Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Downgrading to "standard" leather?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 01:48 PM
Mugatu
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Downgrading to "standard" leather?

I'm somewhat new to Porsche, my Cayenne being the first one. I'm already thinking of pricing out a new 958 CTT or CTTS, but I want to go for a different look. Currently I have a Black ext, Espresso/Cognac interior. I wanted to do Silver ext, Black interior, but I'm worried about the quality difference since its "standard leather". I won't be able to get to the dealership for a few weeks, but is there a huge difference? My natural leather hasn't worn at all, its very impressive, very nice to the touch. I'm hoping the standard leather isn't as bad as BMWs I've had in the past. Thank you!
Old 04-22-2013, 05:01 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have the full leather package with ruffled seats the difference will be noticeable. Standard leather is perforated on the seats and I believe the dash and door are no longer made of leather. I have full leather on my 955 and have always thought the standard leather kinda low rent when I have seen it. But this is with 955/957's.. Maybe the 958 standard leather is nicer.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:22 PM
fincher
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do any of the seat options come with ruffled leather? What did I miss? From what I can tell, the seats are either partial leather (seating surface and seat back) or entirely leather. The 14-way and 18-way seats are the single best feature of the interior.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:32 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmm.. Must just be the last generation.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:44 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by fincher
Do any of the seat options come with ruffled leather? What did I miss? From what I can tell, the seats are either partial leather (seating surface and seat back) or entirely leather. The 14-way and 18-way seats are the single best feature of the interior.
No, it is an option.

The other options are "natural" leather in Espresso or Espresso / Congac. Both of those are full leather options.

The full leather represents leather on the dash, armrests, etc., not necessarily the seat back, etc.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:25 AM
fincher
Racer

Decaf, I understand that full leather includes the dash, etc. My comment/thought was the current generation does not have ruffled leather available on any trim.

I do believe that full leather also includes full leather on the seats, not just the seating surface itself.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:32 AM
Joseph O'Reilly
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Decaf, I understand that full leather includes the dash, etc. My comment/thought was the current generation does not have ruffled leather available on any trim.

I do believe that full leather also includes full leather on the seats, not just the seating surface itself.
for 958, i believe ruffled leather is an option on 14 way seats only. not sure the extended leather option changes how much leather is on the seats but it adds leather to the dash and, perhaps most noticable to owners, also to the doors.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:31 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know if this represents a sticking point, but I think anybody wanting the seat ventilation option has little choice but to accept perforated leather.

//greg//
Old 04-23-2013, 08:36 AM
fincher
Racer

Will check the konfigurator for ruffled seats.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:24 AM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 958 CTT with full leather and while pricing out some cars yesterday at the dealer played with a possibility of a "downgrade", which lasted all of 5 seconds. The difference is that obvious. My cognac/espresso is in pristine shape at 60k miles and for any future purchases there is no going back. Ever.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:25 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Got it.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:26 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
I have a 958 CTT with full leather and while pricing out some cars yesterday at the dealer played with a possibility of a "downgrade", which lasted all of 5 seconds. The difference is that obvious. My cognac/espresso is in pristine shape at 60k miles and for any future purchases there is no going back. Ever.
Are you talking the leather quality between the two or the amount of leather from partial to full?

Or both?
Old 04-23-2013, 10:27 AM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

As someone mentioned on another thread, ruffled seats are like sleeping on messed up sheets. I ordered this option on a 996, because I thought it looked cool on a demo. It was OK, but I'd never order again -- wasn't a plus for me. It was a $400 option back then -- 1999 (I was younger and more impressionable back then).
Old 04-23-2013, 10:41 AM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Are you talking the leather quality between the two or the amount of leather from partial to full?

Or both?
I was mainly talking quality. Jumps out visually first and then it's confirmed when you run your fingers over it.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:26 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by philg3
As someone mentioned on another thread, ruffled seats are like sleeping on messed up sheets. I ordered this option on a 996, because I thought it looked cool on a demo. It was OK, but I'd never order again -- wasn't a plus for me. It was a $400 option back then -- 1999 (I was younger and more impressionable back then).
We have the ruffled leather in our 996 and like it. Unfortunately after having it for 12 years I forgot that the stupid perforated leather was the default and by the time I realized it was too late on the CD.

I think "ruffled" is a bit of a bad misnomer (at least in the 996) as it is really more of a "not stretched taught" look/feel.

The only two issues we've had is the dash has bubbled and one of the rear seats ended up with an impression of a dive regulator in it. Otherwise 65k and 12 years of sitting unprotected outside and it still looks and feels great.

Except for the perforations I'm happy with the black partial leather interior of the CD. I'd have liked to do the full leather, but I'm not remotely disappointed in the quality of the materials so I'm not pining for it.

Now if I was spending the money on a GTS or TT(S) there is no way I wouldn't do full leather, but the black would be my default choice if there wasn't something I liked better available (currently I'd go for the red).

Quick Reply: Downgrading to "standard" leather?