Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overall Reliability of Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 01:24 AM
08CTT-Utah
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Purchased my 08CTT in March 2015 with 35k miles. Have been adding 1 QT of 0W-40 every 1000 miles. No drips, just burning through it. At 43k now.
Last night while driving up a canyon had a catastrophic coolant blowout, it all pours out the rear of engine somewhere. So...looking at others costs I am looking at >$2500 bill plus potential other damages (starter motor, transmission seals, etc) some have stated >$5000. Not exactly happy.
Oh yea, and the computer lies about MPG, it states 16, I am lucky if I get 14.

Last edited by 08CTT-Utah; 08-30-2015 at 01:28 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 08-31-2015, 12:55 PM
ericstaup
Advanced

Wink

Bought my 2004 with 73,000 on the clock and now have 130,000.
I took it in to an Indy mech before purchase. Let me say that again...

Inspection revealed that there was an engine light on which was a secondary air pump code. This pump is only on for a few minutes on cold startup. Decided to ignore it.
The front coolant pipes had been replaced, the drive shafts where all new and the only issue found was a tiny leak on the valve cover gaskets.
Since purchase I have had a coolant pipe behind the firewall break and required a flatbed trip. Indy charged $1200 to replace everything behind firewall.
Had driveshaft mount replaced Indy charge -$200
At about 100,000 I had the valve cover gaskets replace because they were leaking enough to smell burning oil - Indy charge $600
Recently had fuel pump go out but thanks to this forum just pulled the fuse for main pump and drove home. Indy Replaced both pumps $1080
Had the coolant reservoir croak and Indy charged $400( too much but I didn't have the time)
I think I need new control arms now but plan to do this myself.
Brakes always done by me not hard and not expensive
So far so good and no complaints.
Eric
Old 08-31-2015, 06:10 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by 08CTT-Utah
Purchased my 08CTT in March 2015 with 35k miles. Have been adding 1 QT of 0W-40 every 1000 miles. No drips, just burning through it. At 43k now.
Last night while driving up a canyon had a catastrophic coolant blowout, it all pours out the rear of engine somewhere. So...looking at others costs I am looking at >$2500 bill plus potential other damages (starter motor, transmission seals, etc) some have stated >$5000. Not exactly happy.
Oh yea, and the computer lies about MPG, it states 16, I am lucky if I get 14.
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. This problem is well documented as are the various methods (none easy) for a fix. Search under "coolant manifold."

Cheers,
TomF
Old 09-02-2015, 01:52 PM
ygmen313
Intermediate

My 09 base cayenne has 70k on it and purchased in 11 with under 20k on it. other than drive shaft, went out at 62k, its been great. the one problem is that with all wheel drive, rotate your tires every 5-6000. I am soon to buy the 4th set for this car. Dealer put on a new set when i purchased and this will be my second set.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:58 PM
Joe Campanella
1st Gear

Default Common repair issues with the Porsche Cayenne

In general, the Porsche Cayenne is a reliable SUV, but repair issues have been reported to crop up from time to time. From our research, here are the most common: https://www.carchex.com/research-cen...pair-problems/
Old 05-02-2016, 07:37 PM
Turboslut
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Any "common" issues on the 2011+ models yet?
Old 05-02-2016, 07:40 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Turboslut
So far the biggest issue I see is that its *common* for those to be too expensive, but not enough better, for me to justify selling my modified 04 CTT for.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:36 PM
Doug_B_928
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Turboslut
I don't know about "common," but two that I've seen discussed involve camshaft bolts and transfer case issues.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:11 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug_B_928
I don't know about "common," but two that I've seen discussed involve camshaft bolts and transfer case issues.
Actually - it's VarioCam bolts - and only on the V8 models.

Most of the transfer case issues I've heard of on various forums have been on the V6 model, although the V8 isn't immune. That seems to be a fairly early failure - most failed while under warranty and Porsche paid to fix. The tech writeups I've seen on it mention that the clutch-basket assembly in the transfer case wasn't machined correctly and caused slippage resulting in a failed clutch. Porsche doesn't repair these - it gets replaced.

The transfer case problem can be checked for - there is a sensor in the transfer case that measures the electrical conductivity of the fluid. If it becomes conductive that's an indication that it's slipping and wearing. You can read this value with an ICarScan - dunno on the Durametric, I haven't tried mine.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:45 AM
rting
Instructor

Update on mine ...

1. Replaced faulty spark plugs due to a manufacturing defect. Casing cracked and causes mis-firing, etc.
2. Replaced rubber coolant pipes with aluminum ones despite NOT having an issue but did it to prevent a known issue.
3. Replace both fuel pumps - one of them failed.
4. Fixed rear park assist due to mud/sand built up as I did not have mud guard behind the rear wheels. Front park assist on the left sometimes have false signals - may be also failing.

Still have under 60,000 km on the car but reading this thread it seems that there are other reliability issues with the new Cayenne ... sad indeed.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:55 AM
ZenicaPA
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by TomF
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. This problem is well documented as are the various methods (none easy) for a fix. Search under "coolant manifold."

Cheers,
TomF
What years are susceptible to this issue?

After reading this thread, I'm convinced I need to buy new or a very low mileage CPO where I can add an extended Porsche warranty.

If I wanted to dump $$$ into a car, I'd keep my Enclave. By comparison an Acura TL I had but gave to a neighbors kid racked up 245k miles and my entire out of pocket cost for repairs excluding brakes/tires/oil cost me less than $3,000 --- for every single one of those two hundred and forty five thousand miles. Say what you will but some car brands are just more reliable than others, regardless of country of origin.

That said, I'm just tired of the drive/look/feel of Acura's, had them for too many years.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:24 AM
Turboslut
Rennlist Member

I would not buy any used Porsche without a warranty of some kind....especially on models with known gremlins.

Aston Martin has a CPO program with unlimited mileage as long as car is 10yrs or newer. Question is how many days will the car actually be out of the shop before the 10yrs are up?

Originally Posted by ZenicaPA

After reading this thread, I'm convinced I need to buy new or a very low mileage CPO where I can add an extended Porsche warranty.

If I wanted to dump $$$ into a car, I'd keep my Enclave. By comparison an Acura TL I had but gave to a neighbors kid racked up 245k miles and my entire out of pocket cost for repairs excluding brakes/tires/oil cost me less than $3,000 --- for every single one of those two hundred and forty five thousand miles. Say what you will but some car brands are just more reliable than others, regardless of country of origin.

That said, I'm just tired of the drive/look/feel of Acura's, had them for too many years.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:59 AM
CTTS520
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ZenicaPA

Acuras are fine automobiles but they don't make anything comparable to a Cayenne and all of its capabilities. I am impressed (and a little skeptical) by the extremely low running cost of your TL. If you maintain a Cayenne properly and drive it likes its meant to be driven, you will probably go through $3000.00 in brakes, oil, filters, and tires in 40,000 miles. Some vehicles just cost more to operate than others.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:47 PM
rting
Instructor

My cost for the 4 issues above totalled about C$6,000 but mind you two of the issues were part of recall programs (which I found out too late after the programs' expiration dates). So base on the miles driven, may be I should not complain. However, when I see the amount of electronics in the newer Cayennes, I would hesitate ... but that's just me.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:14 PM
Turboslut
Rennlist Member

true....but just look at the brakes on the Cayenne...lol.

Originally Posted by CTTS520
Acuras are fine automobiles but they don't make anything comparable to a Cayenne and all of its capabilities. I am impressed (and a little skeptical) by the extremely low running cost of your TL. If you maintain a Cayenne properly and drive it likes its meant to be driven, you will probably go through $3000.00 in brakes, oil, filters, and tires in 40,000 miles. Some vehicles just cost more to operate than others.

Quick Reply: Overall Reliability of Cayenne