Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member - 295/30/21 Tires on CGTS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 04:03 PM
NoCalGTS
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member - 295/30/21 Tires on CGTS?

Hello, new to the forum here.

I took delivery of a 2013 Cayenne GTS last weekend and have been happily working it through the break in period mainly on rural coastal roads. I'm more impressed with it the more I drive it, and I think I may finally have found the solution to a problem I've been trying to solve for months--that is, one car to do all things.

A bit of background to give a sense for where I'm coming from:

This is my first SUV. I spent a lot of time in an older BMW X5, but my personal cars for the last ten years have been BMW coupes and sedans, including a 2013 M5 that I sold after just 24 hours a couple months ago. It's been a long process to find a new car and the GTS is the only SUV I ever considered. For me it made sense to cross-shop it against the M3, the M5, the E63, and an older RS4. I don't currently have kids, so this wasn't the typical compromise. I just thought the Cayenne offered a special balance of trade-offs for driving dynamics, comfort, practicality, looks, and comfort that felt right to me. To me it looks and feels much smaller and younger than a Panamera, so for a four door Porsche it was the only option for me. Frankly, I don't know why the car doesn't get more praise for its breadth of capabilities than it does.

With that background, I want my GTS to be biased toward the best balance of handling and ride comfort I can find. I don't expect the car will ever see much snow, and if it did it would need an entirely different set of tires. During my search I drove several CTTs and CGTSs and for me the GTS just felt much lighter and more nimble than the Turbo. The boost was cool in the Turbo, but I'm a sucker for a NA engine and I think they're not long for this world. I also learned just how important PDCC is and had to search to find a GTS with PDCC on a lot--proof, I suppose, that far too few of these cars sell to enthusiasts.

So, with all of that said, I'm really missing the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires I've grown accustomed to running on the old BMWs. My car currently has the 21" SportDesign wheels with the Latitude Sports. I'm having a bit of trouble understanding what these tires' contribution is to the grip/feedback/comfort equation. I realize this is a far heavier, taller can than I'm used to (although it's only 200lbs heavier than the F10 M5), but I'm curious whether the higher sidewalls and the lower-performance bias of the Latitude Sports are making the car more vague and less responsive than it needs to be. I'm curious how the car would look and react with Pilot Super Sports in the 295/30/21 size (the closest size they currently make to the OEM size).

This would mean a reduced a reduced overall diameter of 1.1" and a reduced weight of 1.8 lbs per tire. I expect the looks could suffer, but I'm more curious about ride quality and wheel damage.

I'm open to trying it because I trust the Super Sport as a tire. I know there are other options from other brands out there in the OEM size, but I've not had good experiences with Pirellis or Continentals in the past.

I apologize for the long post, but have any of you run a 295/30/21 setup on a Cayenne? Did it work?

Thanks for any feedback...
Old 03-12-2013, 06:15 PM
GTS 6 spd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can only comment on the stock size, but you may want to try the Yokohamas in the 295/35/21 as they may be slightly stickier than michelins. I liked the Yokos but when they were worn out I replaced them with Michelins based on my preference for their car tire. Currently on P Zeros which are not as sticky as the Yokos or Micheleins. I may go with the Pirelli's if the price difference is great, otherwise it's back to Yokos or Michelins. This is on the '08-'10 series GTS.

And good call on the PDCC, first GTS did not have it and my 2nd iteration does - viva le difference!
Old 03-13-2013, 01:10 PM
bgsntth
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I was really impressed with the Yokos on my prior-gen GTS. Great grip, noise, hydroplane resistance with very predictable breakaway characteristics. Make sure that the Load Index is appropriate on the Pilot Sports for the Cayenne too.

My latest issue of Car & Driver tested a GTS with 295/35-21 Lat-Sports:
Braking 70 - 0mph was 151'
Skidpad was 0.95 g

Same issue test of a manual M5 was 158' and 0.93 g, respectively.

That is pretty insane for a 5108lb SUV. C&D gushed in regards to the GTS, but did not have a lot of positives for the M5.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:14 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My experience with the Yokos were less than stellar. As with most Japanese tires, road noise was an issue with these tires.

I've since switched to a non Porsche N-rated Dunlop SP Sport Maxx; even though they are A0-rated for Audi. They wear lightly & evenly with very little road noise and handle very well. My experience with the Pirelli P-Zero is that you never own the tires but simply rent them....

Quick Reply: New Member - 295/30/21 Tires on CGTS?