:08 PM
GlenC
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by philg3

Well I had an issue with mine ('08 Cayenne S), especially when it went to full speed, getting into a hot car. There was a rapid noiise, then to the thumping sound and almost no air flow. Fortunately the rear blower was working... Took th blower out and blew out the dust and lubed the bearings and it seemed to work, but, only for a day or two... Today, I did it all over again, then tested is before reinstalling... Ran fine for about 10 seconds, then rapidly started to slow. It finally stopped and wouldn't run anymore. This time I suspected the brushes in the motor... Sure enough, one is almost gone and the commutator was extremely dirty... Managed to get a piece of sandpaper under one of the brushes and cleaned the commutator... tested and it seems to run flawlessly, easily starts and clearly can see the speed steps... I just hope it lasts a while and doesn't wear out the one brush. If is continues to work, I might just go back in and try to polish the commutator with much finer sandpaper. If I only knew if the blower wheel can safely be removed from the shaft..???

Glen
Old 05-30-2013, 11:49 PM
stormin48061
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

15 min job including replacing the filter. Took me longer to go to the store to get a 3/32" socket for the machine screws holding the fan in. Seriously, it's an easy job.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:27 AM
95e320cab
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just swapped mine out tonight. It took me about 45 minutes. I bought the blower from these guys. Under $110.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281052285574...84.m1497.l2649

You remove the panel under the glovebox by removing the T-20 Torx screw at the top of the panel between the bottom edge of the glove box and the top edge of the panel. You'll need a flashlight to find the screw, especially if the interior is black like mine.

Once that screw is removed, pull the front edge of the panel down. It is hinged at the rear with tabs that you just pull straight out of the slots the tabs slide into. I unplugged the light in the panel to swing it out of the way. Did not unplug the aux power plugs.

The blower has seven screws that hold it in place. Two are up higher in the dash and I used a 6" extension and a stubby ratchet to reach these two. I think it helps to examine the replacement part before you start unscrewing screws, or you might remove unnecessary screws. Removal is probably more difficult than reinstallation. One screw, the closest to the passenger door, is covered by wiring wrapped in insulation in about a 1.25 inch wad. You'll have to push that aside with the socket and extension. By the way, I used a 7/32 socket, forgetting that I had metric sockets that small. I don't remember which metric is the same size as 7/32.

Going back together, you'll know everything is lined up when the screws seat correctly. Again, examine the new part to see the channels that the housing slides into before you start ripping everything apart. Porsche electric plugs are a little weird to me. You don't just grab the tabs and squeeze and pull. Be careful and take your time figuring out the plugs or you'll bust the plastic. Once you've squeezed the correct little mini-tabs, the socket slides out very easily.

Don't forget to plug the new fan and the light back in before you replace the panel. Hope this helps save you a few bucks.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:57 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

I just did mine the other morning. Thanks for the info. I doubt I had 20 minutes in it from start to finish. I took me longer to find my Torx head bits than to do the job. This was like a 2 on a scale of 1 - 10.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:59 PM
Harvey Yancey
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just completed mine this evening ... great instructions!
Old 06-25-2014, 02:26 AM
GlenC
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never did mention my blower fix didn't work. The brushes were just too far gone for it to work... so $300 for a fan motor...
Many decades ago, one would be able to get replacement brushes... not anymore
Old 06-25-2014, 10:11 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Just an FYI, stay away from a Bilstein/Febi replacement. I ordered one thinking it would be a German or at least a European part but no, it was a Chinese part and one of the motor wires was actually sticking out far enough to be struck by the fan when it spun around. I returned it and went with one from the dealer.

Quick Reply: A/C blower fan malfunction