Sponsored by:

Which wheel sizes for the Cayenne V6??

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 10:15 AM
rc2080
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by steve_Cayenne
Long range forecast is showing no snow, and above freezing temps 2 weeks out!

Global warming is working, up north at least!
And now he's jinxed it :P
Old 03-26-2013, 12:09 PM
tmack2012
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had a 2013 CD since August and live in the snowbelt. It has been a particularly cold and snowy winter here. I spec’d the RS Spyder rims (which came with Scorpion Verde all seasons) with the plan to order an 18” winter tire rim set. I got the Cayenne S III rim/winter tire package through Porsche (Dunlop SP Wintersport 3D’s which I am really happy with, btw).

I agree with Steve re. opinion on rim sizes (and cost too) as well as having dedicated smaller diameter winter rims/tires as well as the looks of the larger diameter rims, cost notwithstanding. The 21’s, whether Turbo II’s or the Sport Edition’s really take the looks of the Cayenne to the next level, for the low, low price of $ 6 – 7 k.

I kind of wanted the “largest reasonably priced rim” (would make a good title for a reality TV show...) Tried a few configurations with 19”ers, figured overall it was not a good choice and was a bad in-between size for what I intended (not an 18” for winter use, not as nice-looking as 20”+). Was going a bit crazy with options list too.

I asked my sales guy about PASM. He recommended it for the larger wheel sizes (can’t remember if he said 20” and over or over 20”) re. ride quality. We didn’t really get into an Air suspension discussion, because by that point given the options list I’d generated I think he figured I was getting a bit twitchy/price-sensitive (was actually trying to downsell me off the Espresso leather, which was a large option).

In my last car (A5) I’d had Drive Select and liked playing with and adjusting the settings and noticed a definite change in ride quality for a given setting and pretty much was wanting the same control in the CD.

Ultimately, I did go for PASM with NO Air, and honestly part of it was to open the door to maybe some 21’s down the road…(ladies get your 9 mm’s ready…)

The 18’s have proven to be a good choice for this winter. So many potholes and obscuration of curbs etc. by snow. It is really mucky here in winter as well and performance or sporty driving is just foolhardy. I’ve seen a few Cayennes with the 19’s this winter, but aesthetically not different enough to justify the rim risk, IMO. I’ve nailed some potholes too so glad to have the extra sidewall.

Waiting to get the 20’s on!

On another note, re. ride quality, I wonder if, in retrospect, it was worth it to even get the PASM at all. Agree with the opinions re. steel spring setup is great out of the box, mechanically simpler, cheaper etc. Didn’t want air re. mechanical liability (have a GL320 and also friends with MB SUV’s; we need a suspension airbag support group…) To get the full benefit of suspension adjustability I wonder if you need to get the air. In which case, as Steve pointed out, how do you tell if the ride difference is the (always changing) PASM part of that equation and/or the air springs. Have had some pretty nasty snow drifts and stuff here, so maybe would have come in handy a few times, but imo would be a pretty rare event to justify the cost and complexity, given that we don’t tow either.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:55 AM
dale59911
Rennlist Member

This is starting to look like another visit to the Porsche dealer in Spokane. :-) So many vehicles come in presold that it is hard to find vehicles in the engine/wheel/suspension combo to actually drive. The thought of shaving 2,000 off by eliminating the PASM is certainly enticing. Time to pull the starter rope on the old Highlander and make the trek across the mountains.

I really do appreciate all the input and info on this website. btw, the Flathead Valley is almost spring like as well. Could get two feet of snow tomorrow or it could be 75 F......you just never know.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:46 PM
jimobrn
4th Gear

Default 19x8.5/9.5 or 20x9.5/9.5

Hi.. I'm looking to cross the line from X5 to Cayenne. I love everything about the Cayenne 3.6 base except the wheels. I like the 911 Turbo II style but refuse to pay the Dealer price. I found a site that sells these wheels for much less plus they offer in 19s and 20s -> http://www.modbargains.com/Porsche-C...yle-Wheels.htm

1) has anyone ordered from this site before/ quality of wheels?

2) I live in New Jersey and have to deal with some potholes and snow. I don't want to deal with changing wheels for the winter (limited garage space) so being that the 20s look better on the Cayenne, would I be able to reduce my chances of rim bends, blowouts and snow sliding if I went with the 20s with a good, firm all season (maybe Conti DWS?) or should I play safe and go with the offset 19s - which still may look really cool with the offset?

Thanks,
jim
Old 06-11-2013, 08:28 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

My $.02 would be go with the 19's if only using one set of rims.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:32 PM
jimobrn
4th Gear

Thanks. That's were I'm leaning.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:54 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is what my Replica Turbo-II 20" with OE size tires looks like. I feel that there is sufficient sidewall (as you can see in photo), that I am not worried about pothole damage, and the pot holes in my area are about as bad as they get!

Not sure if 19" Turbo-II would deviate too much from the intended OE look of 21"s for that style, but would be slightly better in winter. Tough call, personally I would go for the 20"s if your winter's are not too bad, and you are unsatisfied with the looks of the 18"s.

And although staggered offset/width is popular on X5's (had them on mine in factory offset configuration), they do not correspond to an OE configuration on the Cayenne ... I would be careful before going that route. Also cant rotate front to back.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:18 AM
fincher
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love those 20s. Better look if you can swing it. Another advantage to the 20s is it is easier to find 20" tires than it is 19" tires.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:17 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

We offer the Alzor 856's (20" x 9.5") a very similar look to the turbo's. For more information Click Here. If you have any questions or concerns feel free to PM me.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:56 PM
jimobrn
4th Gear

Thanks Steve! You really went above and beyond my expectations and sealed the deal for me. Your Cayenne looks awesome in those shoes...
Old 06-14-2013, 03:57 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No problems Jim!

And just to make sure I am not misleading anybody, mine are neither from ECS nor Modbargains ... but from "Replika". But I am guessing they all look pretty similar.

Quick Reply: Which wheel sizes for the Cayenne V6??