Sponsored by:

New Tires for 2011 CTT

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 07:19 PM
THense
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Tires for 2011 CTT

I'm at at 20K miles and will need new tires (20 inch) soon. P dealer quoting me $1900 for new cont crossxsport w/ one year warranty. Any suggestions? Need M&S in New England area.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:28 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,613 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally Posted by THense
I'm at at 20K miles and will need new tires (20 inch) soon. P dealer quoting me $1900 for new cont crossxsport w/ one year warranty. Any suggestions? Need M&S in New England area.
Not too many all season choices in that size. Stick with those, but get from Tire Rack. Even after delivery and mounting, you'll still be several hundred ahead.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:31 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm few days away from getting a second set of those for my '11 CTT, except I don't go the dealer route.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:23 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
I'm few days away from getting a second set of those for my '11 CTT, except I don't go the dealer route.
I gather that means you liked them?
Old 03-31-2013, 11:22 AM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
I gather that means you liked them?
Technically, it's a third set, since these are the tires it came with. So, yes, I like them.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:25 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Not too many all season choices in that size. Stick with those, but get from Tire Rack. Even after delivery and mounting, you'll still be several hundred ahead.
I run 20" and didn't have a problem finding some good choices. Ran the Yoko Prada Spec X's before (load rating is fine but they're lower on the speed rating, could only go 149 mph I think ), I was very pleased with the tire's performance but I only got 25K mi. out of them (I did replace them about 2k mi. early though). I drove those tires hard though.

For this set I took Dennis C.'s recommendation and went with the Conti Extreme Contact DWS' and am very pleased with them (apx 4k mi. on them so far).

If you have a Discount Tire Store around, check with them, they'll match/beat TR's price and you get free rotation with it.

Edit: reading comp issue again, see now where you're asking about M&S and the DWS' are AS, don't know if that makes a diff for you.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:35 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
Technically, it's a third set, since these are the tires it came with. So, yes, I like them.
Cool. Not much choice in this size.

My local dealer has all three tires on the 20" RS Spyder wheels in stock - Goodyear, Continental and Pirelli. As long as I don't get the Goodyear, I'll be happy. Not much snow to worry about here in TX, but If we decide to go up North to go skiing, I don't want to have to worry about running summers and swapping them out!
Old 04-01-2013, 08:07 PM
shldrdoc993
Advanced

Default cayenne 11 turbo rim tires

I loved pirellis verde all seasons early on. They became in godly loud as they wore. I have set of snows but I'm installing a set of conti DWS tomorrow. Ordered from tire rack installed at porsche. Everything I've read and friends that have these love them. I think though they are slightly diff than stock 275/45/20
Old 04-03-2013, 01:47 PM
JFR-
Advanced

Originally Posted by 993BillW
I run 20" and didn't have a problem finding some good choices. Ran the Yoko Prada Spec X's before (load rating is fine but they're lower on the speed rating, could only go 149 mph I think ), I was very pleased with the tire's performance but I only got 25K mi. out of them (I did replace them about 2k mi. early though). I drove those tires hard though.

For this set I took Dennis C.'s recommendation and went with the Conti Extreme Contact DWS' and am very pleased with them (apx 4k mi. on them so far).
Hey Bill, did you get the Conti's in the same size as your Parada's (275-45-20)? I recently switched to your Parada set up when upgrading to 20'' wheels (from Mich Lattitude Tour HP 255-55-18). I can't say I really I noticed any dramatic difference behind the wheel, and wouldn't know what to attribute any minor changes to anyway, since more than one thing changed (I also added spacers to the rear). Handling and acceleration feel about the same, but I'd not had my p!g (06 CS, steel springs) for long before making these changes, only about 5k miles.

I can say that the taller tire looks better by filling up the wheel well a little bit more, which of course was the goal. In theory, my handling should be improved (wider tire, shorter side wall, higher load rating) and acceleration diminished a tiny bit (energy to spin up a larger diameter and heavier tire).

So after adopting your last set up, I'm curious if you stayed with the same tire size or did you go back to a 40 series, and if so why?

By the way, I read somewhere that the speed ratings are for an HOUR at that speed, and it's determined by the heat they can handle. So one might not necessarily consider the speed rating an outright "limit", although I would consider temp conditions and be cautious of long straight temptations in the desert.

Thanks. John
Old 07-15-2013, 03:36 PM
billyg
Advanced

Cool. Not much choice in this size.

My local dealer has all three tires on the 20" RS Spyder wheels in stock - Goodyear, Continental and Pirelli. As long as I don't get the Goodyear, I'll be happy. Not much snow to worry about here in TX, but If we decide to go up North to go skiing, I don't want to have to worry about running summers and swapping them out!
Picking up the 14 Diesel Friday. She comes with 19 in Goodyears. Should I be disappointed after having Conti's, Michelin's, and Pirelli snows on the 06S? The dealer said all newbies specced with 19 in rims come with Goodyear.

Quick Reply: New Tires for 2011 CTT