Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 V6 thermostat housing "leaking" and quoted costs

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 08:34 AM
zagamuffin
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

I found previous owner of my 2007 3.6 v6 had removed ts, to hide a cracked reservoir. Changed the tank and fitted a new Porsche thermostat , 1 hr job really , just need to bleed system full afterwards which takes another 30 mins , easy as pie
Old 07-16-2021, 03:25 PM
Chris Porsche
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Porsche 2005 3.2 v6 Thermostat Housing Replacement

Sadly my 3.2 v6 Cayenne has developed a coolant leak. The leak is coming I understand from the thermostat housing. It appears that this is not an uncommon problem. The diagnosis has been made by a competent / honest local garage. I would be very thankful if someone could advise on what’s involved in replacing the thermostat housing, and what I can expect to pay by way of labour. The replacement part itself is I understand to be circa £150.00. Would the leak be coming from the housing or a connection hose / pipe. Apologies I’m no mechanic hence my rather lay approach.
Old 07-16-2021, 08:47 PM
zagamuffin
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Porsche
Sadly my 3.2 v6 Cayenne has developed a coolant leak. The leak is coming I understand from the thermostat housing. It appears that this is not an uncommon problem. The diagnosis has been made by a competent / honest local garage. I would be very thankful if someone could advise on what’s involved in replacing the thermostat housing, and what I can expect to pay by way of labour. The replacement part itself is I understand to be circa £150.00. Would the leak be coming from the housing or a connection hose / pipe. Apologies I’m no mechanic hence my rather lay approach.

not sure of 3.2 v 3.6 is the same so can’t say , 3.6 is pretty easy so I’d guess 1-1.5 hrs max for a garage
Old 07-17-2021, 02:40 AM
Chris Porsche
Intermediate

Default Replacement Thermostat Housing Costs

Thanks for your reply. I believe that the 3.6 has a different configuration regarding the location of the thermostat housing. I may well be incorrect but would be delighted if you were correct. I await further replies!
Old 07-18-2021, 03:11 AM
kenneth_ugalde
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello.
im in the process of replacing the thermostat and long plastic pipe on my 2004 3.2 V6 Cayenne.
Since also replacing valve cover gasket, intake is out as well. The thermostat was a bear to get out.
Some small vacuum hoses coming from the driver side to the exhaust side, broke. I need to replace these but I’m unsure where each one goes since there’s 2 and both broke of coming out of the plastic sheath protecting them.
Can someone provide the vacuum hose routing for these small hoses and if possible, the procedure according to Porsche on removal and install of the thermostat and intake manifold?

thanks
Old 07-18-2021, 02:07 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 813 Likes on 455 Posts

You should be able to find what you need in the PET: https://www.porsche.com/all/media/pd...PA_KATALOG.pdf
Old 07-30-2021, 03:48 PM
Jupiterfish
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

eurowise.com makes a billet replacement housing .
https://shop.eurowise.com/product-p/ew1351.htm

when mine goes I will get this.
Old 08-30-2021, 12:23 PM
Chris Porsche
Intermediate

Default Cayenne 3.2 V6 Thermostat Housing / Coolant Pipe

My Cayenne 3.2 (104k miles) developed a progressively drastic coolant leak over circa 1k miles. Initially nothing more than a few drips on the garage floor. A local competent garage replaced the thermostat housing and an ancillary pipe. Total cost £875.00 including labour & parts:- the parts coming in at approx £200.00. Since the repair I have covered 100 miles approx. The coolant reservoir remains full thus far. Hoping that this remains the case. It might only be the 3.2, but I can see that at this mileage this hitherto well maintained example with a documented full service history requires regular attention.

initially following purchase 12 months ago the MAF unit was replaced together with an accompanying air pipe within the system. As a preventative measure I replaced the gearbox & transfer boxes with new fluid, and same for the diffs. The front diff is a little noisy, and I worry about the timing chain. On a cold start there is a rattle which disappears for the day after 5 minutes. There appear to be various possible issues regarding this rattle ranging from the P flaps within the intake manifold to the throttle body.

However, overall I’m pleased with the vehicle. Yes, I would have preferred the V8 but the potential bore score issue was a major worry!

Quick Reply: 2006 V6 thermostat housing "leaking" and quoted costs