Sponsored by:

09 CTTS vs 10 BMW X5 M

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 01:35 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts
Default 09 CTTS vs 10 BMW X5 M

Yesterday I drove an 08 CTT and an 09 GTS. The GTS (IMO) was the better of the two but I didn't pull the trigger. Today I found an 09 CTTS and a 10 BMW X5 M. I haven't driven either yet but was wondering in advance which is the better SUV? Road and Track gave the BMW the nod over the TTS. Thoughts, opinions, thanks?

BTW, I really want to offload my 09 ML550 which IMO is too top heavy with too much body roll. That's why I'm looking for a different ride experience and better performance.

Last edited by 4ocious; 01-06-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:50 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 895 Posts

I didn't read the specific comparison that you mentioned. Why did they give the nod to the BMW? In most of the comparison articles I've read, the only thing that EVER keeps the Porsche from winning is MSRP. If you take that out of the equation, the Porsche wins.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:57 PM
dawninglawrence
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when I was in the market for a Cayenne S and an X5m, I like the x5m, especially all magazines compare the x5m with cayenne turbo S and still beats the turbo S. the X5m had $9000 off MSRP due to slow sales. and the least payment (money factor) is extreme LOW, BMW financial require a credit score of 640 or higher to qualify, my Porsche sales told me Porsche needs 760 score, Porsche financial is the hardest to get approve, he had clients from MB qualify for $100K loan for an AMG, and he can't qualify to loan a $70K porsche.
So, I went and test drive the X5m, disappoints, it's totally different than what the magazine says, perhaps I didn't use the sport button???!!! it's not fast to start, and sudden acceleration (which is the most important for me when I want to pass or beat the traffic light) is very bull. So I switch over to my wife and she drives it, she told me the same thing. (she drove the new cayenne s and V6, she also test drove x5 5.0 and x5 5.0 with the M performance package which adds 40 HP) and she said the x5 5.0 is better than the X5m.
after I got home, the more I think about the it more I could believe it, perhaps I had too high expectation for the car? a week later I went to another dealer test drive another NEW x5m with my friend who had a x5 4.4, I drove it first and this time I spend more time and attention at the car, it requires a heavy foot for power, cornering has lots of toss and turn. I DO like the heads up display, I DO like the surrounding camera view. My friend is disappoint like I do.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:03 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's the "problem" with forced induction, the non-linear power band. That's what I don't like about my wife's CTT and why I like my E63 more.

That's why the OP liked the GTS more than the CTT.

It's most likely the reason why we'll replace the CTT (much later on) with a GTS instead.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:36 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,631 Likes on 2,314 Posts

I would take a v6 cayenne over any x5
I drove them all.
Porsche, there is NO substitute. don't try to fool urself.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:49 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

The problem with the X5M is that its a halfassed M compared to the 3, 5, and 6. In the X5 and X6 it is basically a power bump, some more M logos, special color options, and interior tweaks. It's drive train isn't improved and while it is lowered a bit the suspension isn't much better that the sport option gives you.

So what you end up with is a vehicle that is having an identity crisis because it doesn't know what it's supposed to be (even the standard X5 can't seem to decide if it wants to be a car or truck IMHO).

The Cayenne, on the other hand, was designed to be performance oriented from the ground up.

If you just want something that says you spent a lot of money and can go faster than any other SUV (in a straight line), then the X5M does that well. If you want something that can out perform many cars in a straight line AND curves, the CTT or GTS are the better options.

For normal gas engines I'm a NA guy, so a GTS would be my pick.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:55 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
I would take a v6 cayenne over any x5
I drove them all.
Porsche, there is NO substitute. don't try to fool urself.
Indeed. I wanted the MPG of the X5d, but still kept looking hard at the V6. Then they released the CD and there was no longer a question which brand I was going with. We like BMWs, but will go with Porsche any time we're looking at a car where they play in the same area (too bad the Pan isn't in the 5 series price range as that's likely our eventual replacement for the 3 series).
Old 01-07-2013, 09:24 AM
LaicepsYdobon
Intermediate

I was fortunate enough to be able to drive an X5M on BMW's performance course in Spartansburg, NC two years ago. I was a bit disappointed with it. Didn't have as much grunt as I was expecting it, the steering was OK if I remember correctly and there was massive tire squealing whenever you were not going in a straight line, which in all fairness could have been the tires fault or them not being inflated correctly; and there was just too much understeer for my taste. After doing a few laps I got out of the car thinking that I didn't understand why everyone was gaga over the X5M. The X5 is a pretty good truck and it would be my choice if the Porsche Cayenne didn't exist but, at least for me, the X5M doesn't knock a 957 Cayenne Turbo S out from top. Bear in mind that a new generation of X5s will be introduced this year so the one you are looking at now will be considered the "old generation". Not that this should deter you from ever owning one if you desire but there are some people whom things like this matter too.

D Motor compared a 957 Cayenne GTS and a BMW X6 5.0i and their observations about the BMW were pretty much the same as mine. Here is a video:

Motor Trend has a nice video comparing a 2011 958 Cayenne Turbo, 2011 BMW X5M and a 2012 Jeep Cherokee SRT8. The difference between the Cayenne and the BMW as very close. Enjoy the videos and keep us posted on your decision.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:25 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

having driven all 3 cars, i like the GTS the best.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:16 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Thanks everyone, GTS or TT/S for me!
Old 01-09-2013, 12:19 PM
tomphot
Intermediate

Have you seen the US News ratings?
X5 is rated Last among 16 SUVs.
I don't want the service people to know me by name.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:02 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

I'm wrestling with a similar decision. I drove an 09 GTS and a 10 X5M and prefer the GTS.

However, I also then drove an X3 3.5 and that thing is fast; mid 5 second 0-60 times as well. I'm now trying to decide between an 09 GTS and a 2013 X3 3.5 with the M sport package. A fully loaded 2013 X3 is about the same price as a 09 Cayenne GTS with less than 35k miles, actually a little less and it's new.

Right now I have an 06 X3. The M sport package on the new X3 is a nice setup. Especially like the top view camera and suspension options. It's only 300 HP with 300 ft/lbs torque but is about 1000 lbs less in weight than the Cayenne. But dam I like the Cayenne as well, especially the interior, exhaust sound, and handling.

Tough decision.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:57 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

what is up with the super low tow rating on the X3 ? I think they say 3500lbs.. when the Q5 is 4500lbs..

Aside of that the X3 is looking pretty good. I like the inside space a lot.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:12 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's just a jacked up sport wagen. The x3 is a SAV remember they deleted utility and added Activity. I actually think the exterior design language of the new x3 is really awful. Somehow the old x3 - while weird had this quirkiness I liked... The new one just looks bad period IMO. But yeah nice ish interior. Also it would be newer. But where is the swagger? Cayenne all the way.

...but if they had put out an x35d that would make me ignore the eyesore and be tempted. You don't really have to look at the outside when your are in it.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:04 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I just picked up an '09 TTS and couldn't be happier so far! I put snow tires on last night and had to pause to marvel at the MASSIVE brakes!

Quick Reply: 09 CTTS vs 10 BMW X5 M