Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTS: Is Sound Symposer always on when in Sport mode?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 09:38 AM
kocsis
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 33 Posts
Default GTS: Is Sound Symposer always on when in Sport mode?

I have ordered the GTS and have heard a great deal of feedback about the Symposer - great sound, too much at times, wives hate it, etc. I also read that it is turned on and off with the Sport button. Since the Sport button also regulates PASM, PDCC, transmission and acceleration, I would like to know if I can somehow separate those functions from the Symposer - ie use the Sport button without the additional exhaust sound being piped into the A pillars.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:46 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,210 Likes on 478 Posts

If it is anything like my Panamera GTS, then the Symposer is off when the Sport Exhaust is off. Once again, if it is anything like my Pan GTS it really isnt that noticeable when it is on anyway. In the 991 it is like night and day difference when the Symposer is on, not so much in the PanGTS. Unfortunately my Cayenne Diesel doesn't have one!
Old 01-15-2013, 10:34 PM
GUman
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the GTS. Sport exhaust is on when you hit the sport button. I don't think you can turn it off- at least as far as I have found. Definite difference in sound though! I too have wondered if there is a way to turn this off while keeping the other sport functions engaged.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:57 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kocsis
I have ordered the GTS and have heard a great deal of feedback about the Symposer - great sound, too much at times, wives hate it, etc. I also read that it is turned on and off with the Sport button. Since the Sport button also regulates PASM, PDCC, transmission and acceleration, I would like to know if I can somehow separate those functions from the Symposer - ie use the Sport button without the additional exhaust sound being piped into the A pillars.
I have a my 13 GTS Cayenne. Love it. You select a lowered sport suspension separately from sport mode that increases exhaust sound and shift mode. You must select sport mode each time you start the car but the suspension
setting remains in sport until you change it. The sound change is really not that dramatic til WOT. If you cruising around town the passengers will hardly notice. It is most noticeable outside the Cayenne.b You can turn off the sport sound/ shift mode at any time while driving.

Bob
Old 02-25-2013, 04:01 PM
foster2
AutoX

i have the gts also (2010) and theres a slight increase in sound in sport mode with the windows up. with the windows down, youll hear a bit more rumble at low rpm. if you open up the throttle, i notice wives complain more about the white dotted lines blurring into a solid line, more so, than the any mention of increased noise...
Old 02-26-2013, 12:21 PM
igoping
AutoX

The passengers I have in my car love the Sport mode. I should remember to also lock it in manual shift mode so that we can enjoy the WOT noise and not be going at paralegal speeds because this pig really hauls when you floor it.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:12 PM
porscheprestige
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by fstockcarrera
I have a my 13 GTS Cayenne. Love it. You select a lowered sport suspension separately from sport mode that increases exhaust sound and shift mode. You must select sport mode each time you start the car but the suspension
setting remains in sport until you change it. The sound change is really not that dramatic til WOT. If you cruising around town the passengers will hardly notice. It is most noticeable outside the Cayenne.b You can turn off the sport sound/ shift mode at any time while driving.

Bob
Not sure I understood correctly, but if you are talking about sport from PASM, those settings have nothing to do with the sound.
PASM (comfort, normal, sport) are only and ONLY for suspension. Nothing else is adjusted but the suspension.
If you press the SPORT button (on top of PSM button) that's what activates the sport exhaust and readjusts the transmission and the throttle.

And to answer the OP question...not much to do, except bypassing the exhaust system and leave the valves open at all time.
So basically you will have sport exhaust on all the time, no matter what other setting you select
Old 02-27-2013, 10:44 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by porscheprestige
Not sure I understood correctly, but if you are talking about sport from PASM, those settings have nothing to do with the sound.
PASM (comfort, normal, sport) are only and ONLY for suspension. Nothing else is adjusted but the suspension.
If you press the SPORT button (on top of PSM button) that's what activates the sport exhaust and readjusts the transmission and the throttle.

And to answer the OP question...not much to do, except bypassing the exhaust system and leave the valves open at all time.
So basically you will have sport exhaust on all the time, no matter what other setting you select

Yep the lower suspension setting is labeled sport, Comfort/Normal/Sport as separate from the sport mode for sound and PDK ect
Old 02-28-2013, 07:31 AM
foster2
AutoX

ahhh, pressing the sport button also lowers the suspension to the sport mode, along with all the noise and shifting changes.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:11 AM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by foster2
ahhh, pressing the sport button also lowers the suspension to the sport mode, along with all the noise and shifting changes.
Correct or you can lower the suspension to Sport hieght with the suspension toggle, without the exhaust and PDK changes
Old 03-01-2013, 02:06 AM
racer_65
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The idea of Sound Symposer just seems really bogus. Why listen to fake, manufactured sound? A car should just sound as what it naturally sounds like.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:05 PM
igoping
AutoX

Originally Posted by racer_65
The idea of Sound Symposer just seems really bogus. Why listen to fake, manufactured sound? A car should just sound as what it naturally sounds like.
The GTS Sound Symposer is not an artificial sound. It is just an acoustic coupling via sound pipe from the intake section to the A-Pillars of the cabin. It is kind of like rolling the windows down to hear the engine better. It is all real!

If you want to know about fake sound - check out this link.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:56 PM
racer_65
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL. They should just create a new channel on the radio to listen to engine sound.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:50 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by racer_65
LOL. They should just create a new channel on the radio to listen to engine sound.
then it would be "just an artifical sound"

Quick Reply: GTS: Is Sound Symposer always on when in Sport mode?