Sponsored by:

Improving Built In Cell Phone Reception

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 03:29 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 250 Posts
Default Improving Built In Cell Phone Reception

This is probably a tough one. Not many Cayennes have a functional in dash SIM slot for cell service. My latest Cayenne does. I've had it a few years but just tested it for grins last summer. Reception was pretty lousy. Anyone have any idea how upgrade/replace/improve the antenna? Is it even using a separate antenna or does it borrow the radio antenna? Any ideas?
Old 02-06-2013, 04:58 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Bump-dealer says it's one integrated antenna, so question is can the pcm 2.1 radio antenna be upgraded?
Old 02-06-2013, 11:16 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I mean haven't smart phones kind of negated needing to put energy into revamping the built in wonky calling features of the pig? Why bother.. Isn't it just a novelty? (not trying to be negative nancy here)

Last edited by endless_corners; 02-07-2013 at 12:13 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:59 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

I end up with extra SIM cards fairly often. We have a dozen phones around the company and whenever we have a contract on a smart phone but no employee to match it to, we make it dormant. Basically, you can park the contract for $10 a month. I have a couple right now. I could put the lowest service on one and just have it for convenience. To answer your question, if you can't get hands free, then no, the smart phone hasn't negated the need. I am however scheduling installation of some dension updates that should give me bluetooth. But if I have the extra SIM, why not use it? One good reason not to use it is crappy reception. So, the reason I'm asking.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:10 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 96 Posts

The mobile setup in your Cayenne relies upon a tri-band GSM radio using PCS frequencies 900Mhz, 1800Mhz and 1900Mhz. Several years ago ATTWS moved much of their traffic over to the 950Mhz band to achieve better signal delivery. Ultimately, much of their traffic has now moved to the 1900/2100Mhz bands for the 3G service (I'd have to go back and look at my notes somewhere for what is used for the 4G/LTE service). T-Mobile is the only other viable GSM provider in the US. You will find that as long as you only need access to 2G/EDGE services, T-Mobile SIMs are the ONLY ones that work with the integrated GSM phone module found in the Cayennes such as yours. If you have T-Mobile SIMs, use them. ATT SIMs will not work reliably due to frequencies differences.

As for the antenna, it is located in the rear spoiler and I sincerely doubt that you could upgrade it and have it remain compatible with the rest of the electronics suite in your Cayenne.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:33 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I'm on ATT. They work, but not well at all.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:03 AM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
The mobile setup in your Cayenne relies upon a tri-band GSM radio using PCS frequencies 900Mhz, 1800Mhz and 1900Mhz. Several years ago ATTWS moved much of their traffic over to the 950Mhz band to achieve better signal delivery. Ultimately, much of their traffic has now moved to the 1900/2100Mhz bands for the 3G service (I'd have to go back and look at my notes somewhere for what is used for the 4G/LTE service). T-Mobile is the only other viable GSM provider in the US. You will find that as long as you only need access to 2G/EDGE services, T-Mobile SIMs are the ONLY ones that work with the integrated GSM phone module found in the Cayennes such as yours. If you have T-Mobile SIMs, use them. ATT SIMs will not work reliably due to frequencies differences.

As for the antenna, it is located in the rear spoiler and I sincerely doubt that you could upgrade it and have it remain compatible with the rest of the electronics suite in your Cayenne.
Now that I'm at a real keyboard and the kids are pulling me in two directions at the same time, I want to thank you for that. Great explanation. Thank you for taking the time.

Quick Reply: Improving Built In Cell Phone Reception