Diesel Oil change at 5k miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 10:13 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,578 Likes on 1,602 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
By the way, I think it's amusing that people spend so much on these cars then get pissed about $300 for oil change. Shoulda bought a Kia.

I've heard that statement before on other higher line automotive forums. Sorry, but I think that's just ignorant. I didn't get enough money to buy an $80k vehicle by pissing it away spending $300 on a $100 or less oil change. Tell you what, you pay me $300 and I'll keep the $100 and you'll get the same service. I'll even provide better coffee than the dealer.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:19 PM
DrChet
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grohgreg
Ideally Porsche is working on a sensor that is more compatible with the average grade of diesel fuel pumped in the US. And until that time, they have to cover their butts by dropping the oil change periodicity to the worst case 5000 miles.
Let's certainly hope so, then set our CDs back to variable interval oil changes. But what are the chances that Porsche will do that, and deny their dealers the added revenue? I'd be willing to bet that an improved sensor will be developed, but featured as an "refinement" for the 2014 models...

Originally Posted by grohgreg
The $140 price tag on a decent oil extractor should amortize quickly in the face of $300 dealer prices.
Where would you ideally extract from? The US CD has no dipstick. There's supposedly a place where one would be (and is in the ROW), but I haven't taken a close enough look to see.

I'm planning on putting about 10-12k miles a year on my CD, so the 5k oil change works out to an extra change a year. I'll do that for the duration of the warranty, then start doing the 5k interval changes myself.

I just had the first 5k change, btw. With my PCA discount, I was out the door for $264, and that included topping off the AdBlue.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:31 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DrChet
Where would you ideally extract from? The US CD has no dipstick. There's supposedly a place where one would be (and is in the ROW), but I haven't taken a close enough look to see.
You should take a closer look...the diptube is there with a cap.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:00 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by gjmattos
If you enjoy the diesel don't try and do the math.
Actually against the V6 the math works out well in regards to the oil changes and should do a bit better against the V8. I'm getting a moderate MPG and I'm currently projecting (I do metrics for a living so I'm being **** on my record keeping) about $300 in savings every 5-6k. So really in the end it pays for it's own oil changes and even pays you if you don't pay dealer prices

Now the math for it to pay off the premium over the plain V6 is indeed not the math you want to look at (not remotely as bad as the Hybrid, but still not encouraging)...
Old 01-28-2013, 03:48 AM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

"My CD display says the service interval is 40,000 miles/4 years!
I'm not doing that either and will reset the reminder on my own when needed.
What's up with managing attachments? Upside down when right side up and upside down when upside down"

There are 3 messages, scroll the thumb wheel through #2 & #3. If yours is like mine, your soonest (next) oil change will be on message #3. Is it somewhere in the 5000 - 10,000 mile range and within a year?
Old 01-28-2013, 09:38 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
As someone who is about to purchase a diesel, this really sucks.

If I change it myself, are there any warranty implications?
Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act
Old 01-28-2013, 11:33 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,578 Likes on 1,602 Posts

[quote=disden;10175845]

Originally Posted by chsu74
Been there, done that. Volvo dealers took a very liberal interpretation of this law. I'm sure at some point someone sued and won, but more people just got denied and went away. Thankfully I stayed clean.

I just don't want to have a fight on my hands, legal or not. I have better things to do with my life.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:29 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

The 5000 mile has been well known since the diesels first touched down here.
A lot of guys said it was bull, etc but I had got it straight from the first Porsche diesel technical and service training. It just didnt have time to make the owners manual.

I know we have had a few discussions here already on it. It is truly small compared to the cost of this vehicle, much less to speak to the potential warranty issues.

Quick Reply: Diesel Oil change at 5k miles