Shiny Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 06:50 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Shiny Calipers

The rehab process continues for our recently acquired CS. There are a few more things to take care of, but right now I can say, fixing the wheels and brakes made a significant improvement to the process of making the truck ours.

I enlisted my wife to help out as she has far more patience when it comes to the more detailed painting on the brakes. The results look really great. VHT caliper paint and clear coat were used and the finish speaks for itself. Time will tell how it will hold up.

Also changed the pads to Centric Posi-Quiets. With the included new hardware, the brakes appear 'just like' new.

Prepped the tired silver painted caliper:

After the respray, new pads, hardware:
Rear:

Front:

Time to go bed in the new pads!

cheers,

Last edited by Travis; 04-26-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:23 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Travis
The rehab process continues for our recently acquired CS. There are a few more things to take care of, but right now I can say, fixing the wheels and brakes made a significant improvement to the process of making the truck ours.

I enlisted my wife to help out as she has far more patience when it comes to the more detailed painting on the brakes. The results look really great. VHT caliper paint and clear coat were used and the finish speaks for itself. Time will tell how it will hold up.

Also changed the pads to Centric Posi-Quiets. With the included new hardware, the brakes appear 'just like' new.

Prepped the tired silver painted caliper:

After the respray, new pads, hardware:
Rear:

Front:
https://plus.google.com/photos/10108...KXU3aGknr6wzwE

Time to go bed in the new pads!

cheers,
Wow! If for no other reason I to you. No way in hell mine would consider doing anything like that. I'm impressed.

Congrats!

BTW, the results are outstanding! Compliment your wife for me.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:24 AM
Orantes
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Really superb work Travis!
Old 04-27-2013, 12:41 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Great job! If it weren't for the overspray on the rotor, I'd swear that you took a picture of my calipers.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:56 AM
4x4
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a great job indeed! You didn't want to remove the calipers for repainting?
Old 08-18-2014, 09:36 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

very nice considering you didnt remove the calipers.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:11 AM
westy66
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They look great! You guys <smh> some people just gotta nitpick. you can see he covered the rotors. The paint will be gone before he gets to the end of the street. Or acetone works great to wipe off overspray.

where did you get the decals?
Old 08-18-2014, 10:37 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good job! And yes, the overspray on the rotor is a non-issue.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:31 PM
blackland
Burning Brakes

Received 437 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by westy66
They look great! You guys <smh> some people just gotta nitpick. you can see he covered the rotors. The paint will be gone before he gets to the end of the street. Or acetone works great to wipe off overspray.

where did you get the decals?
I have seen the decals for sale at Suncoast in the past.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:50 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Guys,

Not to worry, this CS has 160K on it, so it won't be attending any concours events anytime soon. No fear of people looking that closely at the calipers that I needed to consider taking the calipers off and painting them.

The decals are from a seller on eBay. His id is shaunj123. Price was $8.00 He's also able to adjust the size and font if you need specifics. I had him make my set a little larger for the front compared to the rear.

Here's what I have from my records:

3.5 X .25 (2) Rear
4.5 x .25 (2) Front

Like I mentioned in the other thread, the paint is holding up great, no issues with decals peeling under the clear coat. I've done another bleed session, rebuilt the driver front caliper (new dust seals and piston o-rings) and about 7K of miles, plenty of brake fluid all over them and no paint bubbling.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:12 PM
KWP1911
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 15 Posts

Awesome work. I may undertake this job this winter when I change to the winter tires.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:33 PM
Boeing 717

Received 263 Likes on 158 Posts

The rehab process continues for our recently acquired CS. There are a few more things to take care of, but right now I can say, fixing the wheels and brakes made a significant improvement to the process of making the truck ours. I enlisted my wife to help out as she has far more patience when it comes to the more detailed painting on the brakes. The results look really great. VHT caliper paint and clear coat were used and the finish speaks for itself. Time will tell how it will hold up. Also changed the pads to Centric Posi-Quiets. With the included new hardware, the brakes appear 'just like' new. Prepped the tired silver painted caliper: After the respray, new pads, hardware: Rear: Front: Time to go bed in the new pads! cheers,
That's great man. They must have improved that paint because I tried it a few years ago and it came out sort of brick red. Can you post the exact product??
Old 08-18-2014, 07:57 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yep, got them on Amazon.

VHT Caliper Paint Real Red VHT Caliper Paint Real Red

and the clear

VHT Gloss Clear VHT Gloss Clear

It was an easy project, just make sure you mask well cause that over spray could take more time to clean up! I had the car cover on the CS and only opened it enough to put paper around the work area.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:39 PM
Boeing 717

Received 263 Likes on 158 Posts

Yep, got them on Amazon. Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CPJLVC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and the clear Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CPJLV2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It was an easy project, just make sure you mask well cause that over spray could take more time to clean up! I had the car cover on the CS and only opened it enough to put paper around the work area.
Thanks Travis. I need to do this on our new Cayenne, but if I do it I will probably remove calipers.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:20 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

It will definitely help to take the overall job better if you take the calipers off.

Good luck Jerry, look forward to seeing your caliper project soon.

-travis

Quick Reply: Shiny Calipers