Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back up camera - add on - 2013 Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013 | 09:52 AM
CleanLivin
2nd Gear

Default Back up camera - add on - 2013 Cayenne

A week ago today we purchased our 4th Porsche. This time we left the 911S world and bought a new 2013 Cayenne diesel. During our demo ride, when I put the vehicle in reverse, I asked our salesman about why the back up camera did not come on. He said "it was not activated, and I don't know how to do that right now".

OK I figured, let's get on with the test drive.

Great test drive and we bought the car.

Next day at home, Sunday, it dawned on me that I forgot to ask how to activate the camera. On reading the manual I learned the salesmen was totally uninformed about the back up camera. I checked the rear of the car, no camera mounted there!

On Monday I went back to the dealership and asked about the camera. Was told that the car we bought was not equipped with it and that a factory unit could not be added by the dealership. The manager apologized for the salesman's lack of knowledge and said they would see what aftermarket cameras could be added, at their expense.

That seems to be an honorable solution BUT what they have come up with so far is adding an aftermarket screen to the dash mounted on a post. NOT what I want to see on the dash of a $73,000+ car!

Question: Has anyone found a way to add factory or aftermarket backup camera to the Porsche PCM module so it will display on the dash screen when the vehicle is put into reverse?

Thanks,
Jack
Old 04-06-2013 | 10:08 AM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

You can hack almost anything to display on the PCM screen, will let somebody chime in who has actually done it, but Porsche may not consider that "proper".

Another alternative is rear view mirror backup screen. Would not even notice, when not displaying.
Old 04-06-2013 | 04:19 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Wow, guess that sales guy won't nominated for salesman of the year at the dealership.

NavTV sells a solution that seems just as good as factory, but I don't have any experience outside of reading these forums and their site. My local P dealership has heard of them as well. I thought about it and passed, don't miss it on my '11 at all.

Quick Reply: Back up camera - add on - 2013 Cayenne