Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 01:59 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,588 Likes on 1,608 Posts

Originally Posted by LaicepsYdobon
I stand corrected. Thanks...
Between the number of options and the confusing acronyms, it's a wonder anyone can keep it straight!
Old 04-23-2013, 07:50 PM
SUVp.cay
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the replies.
Grohgreg, the vibration must have been an anomoly. That's good news.
Needsdecaf, I agree with most of your post. I just can't get myself to like the ML interior and the seats were as you described.
Laiceceps, I would like to have both, cabin isolation and that sporty feel but I don't think that exists. Best I can do is get 18" wheels and insulated glass. Maybe the new Maserati suv will have both isolation and a sporty feel. To bad no dealer nearby and no diesel at launch.

For all you Cayenne owners for long highway drives:
1) the sportiness of the Cayenne does not cause driver fatigue?
2) the mild wind noise from the pano roof and the A pillar does not become a bit irritating? (I would order mine with insulated glass to cut down on road/wind noise) I would hate to lose the pano roof as it really opens up the cabin. No doubt, some wind noise eminates from it.

In a word, the Cayenne is fun to drive and puts a smile on my face, while the ML does not.
If I go with the Cayenne, I will likely wait for the facelifted 2015.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:45 PM
LaicepsYdobon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SUVp.cay
the sportiness of the Cayenne does not cause driver fatigue?
Not at all. Took numerous trips up to Vermont this past winter. Had the Cayenne in comfort for the highway and dropped it into normal for the twisty back roads. Very pleasant driving experience. Got out of the car fresh as a daisy.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:47 PM
SUVp.cay
Intermediate

I believe you have PASM with air suspension, correct? What size wheels do you have?
Old 04-23-2013, 11:30 PM
LaicepsYdobon
Intermediate

Yes I do have PASM with air suspension and I got the 19" Cayenne Turbo Wheels. Was afraid to get anything bigger because of the bad roads in NY/NJ.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:10 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,154 Likes on 469 Posts

I took my family to Florida for spring break, 3 kids. We drove down in the CD, was about 950 miles each way. Ride was comfortable, gas mileage superb. Seats are supportive and comfy, at least the 14 way seats. We took the CD with 20 inch Spyder wheels with only steel springs too, so I wouldnt be at all concerned about the comfort factor. If we would have taken my wifes with the PASM/air suspension it would have been even better.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:19 AM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SUVp.cay

For all you Cayenne owners for long highway drives:
1) the sportiness of the Cayenne does not cause driver fatigue?
2) the mild wind noise from the pano roof and the A pillar does not become a bit irritating? (I would order mine with insulated glass to cut down on road/wind noise) I would hate to lose the pano roof as it really opens up the cabin. No doubt, some wind noise eminates from it.

In a word, the Cayenne is fun to drive and puts a smile on my face, while the ML does not.
If I go with the Cayenne, I will likely wait for the facelifted 2015.
1) I had been driving one of two Cayennes in heavyish traffic, 270km every workday for 2-1/2 years, most relaxing car I have driven.

2) I don't get noise from the Pano roof on the GTS unless it's open.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:58 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,588 Likes on 1,608 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
I took my family to Florida for spring break, 3 kids. We drove down in the CD, was about 950 miles each way. Ride was comfortable, gas mileage superb. Seats are supportive and comfy, at least the 14 way seats. We took the CD with 20 inch Spyder wheels with only steel springs too, so I wouldnt be at all concerned about the comfort factor. If we would have taken my wifes with the PASM/air suspension it would have been even better.
Exactly the setup I ordered.

Living in Houston, we have some of the worst concrete roads I've seen. Far worse than what I have experienced in the northeast. But honestly, after two cars with active suspension, I am pretty tired of it. I get tired of switching modes and trying to find the sweet spot., which always seems to be in the middle. My BMW has active suspension and active anti roll bars similar to PASM and PDCC. I'm not a huge fan. Sure, it keeps the car flat, but the softer springs it runs makes the ride a bit wallowing.

I fully intended to have to buy a Cayenne with PASM and Air Suspension after I moved to Houston and experienced the roads. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the car works on the steel suspension and the 20" RS Spyders. I can tell you on an X5 35d, switching from the 19's to the 20's ruins the ride. Not so on the Cayenne (my wife decreed that 19's and below looked too small, lol).

So steel it was and not unhappy to save the $5k and worry about it going out down the road.

I should also say that I have an Acura MDX with the steel suspension and 18" wheels. The ride of the Cayenne on 20's and steel suspension is comparable. I have done many multi-hour trips in that car and ride was never an issue.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:06 PM
SUVp.cay
Intermediate

Your experiences on how relaxing and comfortable the CD is on long drives is reassuring. Thank you.

Interesting suspension comments. I live in New England and with the snowy winters I was going to get 18's for better winter traction. The 18's would also give a softer ride.

In light of the above posts, do you think there is not much ride quality/snow traction lost going from 18's to 19's on steel springs? Or because of snowy winters and my preferred softer ride... be on the safe side and stay with 18's? 18's certainly don't look as good as 19's.

Last edited by SUVp.cay; 04-24-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:26 AM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

I believe 18" are better in snow, and there is a larger choice of tires versus 19", plus they are less expensive. The Cayenne S wheel option is about $370, and looks better than the standard wheel. BTW, ride quality is good on 18". Still good control -- not bouncy.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:05 PM
SUVp.cay
Intermediate

Ok, thanks
Old 04-26-2013, 03:44 AM
Joseph O'Reilly
Instructor

Originally Posted by philg3
I believe 18" are better in snow, and there is a larger choice of tires versus 19", plus they are less expensive. The Cayenne S wheel option is about $370, and looks better than the standard wheel. BTW, ride quality is good on 18". Still good control -- not bouncy.
i agree with you on the S wheel, but got overruled by everybody (wife, dealer, friends, colleagues) so i downgraded on my S to the standard 18 and bought slightly used 19 turbos (just wheels, no tires yet) for summer. somehow 19 is a popular size here and finding tires at reasonable prices for the size is not an issue.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:53 AM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

You need to order the P95 interior sport package, sport seats are fantastic!
As much as I like my 958 GTS, I am truly enjoying the wifes 13" ML350, its a very refined and comfortable ride, much, much better than W164 it replaces.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:18 PM
SUVp.cay
Intermediate

I have never sat in the sport seats. Never tracked them down because I believe they only come in black. I don't really like an all black interior.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:53 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Joseph O'Reilly
i agree with you on the S wheel, but got overruled by everybody (wife, dealer, friends, colleagues) so i downgraded on my S to the standard 18 and bought slightly used 19 turbos (just wheels, no tires yet) for summer. somehow 19 is a popular size here and finding tires at reasonable prices for the size is not an issue.
This is so unfortunate that were overruled by everybody. I have two Cayennes -- one with the standard 18", and the newer one with the 18" S wheels. My wife wishes she had the S wheels on hers, along with the premium plus, in addition to the Bose. She also likes the beige interior / dark blue, and the diesel engine. BTW, took my CD up to Tahoe last week -- great ride -- 29MPG on the way there -- 250mi up to 7,000ft elevation, and 37MPG on return. Plenty of power; don't miss my Turbo at all. Really like LCA, will like it even more when I receive my updated Valentine next week that filters out false alarms from this feature. All's good in CD land.

As I recall Joe, you will be taking delivery soon with the larger diesel, that's unavailable in the US. Your CD+ should really fly. You should really be jazz'd right about now.

Quick Reply: All set to order an ML350 BT, then I test drove a Cayenne