Opti-Coat

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 10:24 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,587 Likes on 1,607 Posts
Default Opti-Coat

Did a search, didn't see any threads on it. Anyone have it done to their Cayenne? I've found an installer in Houston who, judging by his work and products, knows a thing or two about paint correction. I'm thinking of having the car paint corrected and Opti-Coat applied right after it's delivered.

Is it worth it? This will be my first summer here in TX and I'd like to hope that it would help with bugs, road crap, etc. I'm not super fond of the PPF, as I've seen it get knicked up, cloudy, show a line, etc.

I'm a family man, so I can't afford a ton of time to clean the car, but I do do it right, have good products, a DA Polisher, etc., so I do take good care of our cars. Well, as well as you can with two kids 6 and under.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 03-31-2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:26 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess I shouldn't be a lazy f_ck and just google it but... what is Opti-coat?
Old 04-01-2013, 01:29 AM
Techart_Dreamer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had it done on my Merc, and absolutely loved it. If you have a full correction done on the car, then throw the Opti-Coat on, it just gives that work so much more longevity. It also gives you more forgiveness with your washing.

I wouldn't think twice.

-Markus-
Old 04-01-2013, 02:13 AM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I believe those processes are intended for and most beneficial on lesser finishes than Porsche's. Can the applier show you a treated Porsche? Is yours showing swirls or other aging?
Old 04-01-2013, 03:12 AM
Techart_Dreamer
Advanced

Originally Posted by DWC in Sedona
I believe those processes are intended for and most beneficial on lesser finishes than Porsche's. Can the applier show you a treated Porsche? Is yours showing swirls or other aging?
That'll be the first time I've heard that.

Member SToronto...

https://rennlist.com/forums/concours...opti-coat.html

458 and 991S...

http://www.autopia.org/forum/click-b...carrera-s.html
Old 04-01-2013, 02:33 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Techart_Dreamer
That'll be the first time I've heard that.

Member SToronto...

https://rennlist.com/forums/concours...opti-coat.html

458 and 991S...

http://www.autopia.org/forum/click-b...carrera-s.html
Well, there's a first for everything The OP says nothing about his Cayenne's age or the condition of the finish. "Correcting" is serious polishing and removes finish thickness. IMO, that's to be done only if needed. I've seen a number of high end cars with premature finish break-down from over-enthusiasm with a buffing wheel.

The coating is a choice. I personally think its hard to improve on a Porsche finish and would be concerned about its durability 10 years out.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:58 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Well, there's a first for everything The OP says nothing about his Cayenne's age or the condition of the finish. "Correcting" is serious polishing and removes finish thickness. IMO, that's to be done only if needed. I've seen a number of high end cars with premature finish break-down from over-enthusiasm with a buffing wheel.

The coating is a choice. I personally think its hard to improve on a Porsche finish and would be concerned about its durability 10 years out.
It will be on a new vehicle.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:14 PM
Techart_Dreamer
Advanced

I fully agree there is only so much "full correction" that can be done to a car, but I guarantee, that car, coming straight from the dealer, is scratched, and marred. I don't know how many times I've got text messages from a good friend of mine, who is a pro here in Socal, and he's at a Porsche or Ferrari dealer, doing a new car prep. The pictures would blow people away. 250k+, and the damage is unreal.

The car doesn't need a full correction, but a correction is definitely needed before the opti-coat is applied. The OC job isn't to necessarily improve the finish, but to add longevity to it, especially if the car will be driven often. It's 2microns thick, so you're adding some extra muscle to your already existing clear coat.

It's all a matter of choice.

-Markus-
Old 04-01-2013, 08:01 PM
shldrdoc993
Advanced

Default opti coat

I agree with everything above. I just had Rick Nelson of Unique Car Care in Wakefield ma " correct" my 9k mile black pana GTS to absolutely perfect finish. This car along with my cayenne S came shinny and new but scratched and swirled, and halos everywhere.

He just removed my dealer installed autobahn clear bra, prepped entire car to better than new. He wrapped entire front end with new X Pel ultimate then placed a coat of opti coat. It looks amazing!!! He will soon post the pics of my car on his web site.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:08 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I apply Opti Coat, actually the pro version, to about 10 Porsche's a year at my company. It is an amazing product and I highly recommend it. Just remember, it is scratch and swirl resistant not proof. A good wash and dry regime is paramount. Although you will not need to wax your car for years, a good clay bar treatment once a year is needed to refresh it. The coating will hold contaminants just like paint.

You will love the low maintenance of the coating. If you enjoy waxing your car then forgo Opti Coat...wax won't bond to it.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:10 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gator996
I apply Opti Coat, actually the pro version, to about 10 Porsche's a year at my company. It is an amazing product and I highly recommend it. Just remember, it is scratch and swirl resistant not proof. A good wash and dry regime is paramount. Although you will not need to wax your car for years, a good clay bar treatment once a year is needed to refresh it. The coating will hold contaminants just like paint.

You will love the low maintenance of the coating. If you enjoy waxing your car then forgo Opti Coat...wax won't bond to it.
I wash using a foam gun and a rinse bucket with grit guard. Clay is no problem, I can usually do the car in under an hour and enjoy it. Polishing and waxing...not so much.

What do you do to keep shine after the coating is applied?
Old 04-01-2013, 09:17 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I use Car Pro Reload to boost the shine. I mist the car right after washing with it and then dry. It's a bit overkill after each wash as Reload by itself will last months. Adding some lubricity while you dry is always a good thing. Of course, blow drying is a good practice as well. Any spray sealant from Optimum will work very well. They make sure that there products play well together.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:42 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gator996
I use Car Pro Reload to boost the shine. I mist the car right after washing with it and then dry. It's a bit overkill after each wash as Reload by itself will last months. Adding some lubricity while you dry is always a good thing. Of course, blow drying is a good practice as well. Any spray sealant from Optimum will work very well. They make sure that there products play well together.
I use Ultima Waterless Wash when I dry, also try to blow dry but right now I'm having driveway concrete issues so I have too much dust to blow dry.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:57 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Has anyone had experience with XPel? How durable has it been? How has the "seam" looked? How has it aged?

Thanks!
Old 04-07-2013, 09:55 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I don't have anything yet, contemplating it for my new car purchase.

Quick Reply: Opti-Coat