Sponsored by:

[Video] Fifth Gear S22E08 - Cayenne Turbo vs ML63

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 07:06 PM
LaicepsYdobon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [Video] Fifth Gear S22E08 - Cayenne Turbo vs ML63

Loved the drift the Cayenne did on its out lap. Enjoy...

http://www.dpccars.com/car-videos-13...-Episode-8.htm
Old 04-10-2013, 08:19 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

The P truck is a little more tossable!
Old 04-10-2013, 08:46 PM
RAKLAW
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for sharing
Enjoyed it......CTT wins hands down in the looks department too
Old 04-10-2013, 10:40 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 948 Posts

Great video. The Cayenne drifting is awesome...
Old 04-11-2013, 01:29 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Loved it, thanks.

PS. That MB is uuuuglyyyyyy......
Old 04-11-2013, 05:11 PM
GTS 6 spd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Surprised the pepper was only 1 sec/ lap faster given in the 0-100-0 test it was catching up once moving, had better brakes and weighed 200 lbs less - perfect track combo. If it was a shorter track, sure, but at a distance that requires 1:50 a lap seems odd. Especially considering the nannies could not be turned off on the Merc. Perhaps the pro rally guy driving the pepper was allowing more wheel spin and losing time.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:36 AM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I reckon different drivers invalidates the comparison.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:08 AM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mcbit
I reckon different drivers invalidates the comparison.
Not really. The lap time itself was hardly the real point. Especially when these guys are timing it with a phone anyway.

Both drivers are very skilled but 1 second may or may not be a huge difference on that track. (the host Tiff Nedell is a former British Touring race car driver and is more than skilled enough for the comparison. Which, if you don't know that he seems like "just some host" on the show)

Also seemed much wetter for the Porsche.

Having a different driver didn't cause the "nanny state" actions of the AMG's safety features for instance.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:54 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole
Not really. The lap time itself was hardly the real point. Especially when these guys are timing it with a phone anyway.

Both drivers are very skilled but 1 second may or may not be a huge difference on that track. (the host Tiff Nedell is a former British Touring race car driver and is more than skilled enough for the comparison. Which, if you don't know that he seems like "just some host" on the show)

Having a different driver didn't cause the "nanny state" actions of the AMG's safety features for instance.
Looking at the driving style of the P Car driver, he was hooning it up quite a bit....which looks cool, but is slower than dirt. That car easily had another 2-3 seconds in it.

Porsche FTW.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:10 AM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Looking at the driving style of the P Car driver, he was hooning it up quite a bit....which looks cool, but is slower than dirt. That car easily had another 2-3 seconds in it.

Porsche FTW.
You're assuming that the actual video footage being used was of the actual lap. Makes for good TV. But who knows what the reality is.

They may have tried that drift 10 times before getting the take they wanted for the production.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:18 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cole

I'm fully aware of the history of both drivers but do not think that a difference of 1 sec in a 1:50 lap (despite opinion) clearly demonstrates than one car is quicker than the other particularly when driven by different drivers.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:23 PM
Cole
Drifting

I'm fully aware of the history of both drivers but do not think that a difference of 1 sec in a 1:50 lap (despite opinion) clearly demonstrates than one car is quicker than the other particularly when driven by different drivers.

Just pointing out that the WHOLE comparison wasn't *really* about which one is quicker. If they were out to prove just that fact they would have used the same driver, same tires, an official timing device other than a cell phone, etc.

The "lap time" was just a fun way to show the difference on how both vehicles behaved on the track. The time itself isn't very relative.

A great driver can beat a crappy driver even in a crappy car. We all know that. Even two great drivers exchange 1-2 spots all the time in identical cars.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:05 PM
mcbit
Drifting

I think you just confirmed my first post, I wasn't referring to the whole video but to the previous poster's comments abou the lap times.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:29 PM
Cole
Drifting

I think you just confirmed my first post, I wasn't referring to the whole video but to the previous poster's comments abou the lap times.
I was the previous poster and you quoted me!?
Old 08-08-2020, 09:54 PM
fstr n u
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I can tell the secondary cat bypass pipes are installed...are they Hanksville resonated? Which exhaust are you running an SR1 or SR2?

Quick Reply: [Video] Fifth Gear S22E08 - Cayenne Turbo vs ML63