Sponsored by:

Towing with Cayenne diesel

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 10:29 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Towing with Cayenne diesel

I currently tow my enclosed trailex trailer with an 2011 Cayenne S and have no issues, great acceleration good cruise and easy to pass at highway speeds. This past week I had Cayenne diesel for several days while my car was in the shop. I was impressed with everything about is especially the mileage. So the question, how would it tow compared. To my "s".

As a note, the diesel got better mileage city and highway, even at 75 than my wife's BMW 328 I. I was impressed, and it is quieter than her BMW.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:01 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Considering it has more torque than your S, I would say at least comparably.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:18 PM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They're no less than comparable, as all 958 models are rated to tow 7700 pounds. Better if you ask me, because the higher torque at lower RPMs means towing the same weight in higher gears. I tow my tractor occasionally, which certainly matches - may even exceed- the tow rating. If it wasn't for the mirrors, I'd hardly even know it was behind me. Add that to significantly higher mpg overall, and I'd say the diesel makes the better towing choice. That said, I've never driven - much less towed with - a CS.

//greg//
Old 04-27-2013, 12:26 AM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I recently started towing my 997 in my 20' enclosed featherlite with my 2013 CD and it is very smooth. Granted the weight is only around 6000lbs fully loaded -- car plus gear -- but acceleration, handling, braking, etc from the CD is excellent. Mileage drops to around 18 - 20 mpg depending on my speed (I keep my speed betyween 60 -65 mph) and elevation/grade change. Before I bought the CD I tested the S and the GTS (no CTT) and although the GTS was very impressive, I felt the CD was on par with the S for my driving needs and desired price point. Torque and mpg sold me on the CD. So far after 4000 miles and several trips to the track, I am still very happy with my decision and the non-towing highway mileage in the CD is just stupid @ 30+mpg.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:18 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stronbl
I recently started towing my 997 in my 20' enclosed featherlite with my 2013 CD and it is very smooth. Granted the weight is only around 6000lbs fully loaded -- car plus gear -- but acceleration, handling, braking, etc from the CD is excellent. Mileage drops to around 18 - 20 mpg depending on my speed (I keep my speed betyween 60 -65 mph) and elevation/grade change. Before I bought the CD I tested the S and the GTS (no CTT) and although the GTS was very impressive, I felt the CD was on par with the S for my driving needs and desired price point. Torque and mpg sold me on the CD. So far after 4000 miles and several trips to the track, I am still very happy with my decision and the non-towing highway mileage in the CD is just stupid @ 30+mpg.
Did i read that correctly that you are getting 18-20 when towing 6000 lbs. On my Cayenne S my mileage drops to around 13 when toying just under 6000 lbs . Ordering a CD for my wife.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:32 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stronbl
What size wheels and tires did you get on your diesel?
Old 04-29-2013, 03:30 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
What size wheels and tires did you get on your diesel?
Yep. I get just a little better than half normal mpg while towing (normal non-towing hwy mpg is ~33), but it is highly dependent on load, terrain, and speed. The last few times I towed car and only a couple tires, jack, stands, a few tools so my load was lighter, maybe 5500lbs. I was towing through CA central valley which is pretty flat and kept speed around 60-65, managed 18 mpg hwy (I have not hit 20 mpg towing yet, but I believe I could if I kept my speed down another 5 mph). I have standard 18" all season tires. I'll be headed to Buttonwillow later in May and will test south on I-5 and compare the mileage to north I-5, there are a few more grades to climb going south. But so far, I am very pleased with the performance/towing/mileage of the CD.

By the way, my mpg numbers are internal CD calculations from the OBC - I know it is over estimating actual mpg by about 2-4 mpg if that helps to calibrate better.

Quick Reply: Towing with Cayenne diesel