Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Huge delay in delivery CD S. Help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 09:41 AM
997CS4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Huge delay in delivery CD S. Help?

I just received a call from my dealer with the disturbing news that my Cayenne V8 diesel will not be delivered at the end of May, but at mid September. I ordered the car late December 2012 with almost every option. Apparently the supply and demand for the diesel S is a mismatch in The Netherlands. Since the delay is so great I can legally walk away from my order. The problem is they gave a decent price on my 997.2 4S (MY 2010 with 80.000 km). They will get back to me with a new proposal in the next few days. I have no experience with this, what is an acceptable solution in this case? If I don’t cancel my order the new car will obviously be a 2014 model. I greatly appreciate your comments/experience in this matter.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:44 AM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No expert, but they usually sell cars per a dealer allocation slot ... if demand is high that should affect waiting time for new orders, but not delay existing confirmed and slotted/booked ones?

Unless Porsche is having problems getting the CDS off the assembly lines ...

Is it possible they re-sold your car to somebody who wanted it right away, who offered them a premium? I wonder if you can ask to audit their books, and see if they will be co-incidentally receiving a build identical to yours But they could have also changed the options in the nick of time for the other buyer.

Would be interesting to see what other Europeans with CDS's on order have to say.

Waiting 4 months for a 2014 will make your car worth a few thousand more at any point in time. But I know how painful that wait is in anticipation!

BTW, I think they can legally (at least in the contracts here) re-evaluate your 997 because it will be a model year older and more km at the time of transaction. I would absolutely not budge on that, and get it in writing now that they cannot re-evaluate it!
Old 03-27-2013, 10:59 AM
997CS4
Instructor

Thanks Steve, the production date was not confirmed yet, I could still change the configuration. I'm sure they haven't resold my car to someone else. The problem they say is the V8 diesel engine that they are buying from Audi. Porsche in The Netherlands underestimated the demand for the Diesel V8 and now they their allocation with this engine is too low. The waiting for all the other models is not effected. They had to call 4 other customers with the same news. Switserland might have the same problem. I read somewhere that if you order your car today in Switserland, you will get it next January!
Old 03-27-2013, 11:10 AM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Still hard to understand how this would delay orders from last year by such an amount, if they were booking last years orders to actual planned production capacity and allocated slots. A surge in demand now, would delay future orders.

Perhaps Audi can't supply the engines to the perviously planned production, perhaps they are being re-allocated to a richer country !
Old 03-27-2013, 11:14 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by steve_Cayenne
No expert, but they usually sell cars per a dealer allocation slot ... if demand is high that should affect waiting time for new orders, but not delay existing confirmed and slotted/booked ones?
Sadly there is a dealer in my area that used to (don't know if they still do because I refuse to go near them) take allocated (but not locked) slots from the rightful customer and give them to their preferred customers all the time. I know because initially they were giving us the same 1+ year outlook for our 996 as the dealer we bought from, but once I found out the sales manager happened to live around the corner (neighbor of another car guy that I used to talk about GT racing with) all of a sudden they had a slot for us that locked in a few days. We walked when we realized what was going on.

Hopefully that's not the case here though. If there are other dealers in your area, you might call them and find out when they say they could get you a slot to see if their answer is in line with your dealer.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:41 PM
Joseph O'Reilly
Instructor

No issues in Germany with delays to existing CDS orders. Was slotted for April/May production last December, and mine'll be built the week of April 15. What 997CS4 writes about per-country allocation and underestimating demand is believable to me. I am in no hurry to get it, so would have gladly gotten bumped down the list in exchange for getting a MY2014 for the 2013 price (around 1200 euros different) and another shot at tweaking my configuration. Not gonna happen though.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:08 PM
rc2080
Intermediate

Originally Posted by steve_Cayenne

BTW, I think they can legally (at least in the contracts here) re-evaluate your 997 because it will be a model year older and more km at the time of transaction. I would absolutely not budge on that, and get it in writing now that they cannot re-evaluate it!
Yeah, my dealership tried to pull that on me.. they even brought the manager in to try to make me accept it. I literally started packing up my stuff and got up to leave before they caved and put it in writing that the price won't change.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:11 AM
grohgreg
Pro

I strongly endorse the recommendation to take advantage of the four month delay in the form of leverage. Specifically: in exchange for your disappointment and inconvenience
(a) hold to the previously agreed upon amount for your trade-in vehicle
(b) insist that the 2013 quote be applied to the 2014 vehicle
Given that the fault lies with Porsche, it's unethical that you be forced to make up the difference. Insist that the dealer recover any incurred loss from from Porsche.

//greg//
Old 03-28-2013, 01:01 PM
997CS4
Instructor

Thanks Greg, I intended on taking that route. Your last comment is very helpfull, I didn't think of that, but you are probably right.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:59 AM
997CS4
Instructor

Thanks for all your help. Without having to apply to much pressure, they did the right thing and offered me 2014 model with no adjustment on price. They also did not change the price on the the trade in, as long as I behave my self milege wise. I have a couple of extra months to go over my configuration again.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:46 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

In the long run you will be better off with a newer Cayenne, and a further out warrenty expiration date!

Quick Reply: Huge delay in delivery CD S. Help?