Sponsored by:

Porsche Lane Keep Assist (LKA)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 08:46 AM
Hud99
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Lane Keep Assist (LKA)

Anyone using this feature? What do you think? Lane change assist (LCA) is a no brainier and I will option it. But LKA? Any real life experience or observations on its use during long road trips?
Old 08-18-2014, 10:38 AM
Tex94
Instructor

Good question
Old 08-18-2014, 11:34 AM
McQueen993
Instructor

I don't have this option on my Cayenne, but I did have the option on a recent rental Mercedes in Germany. My opinion is that LKA is marginally more useful than dynamic cruise control, which means next to useless. My time on the autobahn was close to three+ hours a pop at times.

I agree that LCA is a keeper though.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:36 AM
m453w
Rennlist Member

Have the feature on my new Macan S. Have about 900 miles in use so far. Feature works well under most but not all conditions. Works best at highway speeds (50+ mph). Icon in the multifunction display changes to green when lane is recognized. At highway speeds and most curves with clear lane markings, the car will self steer. At lower speeds it will not correct fast enough. If lane markings are obscure or not present, it sounds a tone and provides a dash warning that it is no longer active. If a lane is wide with a lot of curves, there will be some hunting, meaning that the car will go from one side to the other and back again. The feature is best suited, IMO, for someone who drives a lot on highways. Overall, the technology is amazing and I would order the feature again.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:15 AM
loxxrider
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts

So what do you do when you have this and active cruise control on? Go to sleep?
Old 08-19-2014, 11:57 AM
Tex94
Instructor

Interesting, didn't realize that this actually steered the vehicle. I thought it was just a notification system. I may need to try that out. We are heading for a future of autopilot enabled cars.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:46 AM
m453w
Rennlist Member

It definitely applies steering correction. It was a bit eerie the first time I tried it. But you adapt to its function, display, and audible alerts quickly. You can't take your hands off the wheel and start texting. Yes, I do have the active cruise assist option with LKA but unless you are very trusting of software engineers, I'm not ready for the nap just yet. As mentioned, the features do have limitations but overall I find them valuable. I look at them as relatively cheap insurance over the total life of the car - if they save me one time from a stupid bit of distraction on my part, they have probably paid for themselves IMO.

Quick Reply: Porsche Lane Keep Assist (LKA)