Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Introducing Mis Pepper

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 11:10 PM
e36bmer
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While trying to race a Roush F-150, I had this strange bumping sound coming from under the center console. Sounded like a tiny man in there, hitting it with a hammer. So, looks like a few maintenance mods are in order....

Replaced the bushing on the cardan shaft with the Drive Shaft Clamping Center Support by EPS. It was super easy to install and has been working fine for 10k miles since.

The some fluids are due for a change. I decided to go ahead and change everything. I got redline everything, 5w50 motor oil, ATF, diffs and transfer case.

The transmission fluid was dark, but didn't look terrible for 100k miles.

I just thought this looked cool

I couldn't get to the front diff without cutting down my allen key. Is it dangerous to cut with sparks heading to my shoe? maybe, but it's probably more dangerous to take a picture while doing it...

A little refill. Why are those redline tops so small? I had a hard time finding a pump to fit in there.

Next, my buddy told me that while driving behind me my front wheels were doing weird stuff. I figured I would take that as the control arm bushings being bad.... and they were

One of the bolts was seized in there. No amount of hammering, PB blaster or torching could get it off. A reciprocating saw took good care of it though. Now, this was the worst part. I didn't order new bolts when I got the control arms. So, I ordered some new bolts and nuts from ECS, paid for over night shipping ($$$), and even though they had them listed as "Ships in 1-3 days" I got them 2 weeks later. So, 2 weeks without a car isn't fun. I'd recommend anyone ready to replace the arms to go ahead and get 4 new bolts, washers and nuts for the arms.

Finally in there!

This looks like it'll fit in there nicely

I really couldn't see much of a difference in these two parts. Really? $800. I hope it does something. The main difference I can see is that the IPD plenum is more Y shaped than T shaped. See how you can see through to the other side on the OEM plenum?

And yet, you can't really on the IPD plenum

Oh, those intakes? Gotta come off!

I ordered a whole goodie bag full of things from Leistung, the intakes being one of them. It looks like I got 2 passenger side shields.

A little kicking against my garage door got it turned around

These old things? Out! (Actually, these stock Diverter valves are pretty good, I think they are the Bosch 110 valves)

But, I want it louder, and while I'm here, some Forge DVs are going on there. The passenger side was a breeze... I can't say so about the driver side, that was a total PITA

Oh, so... I want to paint the housings black. Here we go!

I hope I didn't ruin these, haha.

Take this guy off

Put some tape on

Paint, and put back together

I tried out some clear lenses... but even though I ordered the correct size in thickness, the diameter was slightly off and I couldn't get it seated correctly. So, I made a little ring to hold them. Still, the spread pattern suffered. So, I ended up taking them back out. I'd just like to share my experience and wasted $35

Oh, and I installed something else....

Old 04-10-2013, 12:30 AM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Art photography, while wrenching ...

Nice!
Old 04-10-2013, 10:17 AM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Methanol? Very nice work.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:31 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice pics and updates. Notice any difference with the new plenum?
Old 04-11-2013, 07:27 PM
williamr91
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He has meth injection! now this is a company car
Old 04-11-2013, 08:27 PM
e36bmer
Track Day

Originally Posted by 1pcarnut
Nice pics and updates. Notice any difference with the new plenum?
Honestly, I didn't notice much of a difference with the Plenum. Maybe... maybe it feels a little more open in higher RPMs. But, it's hard to tell, really. I'm sure it does help, but to feel 20-30hp in a 6klb car is tough. I really think that once my exhaust goes on, it'll really be nice. I should have all the intake tract open and flowing smoothly, right now the exhaust is just plugged.
Dual 3" Turbo back should open her up real nice.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:30 PM
e36bmer
Track Day

Originally Posted by williamr91
He has meth injection! now this is a company car
Haha, yeah. I actually had a meeting today with some customers just before lunch. So, I told them I'd take them to lunch. All 3 of them had some comment to make. "OH, man, you must have been in the field for a few years to afford that" (little does he know it cost probably less than half what he paid for his F150, I paid 19k for this), "I can't let my wife see me in this, she'll want one" (I'm not sure if that one bothers me....)
Old 04-12-2013, 03:55 AM
stormy69
Intermediate

great writups, i bought my 06 tts without ever having driven a cayenne as well, that was about 200 miles ago lol. would have loved the pano roof but preferred the turbo s over the roof

this is the first i have seen of that center bearing support, has it held up well? i dont have nay issues with mine (yet) but like to plan ahead.

My LM parts were shipped today, been waiting for a couple of weeks:/ its driving me crazy. i bought exhaust and intakes as my first mods...
Old 04-12-2013, 11:01 AM
e36bmer
Track Day

Originally Posted by stormy69
great writups, i bought my 06 tts without ever having driven a cayenne as well, that was about 200 miles ago lol. would have loved the pano roof but preferred the turbo s over the roof

this is the first i have seen of that center bearing support, has it held up well? i dont have nay issues with mine (yet) but like to plan ahead.

My LM parts were shipped today, been waiting for a couple of weeks:/ its driving me crazy. i bought exhaust and intakes as my first mods...
The bearing support has been working well for 9k miles so far. I'd recommend it, if you start having a problem with yours. Just looking at it, it seems like a good design. Plus, if it ever were to break, you could easily take it out and swap out one of those supports (I think it has a lifetime warranty).
Old 04-12-2013, 01:45 PM
Porsche 25th
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Great thread, thanks for posting. Welcome to the P!g pen.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:06 AM
StabMe
Intermediate

Very nice write-up, thanks for sharing!

Stumbled upon this thread while searching the net on experiences of water/methanol injection kits used on Cayennes. Surprisingly, the thread is very fresh, so i'll jump in into the discussion

Can you elaborate more on what it did you use for water/meth injection? Or, considering you knack of doing the DIY, did you build your own kit?

I have 2008 CTT and was considering installing water/meth injection kit, since the amount of power gain per every dollar spent looks very nice. Actually, it is 2007 one bought in europe, but i learned the hard way that saying 2007 Cayenne on this forum means having a bad taste of humor). But i digress.

The car has removed (emptied) catalytic converters and an ECU tune. I was wondering if further ECU tuning is necessary to get all the benefits from water injection on Cayennes (ignition timing, etc)? Or will the car automatically adapt to the air:fuel mixture that we get when using WI?
Old 04-14-2013, 11:55 PM
e36bmer
Track Day

Originally Posted by StabMe
Very nice write-up, thanks for sharing!

Stumbled upon this thread while searching the net on experiences of water/methanol injection kits used on Cayennes. Surprisingly, the thread is very fresh, so i'll jump in into the discussion

Can you elaborate more on what it did you use for water/meth injection? Or, considering you knack of doing the DIY, did you build your own kit?

I have 2008 CTT and was considering installing water/meth injection kit, since the amount of power gain per every dollar spent looks very nice. Actually, it is 2007 one bought in europe, but i learned the hard way that saying 2007 Cayenne on this forum means having a bad taste of humor). But i digress.

The car has removed (emptied) catalytic converters and an ECU tune. I was wondering if further ECU tuning is necessary to get all the benefits from water injection on Cayennes (ignition timing, etc)? Or will the car automatically adapt to the air:fuel mixture that we get when using WI?
I am using a Snow Performance Stage 3 MPG MAX kit. I liked that it has 2 nozzles and I can tune it to be progressive using the included controller. I have pieced together my own kits before, but I found this kit on a good sale at THMotorsports.com and was able to add a coupon code on top of that, so the price was so low, I couldn't pass it up.

I used the OEM washer fluid reservoir. I could have sworn I took pictures of the process, but I can't seem to find them. I basically just drilled a hole in the bottom of the OEM reservoir, then ran the lines to the pump (which is where the passenger side intake was). Then, tap the two spots on the intake plenum. Finally, run wires through the access near the top of the passenger side firewall, used the switched power from an empty spot in the passenger side fuse box and it was all a pretty easy install.

Right now I'm really not spraying much of the meth. It probably gives me a few HPs from cooling the air, since it gets so hot here mid-day. You will really see the gains when you are tuned for the methanol spray. I am just still waiting on a few mods before I go to get my tune done.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:08 AM
StabMe
Intermediate

I am still deciding which kit to go with. Some premium kits by Aquamist offer an ability to adjust the flow based on injection duty cycle rather than on RPMs/MAF sensor data, which seems to be more accurate.

As for the ECU tuning - yeah, i hear that to fully take advantage of water/meth, one needs to tune the ECU.

Now, do we need two fuel maps: one for when water/meth kit is on and the other one when it is off?

Here one can purchase ECU tune for our cars, that claims to deliver (among other features) the following:

"Our software accommodates 91-100 octane automatically (adjusts timing and knock sensors all the way up to 100 Octane), no need for a several expensive octane files."

Now, aside from lowering IATs, water/meth drastically increases octane number. Does it mean that having this kind of an ECU tune would eliminate the need for a custom tune for a water/meth kit? So, whichever octane fuel we fill the tank with (or add some water/meth to the mix), ECU automatically adjusts to it. Sounds kinda neat, but is it possible?

Another question that bothers me in regards with water/meth is what happens when the kit suddenly stops delivering the mixture? This may happen for whatever reason: failure to refill the reservoir, or technical failure of the kit itself. Most modern kits offer failsafe tactics - an ability to automatically switch to a different fuel map. Can this be done with our car? From what i understand, the way it works is when the kit's controller sees the failure, it simply sends an adjustable electrical signal that should be routed to ECU, and this signal would mean "Change the map immediately!". As far as i know, our cars do not have an ability to recognize this kind of signal from stock and must be programmed for this to work properly. Opinions?
Old 04-17-2013, 11:22 AM
david_alford
Racer

Great stuff!

How's the air suspension doing? I'm trying to decide whether to buy an S without it or a Turbo.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:28 PM
stormy69
Intermediate

Originally Posted by e36bmer
The bearing support has been working well for 9k miles so far. I'd recommend it, if you start having a problem with yours. Just looking at it, it seems like a good design. Plus, if it ever were to break, you could easily take it out and swap out one of those supports (I think it has a lifetime warranty).
who sells it? Mine is fine but we all know they fail, figured i might as well get it out of the way...

Quick Reply: Introducing Mis Pepper