Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTS owners- do you drive it snow??

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 10:52 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTS owners- do you drive it snow??

My wife wants a new GTS- of course she loves the 20-21 inch wheels. I worry about how they will do in bad weather, even with all season tires. Of course smaller wheels with snow tires can be put on in the winter but this is just thing i have to do.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:02 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends where you live ...

Real winter = real winter tires

May still take off ok in snow with wide all seasons with the 4wd, PTV, and PSM ... but stopping and cornering will not be as safe as with proper rubber, which is where you are likely to get into trouble.

Forget about summer tires in snow.

Winter rubber, more important than narrow tires. But narrower tires do help.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:41 AM
GTS 6 spd
Instructor

it's a versatile vehicle that can handle anything. And as steve cayenne said, real winter requires proper tires. No snow here, but plenty of off road action for camping, hiking and mtn biking. My "off-road" set up is 275/40/20.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:55 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,430 Likes on 894 Posts

I don't have a GTS, but I do drive my S in the snow. I put on a set of dedicated winter wheels and tires. It's great in the snow with proper tires...
Old 03-07-2013, 08:19 AM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

To emphasise ... my 2013 Cayenne with 18" wheels, and "Pirreli winter" tires is just amazing in Canadian winters with lots of snow, ice, and slush.

BTW, mine is V6, but do not see how the GTS would be any different in winter with same wheels/tires. Touch lower, but you can raise it with air. Otherwise same drive line.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:30 AM
LaicepsYdobon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by scycle2020
My wife wants a new GTS- of course she loves the 20-21 inch wheels. I worry about how they will do in bad weather, even with all season tires. Of course smaller wheels with snow tires can be put on in the winter but this is just thing i have to do.
Depends on how much snow you get. I personally can get away with driving around on all seasons without an issue. If I lived further north I would invest in a good set of snow tires. The thing that you should really be worried about is tire damage due to pot holes. With 20" and 21" wheels you are running on tires that have thinner and smaller sidewalls which are prone to bubbling or tearing. In my previous car I went through about 2 - 3 tires per winter because of the small crater sized potholes in my area. I ordered my Cayenne with 19"s and I still check my tires every now and then with a flashlight because some potholes I hit are ginormous. If you are going with tires that size be sure to get the tire & wheel protection package from your dealer. It will save you a small fortune in the long run.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:36 AM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes and on 20" all-seasons. Never had any issues in the snow. Even that epic one in December of 2010
Old 03-07-2013, 08:54 AM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

For all these depends where you live / "I am fine with all seasons in snow" ...

Temperature also plays a role. Hovering around freezing, all seasons will still be somewhat soft and sticky. But drop much colder in the minuses F ... and the all seasons will start freezing solid and acting like hockey pucks on ice while winters will still be soft and rubbery.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:17 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Temperature also plays a role. Hovering around freezing, all seasons will still be somewhat soft and sticky. But drop much colder in the minuses F ... and the all seasons will start freezing solid and acting like hockey pucks on ice while winters will still be soft and rubbery.
+1

All seasons, traction control, ABS and other systems can only do so much before the 5,000 Pound Pig goes sliding off the road :-/
Old 03-07-2013, 12:48 PM
LaicepsYdobon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by steve_Cayenne

+1 Could not have said it better myself.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:30 PM
gbratk
Instructor

I have 275-19" Pirelli winter tires, and it really drives great, but there are still mayor problem to stop this heavy vehicle in real snow conditions.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:58 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

If you get a GTS with 21" tires, there are no all season tires at this time for it. I checked everywhere and confirmed with Tirerack. If it has 20" and smaller then there are all season options.

If you want the 21" rims, plan for a summer set and a winter set. I just went through this exercise.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:57 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

20" Blizzack dedicated snow tires work well in deep snow on my 2011 Cayenne S
Old 03-08-2013, 01:02 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by steve_Cayenne

For me in Nashville the (quality) all seasons are perfect but yes if I lived in the snow belt I would be looking at dedicated snow/winter tires.

P!g - Conti DWS's installed about 2k mi. ago, so far outstanding
993 - Mich PS2 Plus on for a couple of years, although $$$ they are outstanding. I do drive this car in (our) winter, not a track car
M3 - now has Conti DWS's. so far no complaints
Old 03-08-2013, 09:25 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 506 Posts

There's nothing scarier than driving on 21" wheels and worn summer tires in the snow. Seriously! Don't ask me how I know. If you have a GTS with 21" wheels, get a second set of wheels with winter tires.

Quick Reply: GTS owners- do you drive it snow??