Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone here have a cayenne v6 with sport design package?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 10:20 AM
saraojo
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone here have a cayenne v6 with sport design package?

hi all, I was thinking about purchasing a Cayenne v6 with sport design package and just wanted to know if anyone here in the forums has one or know of anyone that has one.
As far as I know the sport design package is similar to the body kit in the cayenne gts, is that correct? I have seen pictures of the gts with the turbo II wheels, but I wonder how it will look with just the stock 18s.
As for the cayenne v6 engine, do any of you v6 engine owners feel that its too underpowered for its weight? I am not looking for something extremely fast but I do want something that has grunt especially climbing steep hills or for easily passing cars in the highway.

thanks
Old 03-03-2013, 12:00 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think it's mostly composed of a really "special" graphic on the side. When v8 cayennes are a dime a dozen why consider one that is too slow? It's a joke that the word "sport" and v6 would be paired.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:03 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by endless_corners
I think it's mostly composed of a really "special" graphic on the side. When v8 cayennes are a dime a dozen why consider one that is too slow? It's a joke that the word "sport" and v6 would be paired.
Can we seriously not grow up around here and get over this stupid meme that the V6 is somehow not a real Porsche? The V6 may be slower than the V8, but otherwise equipped the same it will do everything it's more powerful brethren will do (just a bit slower). Any Porsche owner that actually knows the brand and it's history should know that raw power and straight line speed are far from the only thing to "sport" and not something Porsches excel at anyway.

Furthermore to deride the V6 for a lack of "sport" while implying that the V8 is somehow better is just silly since having a serious conversation about "sport" while talking about any SUV is just silly. The Cayenne is indeed an impressive beast in that regard and arguably the best of breed, but it is still a monster in the weight category with a high center of gravity. The Porsche engineers do some amazing things, but as far as I know all their creations are still bound by basic Physics.

Porsche is one of the last companies that still lets us personalize our cars exactly to our own tastes and needs, so please just accept that everyones needs and desires aren't the same as yours and let them enjoy their choices.

So please take the "my engine is bigger than yours" BS to the Ford and Chevy forums where they don't understand that roads have corners (ironic given your choice of user name) or bigger displacements (especially in American motors) don't equate to "better" without a well designed car around it.

As long as you don't go into it with some silly notion expecting V8 power out of the V6, the V6 is a fine engine. It is more than capable of moving the Cayenne around at better than legal (in the US) speeds. If you have no need of/desire for the extra power of a bigger engine (e.g. regular towing/heavy loads/incessant need to show off) then why waste the extra money and fuel on it? IIRC the price difference is around $10k between the V6 and V8 (if you add the Tip to the V6) and that is a fair chunk of options assuming the base price of the S is even in your target range.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:18 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
Furthermore to deride the V6 for a lack of "sport" while implying that the V8 is somehow better is just silly since having a serious conversation about "sport" while talking about any SUV is just silly. The Cayenne is indeed an impressive beast in that regard and arguably the best of breed, but it is still a monster in the weight category with a high center of gravity. The Porsche engineers do some amazing things, but as far as I know all their creations are still bound by basic Physics.

I don't want to fight, but:

+ the V6 is a VW engine, not porsche. but hey, cayenne is just a misspelled touareg anyways.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:38 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

The pre facelift cayenne v6 IS too SLOW. It is a slow 5000 lb SUV that handles really nice. A true porsche sure... But with used prices what they are there is no reason to settle. I never said it wasnt a porsche dude. It may even be nimble and solid I just can't call it sporty. The power-to-weight ratio of the current v6 is sporty though.

955 v8's are going for $12-$18k. The base cayennes are not much cheaper.

Last edited by endless_corners; 03-03-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:31 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by lupo.sk
I don't want to fight, but:
They compared a 500/516 Cayenne to a 400/325 911. How would it do against the 500/480 911TT which is closer in both price and power? I doubt quite as well.

I never said that the Cayenne wasn't capable in that type of environment, just that for the price there are far better tools for that job.

Don't get me wrong, that video was cool (thanks) and I am in awe of what Porsche has managed to do with these things. For me it's kinda along the same lines of putting your engine behind the rear axle and making it work...

+ the V6 is a VW engine, not porsche. but hey, cayenne is just a misspelled touareg anyways.
The VR6 is no slouch on it's own, but my understanding is that Porsche has tuned just about everything inside it. Is it the OEM of the block or the tuning that's done after that stamps it's name to it?

The pre facelift cayenne v6 IS too SLOW. It is a slow 5000 lb SUV that handles really nice. A true porsche sure... But with used prices what they are there is no reason to settle.

955 v8's are going for $12-$18k. The base cayennes are not much cheaper.
Since the OP was talking about the sport trim I assume they are talking about a new one since finding a used one is probably harder than locating a manual transmission. Thus my comments are focused on the current line.

The price difference in the older models is indeed far less significant, but that doesn't change my irritation of the "V6s are garbage" type comments. In my limited experience with the 955/957 V6 I haven't been unimpressed and think the automatic transmission is it's limiting factor (not a bad tranny until you compare it to the 958's).
Old 03-03-2013, 07:47 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

I thought he was talking about this type of thing (sans rims and probably no Kanye)

For the record I never called the v6 garbage and I thought OP was talking about 955's. Which IMO are too slow for the weight relative to the cheapness of v8's and even turbos for that matter.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:12 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

I think I'd sans everything in that pic
Old 03-03-2013, 08:16 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

you'd sans kim?
Old 03-03-2013, 08:57 PM
saraojo
AutoX

Hahahaaha. Great pic. That cayenne belongs in RIDES magazine.
But yes, I was in the market for a 2013 cayenne v6 tiptronic with the sport design package (which is supposed to look similar to the body kit in the GTS). I currently have a v8 gas guzzler coupe and I just want something else that can get me around town during inclement weather, easily uphills and merge on the highways with confidence.
I'll have to test drive the v6 vs v8 back to back this week, but the dealerships are always out of v6 cayennes here in the nyc /nj area. They say its their best seller.
But I do appreciate the feedback, I am sure the v8 is probably "better" but I sense no need to spend an extra 10k if I can spec the car more to my liking (such as the sport design body kit with side skirts) especially if most owners feel that the v6 is suffificient. In addition, Im not looking to spend more than 70k if possible so the S will be out of the question and I might look at something else.
I also agree with gnat above that bigger displacement does not neccessarily lead to a better engine or car in general.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:21 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

you'd sans kim?
That overly plastic vapid waste of space? Most certainly.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:57 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

I quite agree but I just assume most blokes think with their....
Old 03-04-2013, 12:06 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

The new Cayenne's V6 now outputs 300 hp and when you compare the new model's V6 (weighing 200 kg less) with the original 340 hp V8 S, both those cars have very similar power-to-weight ratios.

The new V6 is not lightning fast, but it is not bad either - very similar performance to the original S.

You are correct, the Sport Design package will get you most of the GTS style, the main difference being the turbo-style front fascia of the GTS.

However, I think that package really works best with the larger wheels (20" or 21"). The reason why is that the body color side skirts and wheel arches tend to make the body look larger (especially in lighter-colored cars) and the 18" or 19" wheels tend to look smaller by comparison.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:17 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Saraojo have you given any pause for the diesel?
Old 03-04-2013, 07:34 PM
saraojo
AutoX

Originally Posted by 500_19B
The new Cayenne's V6 now outputs 300 hp and when you compare the new model's V6 (weighing 200 kg less) with the original 340 hp V8 S, both those cars have very similar power-to-weight ratios.

The new V6 is not lightning fast, but it is not bad either - very similar performance to the original S.

You are correct, the Sport Design package will get you most of the GTS style, the main difference being the turbo-style front fascia of the GTS.

However, I think that package really works best with the larger wheels (20" or 21"). The reason why is that the body color side skirts and wheel arches tend to make the body look larger (especially in lighter-colored cars) and the 18" or 19" wheels tend to look smaller by comparison.
Thanks for the info, since you put it that way, the v6 should be enough for me. I was going to test drive one earlier but they did not have any v6 in stock when I called the dealer. I am planning to get the cayenne in white or silver so yes I feel that the sport design kit will make a noticeable difference even for the 5,800 or so price. I was planning on getting the 21 turbo II wheels but the 6000+ oem price might be a little too much and other ppl tell me I can get aftermarket wheels with the same style for about half the price. Looks like I will probably have to stick with the 18s when I buy.

Quick Reply: anyone here have a cayenne v6 with sport design package?